jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)

"Suspected Cyber Attack Hits S Korea"

1. fishskinfreak2008 profile image34
    fishskinfreak2008posted 7 years ago

North Korea was behind this...without a doubt

2. tksensei profile image60
    tksenseiposted 7 years ago

Were they also behind the cyberattack on the US over the weekend?

1. BristolBoy profile image82
      BristolBoyposted 7 years ago in reply to this

That is what many newspapers etc are speculating.  Who needs nuclear weapons when you can cause major damage to a countries economy with viruses/hacking.

1. 0
        Hack Retisposted 7 years ago in reply to this

It takes years to make nuclear weapons.
        It takes seconds to secure stupid.

One causes explosions, the other one is caused by dumb. Sometimes more like persistence, but mostly by dumb.

And for lawnmower lettuce

I'd pay money to see it Eaglewiki!

2. tksensei profile image60
        tksenseiposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Well, nukes are still pretty effective...

1. BristolBoy profile image82
          BristolBoyposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Well yes but the point I was trying to make was what effect would a nuclear weapon have on America?  If all computers were knocked out for even a day the financial losses would run into the billions, if not trillions.  In addition there would be major loss of life (just think how many people are in hospital in America at any one time and that doesn't include other factors such as increased traffic accidents due to lack of traffic lights etc etc etc).  Plus it would take a lot longer to sort out. 

In addition, actions like have happened in South Korea/America aren't considered acts of war in the same way a nuclear weapon going off even in the middle of Alaska is.  I also believe these problems in South Korea/America have been caused by hijacked computers which number in the tens of thousands.  Considering the fact that some viruses infect millions/tens of millions of machines, imagine what that could do.

I think it is well known that there have been political attacks of this nature before such as by Russia or Russian sympathisers against some of the Baltic States/Ukraine/Georgia.  In addition, it will be reasonable to expect that the US/South Korea/every other developed country has such attack capabilities.  In the UK it was recently mentioned that the UK admitted to having such an ability, purely as a deterent.  Also ever wonder why hackers etc often get such small punishments?  In the case of the UK it is believed that many former hackers, virus creators etc now work for the government figuring out ways to attack other countries. 

As for the North Korea potential to attack, from their point of view such cyber attacks are really good.  They can attack South Korea/America/anyone else they want.  In addition, the US etc can decide to start their own cyber attacks, but as I am sure you are aware North Korea is far from the most developed nation on the planet and so such attacks will have an extremely limited effect.  Furthermore North Korea cannot be punished much further using sanctions and finally they know no countries are goign to take military action against them because of the damage a war could potentially cause to South Korea/Japan/everywhere else over there. 

However, if they were to use a nuclear weapon/chemical weapon/conventional weapon on any scale against South Korea/Japan/America/any other country the UN would need to act militarily, regardless of any potential additional impacts upon Japan, South Korea etc. 

In summing up, such cyber attacks by North Korea against their opponents/enemies is a good way of harming America etc with little chance of much harm coming to North Korea.

That has become quite an essay - I could have made it into to hub!

3. 0
    Hack Retisposted 7 years ago

I generally blame World of Warcraft. It's teh 3v1l.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image73
      Eaglekiwiposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Yep an reality shows makin me think I can shred a lettuce off a lawnmower on top of my head!

I been doin it all wrong all these years sad

4. BristolBoy profile image82
    BristolBoyposted 7 years ago

It appears now that the attack originated in the UK, not North Korea, although there is always the chance that the UK was chosen to mask the real identity.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/20 … acking-usa