jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

What is the difference Between Nationalism and Patriotism?

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 7 years ago

Often I get the two confused and wonder if you do too.
    Perhaps you can shed some example here.

2. Profmaggy profile image61
    Profmaggyposted 7 years ago

Patriotism is a love of your country.  (While accepting that other people love their country and culture too.)

Nationalism is to be avoided.  Think how the word Nazi came about.
    It refers to believing in one country or political power being more important or superior to another.  This also includes the belief that your culture is better than another and other cultures should be eradicated as inferior.
    That is nationalism at its extreme and you just have to look at history over the centuries to see that.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
      Eaglekiwiposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Oh wow thanks for that explanation!! I did have some of that information in my mind correct but basically did not have the Nationalism part quite right.

3. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 7 years ago

A patriot stands for the national anthem to show respect.

A nationalist stands for the national anthem so he can spit on anyone who sits.

4. 0
    Leta Sposted 7 years ago

Well, nationalism is actually an ideology--bigger than definitions given yet:

5. Murilion profile image46
    Murilionposted 7 years ago

I think patriotism only apply in war ,in peace it is rarely nationalism happen when product from abroad is more likely appealing then domestic product

6. Make  Money profile image69
    Make Moneyposted 7 years ago

Yeah wikipedia gives a clear distinction between Patriotism and Nationalism.  Although during the 19th century, being patriotic became increasingly conflated with nationalism, and even Jingoism, an extreme patriotism in the form of aggressive foreign policy.

7. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image59
    VENUGOPAL SIVAGNAposted 7 years ago

Patriotism has some boundaries. It is sincerity towards one's own country and its government. It is one's commitment to uphold the sovereignty of a country.

Nationalism has no boundaries. It is one's imaginary land where one particular ethnic/ religious groups intends to establish a nation.

It is patriotism if an Indian restricts his ideals applicable to a land from Kashmir to Kanyakumari, from Arunachal Pradesh to Gujarat.  But if one wishes to establish a larger India from Kandahar to Kamarup and from Kashmir to Kanyakumari and far-east, it is nationalism., ie., to include the lands where ancient India's borders stretched at different times.