jump to last post 1-17 of 17 discussions (53 posts)

Presidential comparison quiz

1. nicomp profile image61
    nicompposted 7 years ago

If George W. Bush had made a joke at the expense of the Special Olympics, would you have approved?

If George W. Bush had given Tony Blair a set of inexpensive and useless (to Tony Blair's UK video formatting) DVDs, when Tony Blair had given him a thoughtful and historically significant gift, would you have approved?

If George W. Bush had given the Queen of England an iPod containing videos of his speeches, would you have approved?

If George W. Bush had bowed to the King of Saudi Arabia, would you have approved?

If George W. Bush had visited  Austria and made reference to the non-existent "Austrian language," would you have brushed it off as a minor slip?

If George W. Bush had filled his cabinet and circle of advisers with people who cannot seem to keep current on their income taxes, would you have approved?

If George W. Bush had ordered the firing of the CEO of a major corporation, even though he had no constitutional authority to do so, would you have approved?

If George W. Bush dictated where the corporate headquarters of a major corporation would be located, would you have approved?

If George W. Bush had proposed to double the national debt, which had taken more than two centuries to accumulate, in one year, would you have approved?

If George W. Bush had then proposed to double the debt again within 10 years, would you have approved?

2. Drew Breezzy profile image80
    Drew Breezzyposted 7 years ago

haha no "If George W. Bush had given the Queen of England an iPod containing videos of his speeches, would you have approved" talk about an insult and vanity

3. girly_girl09 profile image77
    girly_girl09posted 7 years ago

Love this. big_smile I do wonder what the answers to these questions would be ALL the time, for our current, sitting President.

It saddens me how biased people are.

Oh, well. Time will tell.

4. JonTutor profile image60
    JonTutorposted 7 years ago

Stop defending a moron..... Bush was the worst President ever.... We made new enemies and lost old friends.

1. girly_girl09 profile image77
      girly_girl09posted 7 years ago in reply to this

Nicomp raises a good point. It's his right to do so.

We're not defending anyone, simply raising a plausible question that produces answers that are uncomfortable, for many.

Also - please look up the definition of the word moron. I find it very disrespectful to anyone who has ever known, worked with or lived with a child with mental retardation. I am tired of people using words such as moron, stupid and retarded in a callous, disrespectful, not to mention incorrect manner.

Lastly, we've had tons of "worst presidents ever" if your definition of making new enemies and losing old friends is what determines what makes a good president or not.

1. JonTutor profile image60
        JonTutorposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Why are you so upset....Don't tell me you are a republican.... there I got ya...  It's my right to call a spade a spade.... Do you go around refuting the crap about Obama's birth certificate.... I guess not.... Listen lady you know very well I didn't mean moron in that context...mental retardation (although I have my doubts about Bush)...LOL.. Sure he was the worst President for starting a war based on lie... we have no credibility left in the world... our European friends now distrust us... the unnecessary Iraq war plot by neocon think tanks has drained all our money....only his rich friends in arms/oil industry benefitted.... only they keep making tons of money... they talk about Big Biz less Gov but when there rich friends are in trouble what do they do.... initiate bailouts to help out there rich top executive business friends in companies like AIG.... while they went to expensive trips with our tax money.... both my step dad and mom lost there jobs.... I work my ass off over 60 hours a week at 3 jobs.... gotta finish my degree... oh yes those rich republicans sure don't have to worry coz there kids go to ivy league schools..... finish there med or law schools.... the Palin lady just resigned maybe she couldn't take the heat as Gov and she wanted to be the VP...Gosh... oh wait maybe she wouldn't have got those shopping perks in NY...LOL..don't they love talking about joe six pack when they don't seem to care for an average joe.  This place seems to be full of republicans who maybe neocons who can't tolerate voices from folks like us.

1. tksensei profile image60
          tksenseiposted 7 years ago in reply to this

How is that "I got ya"? Is it supposed to be an insult? I think you may be confused. It's liberals who are ashamed to be called what they are.

What confusion... proud to be a liberal.... there you go.

2. tksensei profile image60

Maybe you should choose your words more carefully.

3. tksensei profile image60

Lie? No.

Stop picking out my sentences apart... try responding as a whole.... WMD was a lie... and you know it..... I gotta run now for Pizza delivery... Adios.

I don't know it and niether do you.

4. tksensei profile image60

You think that just started with President Bush? LOL!

1. Misha profile image76
            Mishaposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I would have thought long before... smile

правильный

5. tksensei profile image60

You don't see how illogical that statement was?

lol I'll have you know that by the time I finish law school, I will have around 150-175k of loans. So, I can't be that rich!!!!! Also, I'm not going to an Ivy League school.

Once I turned 18, I didn't receive any handouts. I don't expect them, either. That's how my parents grew up and that's how I was raised.

I am an only child but my parents think it is important to pay for your own college and everything else. Obviously it is pretty scary that I will have that much debt, but I'll manage somehow!

You, your parents, and folks like you are a part of what makes this country great.

2. Misha profile image76

I have no doubt you will smile

3. JonTutor profile image60

All the best lady... You will surely do well... Good education along with good connections is a definite recipe for successful career. Sorry if I sounded rude.... We folks are really having a rough time.... Gotta worry about my kid brother/sister too... I have a passion for flying... had to work hundreds of extra unpaid hours to be able to attain my certification.... Life sure ain't easy for folks who have to worry about a roof over there heads..... I gotta stop now.

6. tksensei profile image60

You think the democrats do?

2. ledefensetech profile image79
        ledefensetechposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Speaking as someone who has worked with so-called retarded kids they're actually pretty bright.  Oh they'd manipulate and act like they didn't know what was going on if you let them, but they are certainly more capable than they let on. 

Besides it's an insult to compare kids with mental retardation to politicians.  Politicians are definitely dumber.

2. nicomp profile image61
      nicompposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I don't make or lose friends based on who the president might be. And the United States has no friends, only interests.

1. maven101 profile image79
        maven101posted 7 years ago in reply to this

nicomp....profound, and quite true...

5. maven101 profile image79
    maven101posted 7 years ago

Oh, the humanity !!! The debasement of GW Bush continues...such deep hatred, such stiffened necks...such poppycock...

GW, Yale BA in Biz Ad, MBA Harvard Business School...served in the National Guard in one of the most dangerous service occupations; flying a jet fighter after mastering all the technical requirements and displaying flying skills that put him in the top 20% of applicants for that position...

History will judge GW, not some cockamamie Bush haters...

1. livewithrichard profile image85
      livewithrichardposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Not sure where you got your info but G.W. has been quite upfront about the fact that he was ranked 894 out of 899 in the Naval Academy.  He rode the shirt-tales of his grandfather,father and their friends.

I don't hate Bush.  I appreciate his sacrifices for our country, but I certainly wouldn't put him on a pedestal for doing the most good.

When we as a nation can stop throwing around words like liberal or conservative like they're daggars then we may accomplish things as a united people.  All these words and parties do is divide us.

Pam is right, we need to grow up!

1. Misha profile image76

Shouldn't it go both ways then? I can't remember Pam telling people to grow up when they bashed Bush. I am all for judging presidents by what really matters, but I don't like double standards...

I meant for us as a people not anyone specifically on this board.  You're right we have to be extemely critical of our representatives so shady dealings like they pulled on Friday night can't happen.

2. girly_girl09 profile image77

Yes, it should go both ways. The fact is that people do hold bias. I do, too.

But, I have to admit that all of the Bush bashing over the last 8 years has caused me to limit my 'Obama Bashing'! I just might have done it publicly, too, if I hadn't of lived through 8 years of thinking 'how ridiculous' some of the stuff that Bush was criticized for. Therefore, I don't want to make the same type of irregardless, personal statements about Obama that folks did about Bush.

For example, I would never call Obama a moron just because I don't agree with all of his policies. (Plus, as I stated earlier, the word moron has a significant meaning and when used incorrectly is pretty offensive)

It definitely goes both ways. I respect President Obama for the same reason I respect President Bush. Both were elected by the people of the United States; our democracy was utilized and I hold the utmost respect for that. They do deserve some form of respect, regardless if you disagree completely with any or all of their policies. I didn't vote for Obama and barely support any of his ideas, to me, a lot don't make sense. But, I still respect President Obama.

Oh, one more thing:

I always thought that it was weird that people drove around with Kerry/Gore stickers after the election. It was over, move on, you know?

So, after this presidential election, I immediately took my sticker off. I was upset my guy didn't win, especially after getting 2-3 hours a night when working on the campaign, but I didn't see the purpose when others kept the sticker on for 8 years, so I figured why should I do it this cycle? big_smile

2. girly_girl09 profile image77

Very well said.

But, I still appreciate the original intent of this post which immediately caused me to think of the media bias. It's true that a lot of things that Obama has done would've been fair game for the media to attack Bush on. I don't think there is any denying that!

I agree and thats why we can't let the media lead us.  We have to critical of everything.  We have to quit being sheep.

2. profile image0
          Leta Sposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I'm sorry, but the media was never (the following in quotes for a reason) 'biased' enough against Bush.  Giving equal treatment does NOT mean viewing, posting or publishing 3 different versions of spin to, basically, cover your @ss editorially and protect your advertising/business interests.

I find that there isn't enough unveiling of the facts or good interpretations of events concerning the presidency of George W. Bush...that is why people can actually post stuff like this and (partially--as I realize it is also partisanship at work) actually believe it has any meaning.

The history concerning George Bush's background and acts as president is out there for any who really wish to know the truth.  Won't be found watching Fox news or reading rightist rags, though.

Oh brother...

...it never ends...

1. profile image0
              Leta Sposted 7 years ago in reply to this

You are right, your BS never ends.

Stop with the personal attacks, ma'am.

2. lrohner profile image85
      lrohnerposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Well said, Maven. My Dad was relatively high up on the federal government ladder. He taught me since I was a small kid not to believe everything in the news when it came to the government. There is much more that we will never know than is reported.

6. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 7 years ago

I'm sure you can come across a lot of questions about George Bush did as president. This is not a comparison...

For example:

"If George W. Bush had bowed to the King of Saudi Arabia, would you have approved? "
    can be
    "If Barack Obama held hands with the King of Saudi Arabia, would you approve?

7. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 7 years ago

I think this is childish.

The President is a person with a job to do, not a celebrity. I wasn't happy with most of what George Bush did. I am happy with some of what Barack Obama is accomplishing, not happy with other stuff he's trying to do. I don't expect anybody in public office to be anything except a human being with all that implies.

It's not a popularity contest. We're not in junior high school.

Grow up.

8. Misha profile image76
    Mishaposted 7 years ago

You seem to be angry Pam wink

9. Misha profile image76
    Mishaposted 7 years ago

LOL I won't call people on their stickers. Does not really irk me in any way, may be because I do not belong to either side. smile

LOL guys, maybe it's just me!!! I guess when you're encouraging others to put them on their car, you notice them more. lol

I never put bumper stickers on either in the past, but found a cute Women for McCain sticker (that was pink!) that I willingly stuck on.

I remember a lot of people were like "but I don't want the sticker to mess up my car!" They were encouraged that the bumper stickers were made with a new technology that makes them easy to remove. Which is true, those McCain stickers came off super easily. (Maybe the Kerry/Gore ones simply stuck on too much.) wink

10. livewithrichard profile image85
    livewithrichardposted 7 years ago

I hate bumper stickers.  I can't understand how someone could go spend 20 grand on a new car then slap a crappy sticker on it.

11. maven101 profile image79
    maven101posted 7 years ago

LivewithRichard said :
    " Not sure where you got your info but G.W. has been quite upfront about the fact that he was ranked 894 out of 899 in the Naval Academy.  He rode the shirt-tales of his grandfather,father and their friends."

I wasn't referring to his Academy standing. Only 20% of Academy applicants for pilot are accepted.... no shirttails allowed...strictly performance based...there are only so many slots, and the best are selected...

I agree with most of what you say....too much us and them, not enough we....critical thinking is another matter...groupthink has taken its place for many Americans...

12. tksensei profile image60
    tksenseiposted 7 years ago

13. Misha profile image76
    Mishaposted 7 years ago

LOL that was almost right smile

LOL! Total copy-n-paste! Sorry!

1. Misha profile image76

You just got adjective instead of adverb, that's it smile

I was at the mercy of an online translator.

14. Misha profile image76
    Mishaposted 7 years ago

Yep, I can see it if you used "right" - which is both smile

I put in "correct."

15. Misha profile image76
    Mishaposted 7 years ago

The same thing I would guess smile

16. SweetiePie profile image85
    SweetiePieposted 7 years ago

You will do okay with your student loans girly_girl.  The great thing is you can put your loans on deferment for a few months at a time if you are ever have financial difficulties, such as looking for a job, etc.

17. ledefensetech profile image79
    ledefensetechposted 7 years ago

It's still a heck of a thing to be behind the 8 ball that much just starting out.  I hope you go into corporate law girly, you might break even by your fifth year or so.

working