jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (10 posts)

How long is the politics of this country going to keep us divided?

1. rhamson profile image75
    rhamsonposted 7 years ago

The only thing that is constant in recent politics is the misinformation and compromised information we receive from the politicians and the media.

The idea of separate and conquer is so relevent today and we the people are too dumb to recognize it.  What if there was an election where we voted strictly issues and common sense rather than rhetoric and bravado?

What could be the first step?  I think that if there is one thing the internet is good for that is the ability to express yourself and in some cases rather than take offense we could try to find the common ground and the important gist of the issues.

2. 0
    Scott.Lifeposted 7 years ago

I think until many more people discover the art of thinking for themselves and developing original ideas then we will remain divided over many issues not just in politics. Politicians to a large but not total extent are gifted manipulators and understand better then most just how ignorant the average American really is about what is being decided and debated by his or her own government. Until more of us start asking deep questions about what is actually going on and get away from who is saying what and what party is in charge, then we will all be slaves to a system that preys on the common citizen.

1. rhamson profile image75
      rhamsonposted 7 years ago in reply to this

What kind of catalyst is going to get the ball rolling so to say.  With the country in spiraling spending, wars brewing all over the place and life changing poverty issues what more does it take to get people reading and thinking for themselves.

The homogenized news we watch from the networks ignoring the real stories and prsenting a pretty digestible opinion is what I believe is at the root of our troubles.

The other is the corrupt political system we have and how powerless they have made us to change it.

How deep must we sink before the American people wake up.

3. egiv profile image74
    egivposted 7 years ago

1. Eric Graudins profile image61
      Eric Graudinsposted 7 years ago in reply to this

4. 60
    khoustelloposted 7 years ago

I havent a clue since i do not live in the U.S.A., however we here across the "pond" also have our revolting politicians.However to their immense relief they have been superceded by an even more pernicious band of gangsters whom decent people hate yep you guessed-Bankers!

5. 0
    Scott.Lifeposted 7 years ago

To put it simply the only time most people will ever change is when it's advantageous to them or they want to.Unfortunately in my experience in the Marines I have found that in most situations change came about on the other side of some great national calamity. In most nations I have been sent to revolution came when those being oppressed had only one choice revolt or die.
    Now I use that example with our nation because that's just whats needed, a revolution of thought and awareness. Truth be told though by the time most Americans realize something needs to be done it will be too late. That seems to be our preferred method. We rarely heed warnings only taking notice when someone bombs our Navy our crashes airliners into Sky scrapers. Even then its not so much change as it is a rush to assign blame.

When this economy actually collapses and people are dieing in the streets from starvation and rioting for food and supplies, then people will realize something went wrong. This years economic slow down was just a wake up call. What shocks me are all the White House insiders being quoted as saying that this bailout was only a temporary measure but ultimately useless.Many believe that GM will totally fail in the next five years as the real issue of its failure has yet to be addressed.Likewise with the Banking industry. Neither of these financial giants are operating in profitable sustainable manners. I pity Obama I really do. He has inherited the result of 15 years of overspending and greed. This was not the work of any president or congress but the fault of Americans who continue to turn a blind eye to the circus up in DC.It's a runaway train without brakes and it won't stop until it runs into an immovable object.

6. Colebabie profile image60
    Colebabieposted 7 years ago

When people start caring about others. good luck...

7. Jonathan Janco profile image81
    Jonathan Jancoposted 7 years ago

The politics of this country will keep us divided:
    - As long as we have the current two-party system
    - As long as we have lobbyists
    - As long as we have the Federal Reserve and nuclear weapons (both are equally dangerous in my opinion)
    - As long as the European-inspired corporate system dominates our economy
    - As long as insults and meaningless rhetoric overshadows intellectual debate
    and last but not least,
    - As long as people are trained to believe that money solves everything.

1. Real Estate Lady profile image60
      Real Estate Ladyposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Excellent points! May I add one?

-As long as Americans think the government should take care of them.