jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (15 posts)

Does a Co-Op sound better than a Public Option?

1. rsmallory profile image79
    rsmalloryposted 8 years ago

Either way, it will eventually lead to a one payer system. The Dems think changing what it's called will make us believe it is something different. Sneaky Dems!

“I think in theory you can imagine a co-operative meeting that definition [of a ‘public option’].” - President Obama, July 29, Time Magazine
    “We’re going to have some type of public option, call it ‘co-op,’ call it what you want.” - Senate Majority Leader Reid, July 10, Washington Post
    “You could theoretically design a co-op plan that had the same attributes as a public plan.” - Health and Human Services Secretary Sebelius, June 27, Bloomberg
    “Chairman Baucus has asked me to sit down with [Sen.] Kent Conrad to see if we can use the co-op model to achieve the same goals as a public plan.” - Sen. Chuck Schumer, June 15, Roll Call
    “It will have, coming out of the House, a public option. The only debate on that is what it will be called.” - Speaker Nancy Pelosi, July 13, Reuters
    “The [co-op has] to be written in a way that accomplishes the objectives of a public option.” - Sen. Max Baucus, June 12, Politico

1. profile image0
      dennisemattposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Ok, so, this might be a stuuuuupid question. But I bet you guys know...people keep saying how the superduperfreeinsurance is optional. If you "opt out" will you still have to pay in to it thru taxes? Like, right now, a portion of hubby's state and federal taxes go to medicare and such. Foodstamps...er...supplimental nutritional assistanxce program...and all. Is plan this similar only bigger?

rsmalloryposted 8 years ago in reply to this

I honestly don't know-that's part of the problem. Obama says it won't affect our deficit-so I have to assume most of it will be paid for in taxes. If you opt out and decide to keep your employer's plan then the employer has to pay a tax and a penalty. I don't know about your employer, but I work for a small company who can not afford to pay the additional tax and penalty, so my insurance plan will be cancelled and I will be forced to enroll in the government plan-where is the choice in that?

1. profile image0

AAAAAA I don't HAVE an employer's plan. We cant afford anything cuz taxes are so high! If it goes up? what are we supposed to do?If my husbands employer has to pay for this, he will go out of business, my husband wont have a job...seriouslly? this stinks.

1. nicomp profile image59
            nicompposted 8 years ago in reply to this

It does stink and it will stink more if the government takes over 17% of the economy. We will all pay too much in taxes now... what happens when we have to support the entire health care industry and *everyone* gets everything free?

Lines for the doctor will be out the door. If you can't get into a doctor now, imagine if everyone is suddenly relieved of the burden of paying for anything? When a bureaucrat in Washington determines how much a doctor's time should cost in Cincinnati, who will want to waste their time in medical school?

If something is free, do people use it more or less? How many unnecessary tests will doctors prescribe when everything is free?

How long will the neighborhood MRI clinics stay in business when they can't charge market rates for their services? When a bureaucrat in Washington determines how much an MRI is worth in Buffalo, stay tuned for a Subway Sandwich Shop in that location.

1. profile image0

there is a place with MRI clinics?
              I guess this answers my question. i dont mean to be ignorant, but I dont have TV. I guess this stuff is most likely on the radio, but I dont listen too much, I assume that it is rather biased. Also, I know, I should google it, but...well...I didnt. Just cuz the internet said it, doesnt make it true. And it takes me a loooooong time to google anything.  I read the ballot carefully before voting. Is that lame?

2. Kadmiels profile image71
      Kadmielsposted 8 years ago in reply to this

not fooling anyone.. well maybe most americans not me sad

2. tksensei profile image60
    tksenseiposted 8 years ago

Hey look, someone left us this great big wooden horse! Cool! Bring it inside the walls!

rsmalloryposted 8 years ago in reply to this

LOL! Exactly!

3. nicomp profile image59
    nicompposted 8 years ago

There's a public option now. It's called Medicaid. Give away all your stuff, quit your job, fill out a few forms and you get free health care.

Of course, no one in their right mind will do that. They have too much pride and they want to get ahead in life. Wait a minute...

1. profile image0

MEDICAID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
      have you ever applied? this is why I am asking. I pay for it, I dont have it.....

2. profile image0

wait. UGH!!!!!!!!!!! all you have to do is keep everything, take drugs, cry alot, dont work because if you do you'll loose your "benefits"...the rest of us will pay for your insurance..and food, and house, and kid's school lunch....

4. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 8 years ago

I wonder if it'll be the same in the US as in Canada where companies below a certain size do not have to provide health insurance.

5. rsmallory profile image79

see my hub about HR3200 The Healthcare Reform Bill:

http://hubpages.com/hub/For-or-Against- … ll-HR-3200

Write your state reps and congressmen. Vote in any polls you see out there-let your voice be heard!

This plan will do the exact opposite of everything it is promising.

More people will lose coverage or be without adequate care because of rationing.

If you think healthcare is expensive now, wait until it's 'free'!

6. rsmallory profile image79

dennisematt- I definetly think you should read the ballot carefully before voting. We have a responsibility to educate ourselves and obtain the details and facts that will and should influence our decision.

I don't believe your ignorant either. Just uninformed. I am glad you are at least making an effort to find out what is really going on.

working