jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Help We Have Let The Elderly And Disabled Down

1. 0
    mdawson17posted 7 years ago

I am an advocate and today I was working on a very disturbing case. In this case an assisted living center (that houses 30 disabled and elderly clients 30% of them were reffered and paid by the state of Texas protective services)was accused of starving, abusing, and exploytation of these clients. When I called the state services I informed them of the validated abuse. I further asked them if they knew that the very liscenced home that they contracted with was abusing the very clients they were reffering to the provider. I was told yes they knew the provider was in neglect however their dilima was either place them in that home or put the clien on the street!

I had a problem with this because the very agency that was established to protect this population was and is openly subjecting their clients to this enviroment of abuse!

My question is how do we put a stop to politicians alowing our state offices the authority to subject this population to abuse?

1. ledefensetech profile image81
      ledefensetechposted 7 years ago in reply to this

You cannot.  The state can only gain funds by taking it from taxpayers.  Thus there will always be a shortage of funds.  Unless the state takes total control, yet any time we've seen that happen, the consequences have been catastrophic.  State agencies by their very nature fail to accomplish the ends they have been set up to address.  You've seen that in the elderly population in Texas, I've seen it with kids suffering from mental illness in Missouri.

1. 0
        mdawson17posted 7 years ago in reply to this

I can pnly commend a fellow humanitarian for thier acts and ecpressions of kindness! And can trully hope that through those of us who give unconditionally will soon see a change not from the goverment however through the private sector!

2. lrohner profile image85
    lrohnerposted 7 years ago

Good question. Let me know when you find an answer. When my Mom hit her 80's and her Alzheimer's was well on its way, I took her into my home. She thrived there for many years. My sister then took her and placed her into a nursing home near where she lived. My Mom died within a year. And that was a nursing home with a very good reputation.

3. Misha profile image76
    Mishaposted 7 years ago

The only real solution to this is extended family. Government won't help you.

1. 0
      mdawson17posted 7 years ago in reply to this

You are very right Misha There is no soultions is with in the Goverment!

4. auntiebree profile image60
    auntiebreeposted 7 years ago

I got one for you.  I am a disabled LPN.  I was making twenty dollars an hour when I became disabled.  So I get medicare, my prescrition coverage wants me to spend 4,500 before they pay for meds.  Its called the donut hole.  I apply for medicaid.  I get it, medicad pays a percentage of my medicare insurance, cool right?
         Now medicaid is taking me off because once they paid their percent, that puts my benefits over the limit.
         Is this F#@^$#& or what?