jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

RACISM or EXCUSES in America

1. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 3 weeks ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13147951.jpg
    The subject of racism is one of great contention in the American fabric.  There are those who vehemently maintain that racism is still a mainstay in the United States.  There are even some who contend that racism is becoming even worse, citing the decline of the quality of life among Blacks & other non-Caucasians including the quality of education, jobs, police mentality, & the increase of incarceration rates.  Others proclaim that the issue of racism is merely a ruse for victimology.  They maintain that America is the land of equal opportunity for all-all one has to do is to take advantage of the opportunities presented & even create opportunities for themselves.  They go as far to assert that if recent immigrants who come to America w/very little to nothing can become successful, so can Americans who have been here for generations.  Your thoughts?   Do you feel that there is racism in America or are people using racism as an....excuse for their lack of achievement?

1. AshtonFirefly profile image82
      AshtonFireflyposted 3 weeks ago in reply to this

This is a really good question.
        Although I do believe that the United States has progressed to the point of there being less racism than before, I do not at all discredit the complaints of some that they are being hindered by racism. I think it really depends on what geographical location you are in. Here in Kentucky, yes absolutely, if you are not white, you WILL have persons discriminating against you. In places such as Florida, however, where the races are more equalized throughout the state, that is not a problem whatsoever. In fact, I had trouble finding a job because I could not speak Spanish.
        Yes, I do think there are many cases where people blame racism where it does not exist, but typically on an individual basis. If an entire community or state is complaining about a racism problem, I take it a bit more seriously.
        As a white person, I don't feel, however, that I'm really capable of being as knowledgeable in this area as someone who is not. I will not have experienced first hand any kind of discrimination (except Florida) so subtle acts of it, or even blatant ones, may not even fall under my radar, simply because it's not being directed at me.
        So I guess a more direct answer to your question would be, a little bit of both, depending on where you live.

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image85
    Kathryn L Hillposted 3 weeks ago

There is less racism than ever before here in So. Cal. Whoever feels discriminated against, go west till you get to Venice, CA. Then make yer way to LA and surrounding areas. You can't loose, no matter what race you are. If you do loose, its not because of race ---> its most likely because you are not tech savvy. GM, as you are well aware, if you don't have computer skills, heaven help you. You won't even be able to apply for a job, no matter who you are.

1. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 3 weeks ago in reply to this

Exactly, this is the postmodern, computerized era.  There was a book that I read two decades ago stating that those w/o computer skills, no matter what race, are going to become the new poor.   Race is now fading into what type of skill set one has.   No skills, no decent job.  The Mcjobs are decreasing for humans, becoming more automated. 

The future belongs to those who are highly educated & skilled.   Even the solidly middle class w/o transferrable computer skills are becoming the new poor.  Skills are in DEMAND.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image85
        Kathryn L Hillposted 3 weeks ago in reply to this

Yep, its all about skills and how helpful you can be to others. Money, (or whatever form it becomes,) is (currently) certificates of productivity. You need those certificates, or bit coins or proofs of productivity. Its up to each of us to GET THEM!

Now, about all those homeless people in LA!
        http://www.latimes.com/socal/daily-pilo … story.html

I really think the biggest problem is not racial issues. Its a lack of scientific understanding as far as the proper raising of children. Children need an appropriate environment. Without this environment which includes all the activities and experiences a child needs to master himself and develop survival skills in the modern world, (whatever those skills are or will be!!???), love may not be enough. One can hope and pray that familial love is a fail-safe, but these homeless people prove it isn't.

Parents need to figure out how they can help their children become helpful to others and fit into society. The ideal is to help the child develop their talents according to their intrinsic motivations, interests and natural abilities. We need to facilitate every child's strengths.

And we can never give up on our offspring. I do not believe in just turning our young adults loose into the world. I believe we should always be there for them. When they fall on hard times we can help them recover. I wish all those homeless people could have been helped (somehow) by their own families.

working