jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (11 posts)

Government-funded NPR tweets anti-Trump propaganda

1. promisem profile image94
    promisemposted 2 weeks ago

At least that's what Trump supporters thought. It turns out NPR tweeted the Declaration of Indepdence on the 4th of July.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the … 4da2b6b9f5

Are we as a country becoming more divided and ignorant than ever?

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 2 weeks ago in reply to this

To be fair, I'm not sure I'd recognize it either - not the way it was presented in 140 character posts with other posts in between.  Looking at some of the comments, others felt the same way - a single sentence, completely without context, was taken wrong.

(what made you decide that all the negative comments were from Trump supporters?  Or any of them for that matter?  Because all Trump supporters are stupid and uneducated?)

2. ptosis profile image76
      ptosisposted 2 weeks ago in reply to this

The Dumbing Down Of America: Mission Accomplished

"Journalist Charles Pierce, author of Idiot America, adds another perspective: “The rise of idiot America today represents--for profit mainly, but also and more cynically, for political advantage in the pursuit of power--the breakdown of a consensus that the pursuit of knowledge is a good. It also represents the ascendancy of the notion that the people whom we should trust the least are the people who best know what they are talking about. In the new media age, everybody is an expert"

https://i1.wp.com/havokjournal.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/abe-lincoln-meme.jpg?resize=232%2C300

1. Will Apse profile image91
        Will Apseposted 2 weeks ago in reply to this

It is the Digital Dark Age.

2. wilderness profile image95

Well put - a good quote and all too applicable to what we see today.

2. AshtonFirefly profile image82
    AshtonFireflyposted 2 weeks ago

I want to laugh at this and say how stupid people are for not realizing this, except I probably wouldn't have either, at a glance. Sadly, I should recognize it.

3. MizBejabbers profile image91
    MizBejabbersposted 2 weeks ago

Not being on Twitter, I can't judge the presentation, but overall, I think it may not have been an intelligent thing to do. However, commercial broadcasting looks upon public broadcasting as being not very professional anyway. I'm not sure what their motive would be, or what kind of a point NPR was trying to make. I can say for sure that it was exercising its right to free speech under the U.S. Constitution. I would have recognized the quotes as being from the constitution, but knowing that is part of my job in my profession anyway. I'm not sure why the average person would be expected to recognized any but the most famous quotes. Citizens my age probably have long forgotten what they learned in civics and government classes, and regrettably, students aren't required to take those courses anymore.

1. promisem profile image94
      promisemposted 2 weeks ago in reply to this

The issue for me is not so much that people didn't recognize it. It's that they thought it was "trash", "spam" and "propaganda".

1. MizBejabbers profile image91
        MizBejabbersposted 2 weeks ago in reply to this

Wow! And Trump tweets aren't? (by their standards).

2. wilderness profile image95

"When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people..."

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are..."

I think I'd recognize these sentences if they were long enough (I didn't count characters and they were limited to 140 per post), but probably not much of anything else.  Coming cold upon almost any other 140 character segment of the declaration would most likely leave me wondering what was being discussed.

4. Marisa Wright profile image94
    Marisa Wrightposted 2 weeks ago

"the ascendancy of the notion that the people whom we should trust the least are the people who best know what they are talking about."

Pretty much sums it up.

working