Wonderful - pay a fine for not having insurance

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (33 posts)
  1. nicomp profile image61
    nicompposted 14 years ago

Personal freedom continues to ebb away...
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090908/ap_ … e_overhaul

"WASHINGTON – Americans would be fined up to $3,800 for failing to buy health insurance under a plan that circulated in Congress on Tuesday as divisions among Democrats undercut President Barack Obama's effort to regain traction on his health care overhaul..."

1. tksensei profile image60
      tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Welcome to Massachusetts

2. teeny120 profile image60
      teeny120posted 14 years agoin reply to this

That is very sad - there was news report on about some doctors/facilities where they are doing flat rate pay with unlimited visits, etc. People found this promising. I hope it grows as it is only in a few states. I believe it was dateline where I heard this.

2. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Don't you already have the same kind of penalty for say car insurance? Don't see any difference really. This is not to say this is right, this is to say i am surprised you tolerated this so long, and keep tolerating it...

1. lrohner profile image68
      lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Misha, my darling, you are only somewhat correct. We are mandated to have car insurance that will cover the other driver if WE cause an accident. We don't have to have insurance that covers us or our car. I actually understand and agree with that law.

1. Misha profile image64
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I do know this Lisa, I've been paying it about 10 years already. And no, I disagree with this law, and I think that I am forced to subsidize bad drivers. not much I can do though, so I pay - yet always make sure i pay as low as I can. smile

Misha, without this law, I think of my soon-to-be 20 year old and very immature son. If there were no laws about this, he would drive around at the speed of sound without insurance, and God help those that are in his way. They could be forced to ruin their lives over medical bills that were no fault of theirs. I hate to say this, but cut into people's funds and you're hitting them where it hurts. This is one law I (hate but) agree with.

1. ledefensetech profile image68
            ledefensetechposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Without mandatory insurance, you would have riders on policies for your son to protect himself and his son if they were hit by some reckless driver.  The insurance company would then be free to go after the creep who drives like a bat out of hell and take him for just about everything he has.  Rough justice of a sort, but effective, I would think.

I'm not worried about my son being hit, I'm worried about him hitting someone else! And knowing what I know about teens, I'm pretty darn glad this law is in place.

I still think the threat of losing your insurance is a deterrent for most.  After all you can make choices, but you can't choose the consequences.  So make sure all of your decisions are good ones.  I hear you though.  Kids do think they're indestructible and only a close brush with death seems to convince them otherwise.

2. Misha profile image64

You can always buy such an insurance for yourself, when and if you need it. No need to force me to buy it, too smile

2. nicomp profile image61
      nicompposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I was hoping this would come up. Car insurance is required for liability coverage only. Your comparison is incorrect.

1. Misha profile image64

It is not an exact parallel, but it is correct. My point is that you allow your government to dictate you how you spend your own money, which applies to both cases. smile

Wrong again. Having a car is voluntary. Millions of people don't have cars. Being required to have car insurance is therefore not required of every citizen.

And there is no public option. Somehow, the car insurance industry survives just fine. How about that?

A simple way to reform health care is to change what insurance covers. Have a sniffle? Pay for an office visit instead of expecting Humana to foot the bill. Imagine what car insurance would cost if it was expected to cover you every time the check engine light came on.

3. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

I wouldn't lose sleep over it. That's a bill that's not going anywhere...and fast.

4. Ron Montgomery profile image61
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

Paranoia never sleeps

To paraphrase you; I am paranoid about sleeping.

5. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

Thats just sick!

6. Newyork204 profile image59
    Newyork204posted 14 years ago

Don't worry.  That's not going to pass.  Its all talk.  Who would enforce it???  Would they make a special task force to police everyone's insurance card???

1. Michael Willis profile image67
      Michael Willisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There has been talk about this for months actually. If passed it would set up as the Tax/IRS system is I read in one report.

But...I hope you are right and this will not pass.

2. nicomp profile image61

No problem there. It can be policed on your income tax return.

7. Michael Willis profile image67
    Michael Willisposted 14 years ago

Another way for more BIG Government to take money from the people...and we would have NO choice. Lets take from the poor to protect the rich health care industry.  Makes perfect sense!!!

8. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

In Massachusetts, our tax returns won't go through unless we also include a signed statement that we have insurance, and state what that health insurance is.  It's a "special thing" that comes with Federal tax returns just for those of us in Massachusetts.  lol

There's also fines for those "deemed to be able to afford health insurance" who don't sign up for any. 

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.vi … geId=58146

It's all part of Massachusetts being on the cutting edge of freedom.

1. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

...................What!?

It's a Massachusetts thing, you wouldn't understand unless you lived there.  My dad was stationed for three years in the People's Republic of Massachusetts.

1. profile image0
          sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You a military Brat?

9. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

I think you are mixing up whom this law is designed to "help". There is no coincidence that YOU are paying for this insurance, not the people you or your son might hit.

And I know what I am talking about, I came from the country that did not have such an insurance, they introduced it just a few years ago. In the absence of such an insurance your main problem is not in being hit but somebody, but in hitting Mr Rothschild's or Mrs Clinton's car. big_smile

10. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

I think you keep missing my point altogether, but that's OK. sorry I interrupted your thread, will try to stay away. smile

I got your point and I explained why you were off base. No worries.

11. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 14 years ago

Doesn't sound like Obama is on board with this at all and car insurance is not required if you do not have a vehicle.  Liability insurance is mandatory on all vehicles (full if it has a lean) however people who can prove that they make enough money to cover the cost of any accident are not required to have any insurance. 

I think the article was crap because like ncomp said, auto insurance is not mandatory like the article says it is.

Besides it wouldn't pass.  People who can't afford insurance to begin with wont pay the fines either and their tax returns aren't likely to cover the cost of the fines either.  They would be digging us into more debt if they did that... so I think.

It wouldn't be the first time the government made our debt load heavier, would it?

1. profile image0
        sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No but there is always that inkling of "hope" that they might just use their friggin' brains for once. big_smile

I don't think it's possible for politicians to use their brains.  Doug French has a very interesting hypothesis as to why that is:  http://mises.org/story/3686

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)