jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (19 posts)

Funding 'The Wall'

1. abwilliams profile image84
    abwilliamsposted 2 months ago

My man Ted Cruz has introduced Legislation to get that darn wall built. 'The El Chapo Act'- Take Millions of Dollars seized from the Drug Kingpin and...tada...Wall!

Love it! Don't ya'll Love it too?

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 2 months ago in reply to this

Where is that money going now?  That would seem to be of some importance, wouldn't it?

2. colorfulone profile image89
      colorfuloneposted 2 months ago in reply to this

Pretty sure Ted Cruz has thought this through with inside information and insight.  Seems like a good idea to me.  The opposition that wants open borders will buck it, they just don't seem to have America's best interests at heart in my opinion.

That dirty money can be used to make America safer. The wall can be in place for the next elected president, and they won't need to worry about many issues that we do now. 

Some people seem to think that Trump needs to end the CIA, and that would do more to end the drug cartels and drug epidemic.  If so, I vote for both the wall and the end of the CIA.  I want my kids and grandchildren to have a happier America then it is now.

abwilliamsposted 2 months ago in reply to this

Ditto and Amen!

2. abwilliams profile image84

It is considered forfeited assets, doubtful it is in circulation.
    It just seems a waste to leave it stacked up, in a container, on a shelf, locked away, in storage ... or wherever!
    Of course I know, utilizing the funds this way would be too easy, too simple and we must always overcomplicate everything!

I rather doubt that it is sitting on a shelf for 50 years.  No, it is being spent on something - something that would lose that amount of money if it is to be spent on a wall.  Some police departments, for instance, find a major source of funding in confiscated items used by criminals and that funding would dry up.

We both know that there is constant confiscation, in a thriving drug industry.  Sadly, there's more where that came from.
        Sounds logical to take that money, invest it in Securing our borders, assisting in keeping out the dangerous element, along with their life shattering drugs, that enter in (more often than we know)
        It's a Win-win!

It's a win-win all right...except for those that are getting the money now.  They'll lose out, and I for one would like to know who they are and what the money is being spent on before I agree it would be better spent on a wall.

1. colorfulone profile image89

It does open up a lot of room for discussion.  I would like to know which drug cartel bankers have been prospering from the confiscated funds for so many, many on going decades.

You think the cops are turning it over to VIP bankers?  I'd find that hard to believe.

1. colorfulone profile image89

No I don't think the cops are turning it over to the drug cartel banksters.  Can't turn over something they don't have.

You're right.... let's dare not think outside the box, working to improve things.
            Let us instead leave things as they are; with El Chapo-types coming across and into the welcoming arms of Sanctuary City Mayors. Let's exchange whatever common sense we may have left... for a few more radical Leftist judges that continue to put the needs of illegal law-breakers, before the safety of legal law-abiding citizens. Let's make sure that we always will find fault with every single person that seeks to change the status quo.

3. Live to Learn profile image81
    Live to Learnposted 2 months ago

Considering all the avenues open for entry into the United States I'd like to see some study on how effective the wall will be, long term. I don't see it as having the effect desired by its proponents.

That would be great...except that there is zero experience with one, leaving only opinions for answers.  Depending on whether you choose a liberal or a conservative for that opinion dictates whether the wall will do anything, nothing or everything.

Personally, I see a wall, whether stone and mortar or fencing, as more psychological deterrent than physical.  You make the call as to how effective it would be, not forgetting to factor in how many more border patrol agents will be hired and what equipment they (and the wall) will have.

1. Live to Learn profile image81
        Live to Learnposted 2 months ago in reply to this

Personally, I think enforcing the laws would be the best deterrent. A wall will do little good if the other avenues, once used, have the same result as we see now.

Funny, though. A girl who works for me got into some trouble with the law on a traffic violation. She went to court and with no prior record pretty much had the book thrown at her. There is a guy who works in the business next door. He's an illegal alien. He went to court soon after for a traffic violation. He has no license, this is a repeated offense. They didn't do anything to him, at all. I think I may start claiming to be an illegal alien. It appears they have more advantages than the rest of us.

Well, I've long been a proponent of severe punishment for hiring illegal aliens.  But, thinking of sanctuary cities and the people that support them, I'm not sure that is workable.

My wife complained of the same thing - sitting in traffic court with a friend and watching illegals (multiple) get off Driving Without Privileges multiple times with nothing but a very small fine it makes one wonder.  And wonder some more when friends are nailed to the wall for the first offence of the same thing.

My daughter and her friend were leaving downtown Orlando a few years back. They were in her truck, sitting at an intersection in left turn lane, waiting for an arrow.
          They were rear ended by a driver at full speed. He never braked. He left the scene and was picked up close by. He was here illegally. He was highly intoxicated, no insurance, no driver's license, no i.d., no registration, etc.
          Thank God I'm not one of those Parents that we see from time to time doing interviews, because they've lost loved ones to people here illegally.
          They only had minor injuries (thank God my daughter prefers driving a full-sized truck over a Prius) (don't get me started on the tin cans that kids are guilted into driving for no good reason......Another subject for another day!)
          I don't know if the guy was deported or if he is still here.

Also, when I've shared this story before, I've heard..."well people here legally get into accidents all the time"
            Libs!
            My response: this guy was a ghost, he had no worries/no cares and not a thing to lose! That makes him so much more dangerous than the average citizen.

4. abwilliams profile image84

It has to be in concert with enforcing the Immigration Laws which already exist, but have been ignored for far too long, increasing the number of Agents, not just at the border, but at sea and in the air, as well. We must put an end to sanctuary cities once and for all.

I don't want to even think about the number of people that have so easily entered, (especially over the past few years), here for one reason...To do us harm. I'm very concerned about them and how we flush them out. Focus needs to be on flushing them out, doing All of the Above and getting the wall built.
    We cannot ignore any longer!

working