Conscription?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (19 posts)
  1. aka-dj profile image66
    aka-djposted 14 years ago

It seems(from a lot of documentaries I have seen lately) that there is growing problem with youth gangs all over the world. Mostly in large cities, esp in the US. Perhaps conscription should be re-introduced. Take these troublesome youth off the streets. Instead of waiting for them to kill (and end up in jail), or be killed, way too early.
    It may be a way of giving them an understanding of what "normal and acceptable" social behavior is. I would qualify this suggestion by saying that none of them should be forced to go into battle in any wars as "automatic". They could be given the choice to decide that for themselves.
    Having spent 4yrs in the military myself, it helped me mature, and become a more responsible person, contributing to society in a positive way.
    I wonder what your thoughts are. Orperhaps you have another (better) suggestion. smile
    PS. Not sure this should be in the "politics" forum, but it seems to be the closest fit from the list. big_smile

1. nicomp profile image61
      nicompposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Brilliant. Let's do it. On the first gang-related offense they get the choice of enlisting or moving to Gitmo.

You have moved into a strong second place on my list of presidential hopefuls. And thank you for your service to our country.

aka-djposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks. Interestingly, though I'm not "in your country", I DID serve your country, (USAF) 1974-78. I guess I don't qualify for president. (certainly wouldn't want the job. big_smile

2. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

Conscription for whom? All youths? Or just the troublesome ones?

For the whole - I'd be against it - were I of the age where I could be strong-armed into the military. I have nothing against the military, my partner is in the army. However I still would rather have the choice.

That said - perhaps a regime involving military training would be no bad thing for youths that simply cannot or will not observe the law.

Having worked with many 'disaffected' youths, I can say with clarity that juvenile lock-up does not have the desired effect. They continue to break laws on the inside (those that are inclined) and have always returned to freedom full of piss and vinegar regarding how they served their 'time'. Their friends give kudos (for their survival tales) which empowers them even more.

They have then gone onto to revisit the bad habits that led to their loss of freedom in the first place. I cannot begin to add up how much time I spent hanging around police stations and courthouses due to persistent young offenders.

I remember watching a program recently, concerning boot camp as an alternative to prison. It was based in America. The results were far better than if the individuals had spent time inside a juvenile institution.

As an alternative to juvenile detnetion centres - I'd give some form of military training/boot camp a thumbs up.

3. kerryg profile image83
    kerrygposted 14 years ago

I support mandatory national service programs (probably of 1-3 years) with the option of military service, but I don't think it should be the only option. Programs like the Civilian Conservation Corps should be revived and programs like the Peace Corps and Teach for America expanded. I know some food activists also want a program whereby chef trainees spend a few years cooking in school lunchrooms in an attempt to improve the quality of school lunches, and I think that's a neat idea too.

4. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 14 years ago

lol

All the religionists want to increase the size of the army. Odd how that works.......... lol

1. nicomp profile image61
      nicompposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Trollin' Trollin' Trollin' ...

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
        Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

Got anything to say religionist? Apparently not. Put 'em in the army, teach 'em the word a god. lol

Have you done any service in the military? hmm

2. aka-dj profile image66

Ahh, you are such a funny man. lol
      I noticed you never suggested anything. Maybe you don't have any thoughts on the issue. sad

I think sticking all the teenagers in the army is an extremely bad idea.

We already have far too much government interference in our lives as it is. At least in the UK - the problem has been caused by too many CCTV cameras, lack of reasonable jobs for young people because the government Inc had completely fucked up the economy in favor of the banks and for want of a better word - no "family values - caused by the relentless need for "growth" that the government Inc wants - meaning most families need two jobs to survive.

Making military service mandatory would mean several things.

1. There would be no more young people in the work place, which would skew the "free market" even more than it is skewed.
        2. We would be completely reliant on the government Inc to provide vocational training in the services.
        3. It would cost a fortune and I do not want even more taxes.
        4. You would have an enormous standing army which is dangerous for everyone except the banks and the government Inc.

smile

1. This point is a bit narrow minded, in that not all youth would be sent to the army at once. The free market would probably benefit by lowering the unemployment that many of these kids would experience. Typically, (here in Aus, the highest rate of unemployment is amongst school-leavers.)
          2. Not completely, but it would help, esp.for those who come from broken/disfunctional homes. (Probably) the biggest cause of the problem in the first place. If society is going to have youth, it should (collectively) bear resposibility for their behavior.
          3.Coast? I think you are already bearing the cost! It would simply be redirected.(from correctional facilities, to military training)
          4. Perhaps, but these youth would only serve for a period of(say 2 yrs). There may be a surge in the initial two years, then stabilize as many would exit, and be replaced.
          You still haven't contributed your own suggestion, though. cool

lol

OK -

Change our value system.

3. ledefensetech profile image68
      ledefensetechposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not all of us.  A conscript army or national service is nothing more than slavery.  That's what you get when you take people's choices away.  You can dress it up anyway you want but a pig in a dress is still a pig.

5. Colebabie profile image59
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

To me I don't see it as a good option. It takes a certain type of person to be able to handle the diffculties of the military and war. Mandating that teens who already have issues enlist in the military is not a solution.

There is a military-style camp in my county that parents/courts can send their teens to. I had a friend go there once and he definitely came out more disciplined and a better person. But the actual military is a different story. You can give someone the option of whether they go to war or not, but many feel it is their duty to go when called. I have had too many friends return from war with PTSD.

To reduce the number of gangs is to increase community programs to keep teens occupied. That's only one way.

Peace corp is for adults, which most people join gangs when they are teens, so you aren't getting them early enough. Teach for America is for recent college graduates, again, I don't think you're getting them early enough. Both amazing programs, but most people are already determined and independent who apply.

Whatever works. I don't think any community needs to live in fear. Sadly, we are seeing a rise in gang related incidents in our own big cities. (Another US export hmm)

6. aka-dj profile image66
    aka-djposted 14 years ago

Now that's a B I G ask! big_smile

I know - but I think it is the only answer. You have given me an idea for a hub though. I will let you know when it is finished. After I have finished working out what proportion of the population already works for the government Inc.

In the UK they are busy painting white lines on the roads and putting up more cameras.

In Spain they are moving statues from one location to another and then moving them back a few weeks later. (They daren't build any more houses - they already have 2 million empty bank-owned homes) lol

What has the government Inc done for you lately? big_smile

No need, I get notified automatically when one of my fans publishes a new hub.(including you)ha ha.
        Thought about it.. . .HMM not sure? Nothing stands out. I didn't (and probably won't) get the $900 stimulus handout. Why? I still haven't done my tax return. lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)