The Portrayal of Women

1. Stacie Naczelnik profile image88
    Stacie Naczelnikposted 8 years ago

Has anyone else followed the story about the pregnant U.S. Marine who went missing in December?  They found her body.  The entire story is really sad.

What really bothers me is that late last week, the news did a big story on how she is still missing.  The woman accused another Marine of raping her, and it was suspected her pregnancy was a result of the rape.  But, there was a lot of speculation that she was mentally unstable, made up stories, and could be responsible for her own disappearance.

Whether or not any of those three things might have been true, the woman disappeared under unusual circumstances.  For the media to slant her as "unstable" instead of a possible, likely victim of violence really disgusted me.

Okay, that was a mini rant.  I'm just sick of how women are often portrayed in the media.

2. jormins profile image60
    jorminsposted 8 years ago

I think I saw something on CNN how they doubted her rape claims because her relatives told the police she was a compulsive liar.  I'll bet there's much more to this story than what they are releasing but it is a terrible story.  The police should have kept better tabs on the primary suspect, he's probably in Mexico or somewhere already.  If he murdered her awhile ago he probably had an escape plan already in place if someone were to find the body.