Should Gov. Mark Sanford Resign? Impeached? Be forgiven by his wife?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (23 posts)
  1. Ralph Deeds profile image65
    Ralph Deedsposted 14 years ago

How does Sanford's behavior rank in the recent rash of policicians' sexual pecadillos--Sen. Larry Craig,Gov. Elliot Spitzer, Pres. Bill Clinton, Sen. John Edwards, Sen. John Ensign, Sen. David Vitter, Rep. Newt Gingrich. Does anyone else remember the scandal involving powerful congressman Wilbur Mills caught driving drunk with Fanne Foxe, an Argentinian stripper, who jumped into the Tidal Basin in an effort to escape D.C. park police? Now that was a real scandal! (Mills was re-elected the following year with a 60% margin.)

1. ledefensetech profile image68
      ledefensetechposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Strange he seems to be acting more out of character than your rank and file politician.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/07 … latestnews

I offhand can't think of one other politician who has gone so far as to actually apologize and actually put it down in writing.  It speaks better of his character than say, Billy Clinton, with his "depends on what your definition of is is".

1. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Guess in today's America a little bit of sexual scandal helps to get re-elected. smile

1. Eaglekiwi profile image75
          Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

S'posed to be good for your heart.

2. Inspirepub profile image73
    Inspirepubposted 14 years ago

Well, he's stupid - I mean, if you want to have multiple relationships at once and you are in public office it behooves you to get the agreement of your public partner before you head down that Appalacian trail - but it's the same kind of stupid most other male politicians are, so if he should resign, so should have a whole lot of others, including JFK, Clinton, etc.

I don't think being a goose in your private life necessarily prevents you from doing your job as a politician - such as that is.

If he was in a job that required a high level of honesty and integrity, yeah, perhaps he should resign.

But he's just a politician.

Jenny

3. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

It wouldn't be "nice", but if they did this stuff and then said, "Yeah, I did it.  It's my business," then at least they'd seem like grown-up men (with bad judgment, disregard for their office, and lack of self-control, perhaps, but grown-up men nonetheless).  Instead, these clowns do whatever and then show up sniveling and apologizing and talking to their clergy etc. etc., which makes them look like even bigger idiots.  It just becomes a matter of "big, immature, babies on parade".

I don't necessarily think this guy should resign, but I think the option of running for office again should be closed to him.  Impeached?  I'm not sure.  I haven't read the details of any possible impeachable offenses.  The wife?  Who knows.  If she married that unappealing looking man in the first place there's no accounting for her taste in men.  If she doesn't mind, and if a guy with no pride, self-respect, or respect for her is ok with her - good luck to her.  A lot of women stay married to losers.

4. livewithrichard profile image73
    livewithrichardposted 14 years ago

Sanfords personal life should have no bearing on his ability to do his job.  The fact that he used taxpayer money to embark on his sexual tryst in another country is unexcusable.  Not sure if it's even impeachable if he pays it back from his personal funds.

I think he's lost favor with most South Carolinians and his remainder time in office will be fruitless.  I don't particularly like the mans politics but I have met him and he is very approachable and nice. 

I think he will forever pay the price for his indiscretion, he was going to be the front runner for the Republican party in 2012.  I don't see that happening now.  Actually I couldn't see him at all in the running for what little he has done for South Carolina in his 2 terms as Governor.  The schools are still near the worst in the nation.

5. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 14 years ago

I don't know if Sanford should resign but he should definitely shut up. I'm expecting him to come out any minute here and read some poetry he wrote about the light his affair has shed on the human condition, or maybe do an interpretative dance about the plight of southern politicians vis a vis the human soul.

Sheeesh! TMI! TMI! Shut up, will you Mark?

Talk about a SNAG! (Sensitive New Age Guy.)

Plus there he is on national TV saying he's working on his marriage but his mistress was the love of his life. Is he stupid? Does he think this is the way to save his marriage? Even if he's telling the truth and the affair was the high point of his crappy existence, if he wants to save his marriage he's supposed to say it meant nothing and it was all about the sex.

He must have a lot of money for his wife to listen to his endless bullshit and keep him anyway. smile

lol money money money must be funny in a rich mans world
      I didnt see the news last night , but aside from the fact he appears to have been quite the busy lil bee ,doesnt it suggest he is a stranger to the truth ?

Gosh any  normal person ,would just leave quietly and hide-out for a while ( I would) lol

2. profile image0
      Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

OMG.  He's saying that in regards to his mistress?  If I were his wife, I would dump his sorry butt for the carrion and make off with the largest divorce settlement I could wrangle and go off to find the high point of my life.

Like I say, stupid is probably one of the least attractive traits I can think of.  Nobody wants 'the truth.'....which leads me to believe its an act to benefit...something...who knows.

But who cares, really, when we have Michael Jackson coverage 24/7?....frankly, its probably all a show to distract our attention from the situation in Iran.

1. profile image0
        pgrundyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I get the sense he's kind of enjoying the total lack of personal boundaries. I don't think it's a ploy to distract us. I think the man is just a horse's ass. Like, it's just a gift or something. smile

1. profile image0
          Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, I do think these 'light' news stories (the coverage being so omnipotent and primary) are something of a ploy.  They always are.

But now that I have heard more about this Sanford/affair thing--I almost feel sorry for the horse's ass.  He should absolutely resign, because he is embarrassing everybody--and if he's really in love, well then he should go for it and not treat his wife like she's yesterday's lunch.  That's spineless...or maybe he thinks its along the lines of some kind of sacrifice a la "We'll always have Paris," only he's emoting everywhere, so selfless sacrifice would not be the thing here.  He needs to leave--and not officially because he had an affair--but because he's causing a serious distraction and embarrassment to his office and to the state.

6. Ralph Deeds profile image65
    Ralph Deedsposted 14 years ago

Here's a link to the bizarre Wilbur Mills/Fanne Foxe, the "Argentine Firecracker," scandal.
    http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic … 35,00.html

7. LondonGirl profile image81
    LondonGirlposted 14 years ago

I read a fantastic blog post along similar lines to this, "Mark Sanford is the King of TMI":

http://politicalpackrat.blogspot.com/20 … f-tmi.html

8. Eaglekiwi profile image75
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Well according to a similar thread I posted when the story first broke, I was informed quite strongly that morals (and lying) have nothing to do with being a good politician( silly me) and that is why  America has separation of Church and State and blah blah blah.

Whatever

lol

Mark has  had two vacations since tearfully revealing his infidality ,gosh , poor baby needed a break.

Those Southerners sure are friendly smile

9. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

For mine? Definitely. I just love a good sexual scandal. With detailed pics please smile

10. Eaglekiwi profile image75

Marks Sanfords must have a healthy heart then  lol

1. Ralph Deeds profile image65
      Ralph Deedsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I hope Sanford is Palin's running mate in 2012. Or vice versa.

1. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think they both would be overqualified for the job. An elephant and a monkey will be all what is required to win. tongue

1. k@ri profile image85
          k@riposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Misha, you crack me up!!! big_smile

11. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

I sure tried Kari! smile

12. Eaglekiwi profile image75

Marks off on another vacation !! 3 in one month , omg , I definately need to get into politics .

The perks and benefits are the bomb and if ya do screw up (pardon the pun) ya get a couple of vacations . Niiiiiiiiice one SC.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)