Why Does GOP Thinks it is Good To Take Insurance Away from 23 Million

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (32 posts)
  1. My Esoteric profile image85
    My Esotericposted 6 years ago

OMB Dir Mulvaney said (in referring to the 23 million children, women, elderly, and disabled who will lose, or can't sign up for Medicaid)

"We are no longer going to measure compassion by the number of programs or the number of people on those programs, but the number of people we help get off of those programs," he said, arguing that it is actually compassionate to cut government spending on inefficient programs" (http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/23/politics/ … dget-cuts/)

He further says ""We're not kicking anyone off of any program who really needs it," Office of Management and Budget Director Mick Mulvaney said at a press briefing Tuesday. "We have plenty of money in this country to take care of the people who need help. And will do that."

Instead, Mulvaney argued, Trump's budget will reduce benefits for people who don't need them and move other people off benefits through job creation. http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/mulva … le/2623923

Here is the problem with the GOP, Trump, and Mulvaney's logic is this ... they actually think (I hope) that there are jobs for 23 million people to move into.  Well there isn't.  Consider:
    1. America is at full employment
    2. What jobs are available generally require skills and education
    3. Most of the people losing insurance (or other social support systems) have neither!!!

Where exactly are they going to find jobs GOP??

1. Will Apse profile image89
      Will Apseposted 6 years agoin reply to this

It takes a while to realise how cynical businesses and businessmen are. The point of taking 23 million off healthcare is to hoover up more money in tax cuts for the wealthy and remove any threat to the grossly inefficient US private healthcare system from alternatives.

2. colorfulone profile image77
    colorfuloneposted 6 years ago

First, I wouldn't ask the GOP anything. 

Second, in his first speech Trump talked about the need to invest in the American infrastructure.

1. Live to Learn profile image61
      Live to Learnposted 6 years agoin reply to this

You do realise that answer, to the question posed, sounds incredibly callous. Are you saying millions need to lose insurance to save money to invest in infrastructure?

1. colorfulone profile image77
        colorfuloneposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I was replying to "Where exactly are they going to find jobs GOP?"
        (callous?)  Was talking jobs, not insurance. 
        The GOP has had seven years to work on health care, while Obamacare is dying fast.  There is where the callous is.

2. My Esoteric profile image85
      My Esotericposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Once again, America is at full employment and if Trump happens to get his infrastructure program passed, there aren't enough skilled, trained workers who want to work (or can work) to do very many of them.  You know that huge number. 93 million, of unemployed Trump and GOP try to make you believe is real, well it isn't.

You see, that number includes 46 million teenagers and people over 60 included millions (most of who don't work and don't want to), 34 million are caregivers of the elderly, Hell, 25% of Americans are stay-at-home parents; that's 61 million people.  All in all, there are really between 10 and 13 million people who are unemployed and want work ... THOSE are the REAL facts and NOT the 93 million Trump and the GOP lie to you about.

3. wilderness profile image94
    wildernessposted 6 years ago

I see Blue cross is dropping out of more of the ObamaCare plans; it has lost 100M in the last three years, and even large corporations have to close the door eventually.  And they are neither the first nor the last we'll see stem the bleeding.

Maybe, just maybe, we can't afford the massive boondoggle of ObamaCare?  Maybe, just maybe, the wonderful projections that the cost to the nation would go down as we insured additional millions of people - that it actually costs money to provide health care?

While I think we can provide some form of care (although not the gold standard of our best insurance programs) to everyone, it isn't through faux "insurance" programs whose only claim to fame was to shift the cost from one to another.

1. colorfulone profile image77
      colorfuloneposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I just read some headlines about that with Blue Cross this morning.  Obamacare is imploding on its own.  Sad that officials wasted so much time and money on that scam and forced citizens to pay for a go into debt card.

4. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 6 years ago

-- Obama knew single payer  was not sustainable from the beginning
    -- Obama Care IS self imploding , has been for two years and longer .
    -- Obama Care included a guaranteed profit margin  for insurers , you didn't know ?
    -- The proper blame belongs with democratic leadership   
    -- There is NO constitutional clause  for insuring anyone at others costs
    -- Pelosi , Clinton , Sanders , Reid , Fienstien , Boxer , and many many democratic "leaders " lied to you all .
    -- Repealing is the only route to chose , if we ARE to have a single payer , we'd better all be prepared for  incredible tax increases immediately at the federal and state levels.
    -- Democrats ,  Stop blaming republicans  , independents for your own selfishness .

ahorseback:

- Obamacare is not single-payer
      - Is Obamacare imploding?  If you think so, then you are buying into Fake News. Instead, read this http://www.factcheck.org/2017/03/gops-o … premature/ (or any other fact checking site)
      - Obamacare does not include a guaranteed profit margin for insurers, you have it backwards.  Obamacare requires insurers to spend AT LEAST 80% of their sales on health related expenses , you didn't know?  In fact, because of this my company and my employees have received refunds from United Health Care ever since ACA began.
      - The proper blame is on the GOP's six-year campaign to destroy Obamacare and scaring the insurers.
      - There is no Constitutional clause for Social Security, Medicare, driver's license or thousands of other state and federal requirements either
      - Ryan, Trump, and almost other Republicans are lying to you
      - If AHCA passes, or anything else like it, 23 million will lose their insurance; mostly poor, children, elderly, and disabled as well as 800% higher premiums for the elderly (those that can still afford it, that is); many of those with preexisting conditions will no longer be able to get insurance.  In short, the only ones that benefit from the GOP plan are the young, the healthy, and the rich.
      AND
      Why do insurers say it will be the GOP's fault if ACA fails? 

http://fortune.com/2017/04/02/will-obam … ald-trump/

1. wilderness profile image94
        wildernessposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Well, the GOP obviously scared Blue Cross...a hundred million scares.  That's how much they lost in the last 3 years and why they're dropping out in some areas.  Much the same with others; they're afloat in a sea of red they're so scared, and more and more are dropping out from that fear.

Fear they'll go bankrupt if they don't stop the bleeding.

No, the GOP refused to appropriate the funds to pay back insurers for their part of the subsidy cost sharing or to fund insurers from expected losses due to healthy people refusing to sign up, choosing to screw you if they get sick.

1. wilderness profile image94
            wildernessposted 6 years agoin reply to this

"Pay back the subsidy".  As in premiums were insufficient to cover costs.  Because young healthy people were being charged double what their statistical risk indicated and thus declined to be an open wallet for the country.

All the spin in the world won't change that ObamaCare was nothing more than another attempt to share the wealth, to provide what people wanted but didn't want to pay for.  As a philosophy it is a failure and as a practical solution experience shows it to be just as big a failure.

1. profile image0
              ahorsebackposted 6 years agoin reply to this

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=

And yes, they are scared of going BK because the GOP keeps trying to kill ACA.

I see you agree with my response to your false statements about ACA

2. profile image0
        promisemposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Well said -- rational, fact based and thorough.

5. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
    Kathryn L Hillposted 6 years ago

"… Miss D.C. stepped up to answer a question about the most currently contentious subject in the country: “Do you think affordable health care for all U.S. citizens is a right or a privilege, and why?”

McCullough, a 25-year-old scientist who works at the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, tied in her own experience to her answer. “I’m definitely going to say it’s a privilege,” she said. “As a government employee, I am granted health care. And I see firsthand that for one to have health care, you need to have jobs. So therefore, we need to continue to cultivate this environment that we’re given the opportunities to have health care as well as jobs to all the American citizens worldwide.”

6. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

Having Health Care Insurance is not a right. Getting it if you want it and can afford it, is. Make sure it is affordable ... in a free market where competition keeps the rates low.

So your position is "no job, no insurance" and "have a job that doesn't offer insurance, no insurance" and if you get sick, too damn bad, it is your fault and should suffer the consequences.

Very social Darwinist of you.

1. Will Apse profile image88
        Will Apseposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Just cut to the chase. It is needlessly cruel and mean-minded.

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
        Kathryn L Hillposted 6 years agoin reply to this

How are the capable mommy and daddy birds who must drop worms into the squawking open beaks in their own nests to survive if the less capable birds from all the trees of the land are also holding up their squawking beaks?

7. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

Each person has the right to contribute to his own survival in the ways and means he chooses to survive. Furthermore, through independence and self-reliance, he becomes stronger and stronger.

Those who continually receive assistance from others become weaker and weaker by getting into the habit of depending on them. Perhaps, if we (society) felt the appropriate urgency regarding this matter, schools would not be so ineffective toward the goal of individual independence. I could go on and on. Its not rocket science! The strong can help those who are temporarily out of luck and/or ailing in their own families and communities as they so choose ...
    as has been done since the beginning of time.

Dependent
    2 reliant on, relying on, counting on; sustained by.
    3 addicted to, reliant on; hooked on.
    4 reliant, needy; helpless, weak, infirm, invalid, incapable; debilitated, disabled.

And that Katheryn is just an opinion not based on fact (beyond a few anecdotes).  I suspect you would be able to use that philosophy to excel as a woman in Saudi Arabia or in America in the 1950s.  It took laws and regulations and, god forbid, assistance for women, as a group, to get within striking distance of shattering the glass ceiling America.  Maybe in another 50 or 100 years it might happen

8. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

The strong and capable need others who are the same to work and network with. They sure don't need those are weak and dependent. Why would you want to facilitate and contribute toward weakness and dependence?

1. profile image0

Besides  , Name one federal , state or locally government run  service that is fiscally efficient and  produces ANYTHING   effectively - Name one ?

We will be waiting .    !

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

tick tock

1. profile image0

Vermont  ,my home ,  just announced that to maintain Obama -Care , AHCA ,whatever we call it this week ,  It will take  approx.  4 billion with a B  a year to maintain .   

Problems arise  in  the state  legislature though ,  The entire state budget was $   1. 8 Billion last year ?  Anyone else see a problem with the addition on this one ?

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

What if Obama had been elected for another four years? Then would the left had been happy ... as far as the addition and the state of the Union?

Tick tock ….

1. profile image0

Oh  by the way ,  the estimated cost to Vermont  $4 Billion ,   cost  to California was -I think, $ 400 Billion a year ,I thought the numbers -multiplier  was interesting  this came from Breitbart News the other day .

I don't remember who did the study .

Given the reality of today, you betcha the Left would have been happy ... as would the Middle and some of the Right.

Sorry, Google turned up no references to your assertion from credible news sources; in fact, it found none at all.

Define "Produces".  Do you mean manufacture, like airplanes, offers services like the FAA?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)