jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)

Should we force people to succeed? Or let people do it themselves?

1. WaffleCheese profile image80
    WaffleCheeseposted 7 years ago

Should we force people to succeed? (Liberal view) Or let people succeed themselves? (Conservative view)

Also, is failure a good thing? Should we force people not to fail? Does failure lead to later, more pronounced, success?

2. profile image0
    rednckwmnposted 7 years ago

please force me to succeed!

3. Misha profile image76
    Mishaposted 7 years ago

He-he, why don't we just leave them alone? Live and let live, how bout that? smile

1. profile image0
      rednckwmnposted 7 years ago in reply to this

that would be nice but the forums would be so boring!!!

4. Misha profile image76
    Mishaposted 7 years ago

I can always tease you smile

1. profile image0
      rednckwmnposted 7 years ago in reply to this

ha ha!!! what a relief

5. kerryg profile image86
    kerrygposted 7 years ago

Nobody is forcing anyone to succeed. The idea is to prevent anyone from failing so badly that it hurts our society:

* people who don't have medical insurance drive up costs for the rest of us
    * people who can't afford healthy food (or any food!) have more health problems, which will drive up health care costs even more for the rest of us if they're uninsured and result in lost productivity at work for employers
    * people with poor educations require remedial courses in college and extra training on the job, driving up education expenses for the rest of us and costing businesses money that they can't use to hire more people
    * people with inadequate housing are more likely to have health problems and/or end up on the streets, where they can be victimized by crime, driving up law enforcement costs for the rest of us

Do I need to go on? An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure at the society level as well as the individual one. Certainly, some people are beyond help, but I really don't understand people who are so opposed to paying taxes that they would rather see the US become a third world country. One of the ways third world countries are defined is by their lack of social safety net.

6. Lady_E profile image80
    Lady_Eposted 7 years ago

People shouldn't be forced to succeed but they should be shown the Potential to Succeed.

A lot of people have talents (sometimes hidden) that they don't know how to use, but if they have the knowledge its then their call, whether to run with it and make a success of their life or just take a back seat.

1. WaffleCheese profile image80
      WaffleCheeseposted 7 years ago in reply to this

If you can't afford health insurance, get a better job.
      If you can't afford food, work harder,
      If you can't get a good job, get an education,
      If you can't afford education, get a scholarship,
      If you can't get a scholarship, study harder.

All problems of "I can't afford it", or "I can't do it" Are not solved by the government handing it to you. It is a result of quenching an insatiable desire to get ahead and put forth the required work.

1. kerryg profile image86
        kerrygposted 7 years ago in reply to this

What if you're uninsured and you're too sick to work?
        What if you can't afford food because you're working two jobs to pay off your medical bills?
        What if you can't afford college classes, and your grades weren't good enough in high school to get a scholarship, and you're already working two jobs to pay off your medical bills, plus you have kids who have to be taken care of, maybe an elderly parent whose health is deteriorating....

Look, I'm not saying problems like these (which are not at all unusual) can't be overcome, ever. Some of the kids growing up in cardboard boxes in third world slums are going to grow up to do great things, and they have more and stronger forces working against them than even the most impoverished American.

But what benefit does our society gain from making it harder to overcome these sorts of problems?

working