jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

If there is any hope it is in the...err...

1. willsteele61 profile image61
    willsteele61posted 7 years ago

Long gone are the days of the hansard transcript, long gone are the days of afternoon tea discussing foreign policy, and believe me I am in no way trying to glorify britains track record of fun in foreign lands but at least we bothered to acknowledge what we were doing.

I wonder does it amaze people when you try to have a discussion about the current situation in the middle east and you are laughed in your face for having, what is percieved to be, 'outlandish' ideas? That the names John Pilger, Noam Chomski, and Naomi Klein are not even at large to a public beset by racism and prejudice? Well some days it amazes me.

Does anyone know when we suddenly gave up? Was it after the anti Iraq war march? a peaceful protest of such magnitiude that its failure only highlighted our powerlessness? Was it after the rest of us were frightened with bombers and biological weapons to back a decision later found to be based on nothing more than spurious accusations? Or was it when we knew that we are practically raping the middle east for the riches therin and did not lift a finger to prevent it. I do wonder.

Orwell believed that the last hope was in what he effectionately termed 'the proles' which I suppose are now dubbed 'chavs' doesnt quite have the same ring to it but still. I hope that this is not so since my local bunch's favourite hobby is to sit on a wall all day smoking vast quantities of canabis while judiciously mulling over vintage pictures of Katie Price's exposed top half. I am certain that they don't know who Naomi Klein is however, but nor do they care.

If the Poll tax proved anything apart from Thatchers possibly bloodthirsty economical model I think it proved that the government here in Britain regretably don't realise or care that we are upset about anything until we begin to throw cobble stones through windows.

That however was then. I believe that these days may prove that knowning who Naomi Klein is doesn't matter, because the people who read books on political theory are the least likely to throw cobbles. Might may not be right, but it sure is Might and as each new horror and shame of our western conduct in far flung lands come to light I wonder why we still fail to act. As if each new thing was just another to add to the pile we apathetically leave in our wake.

I know why we dont care as much as we should. Because we are warm, we are fed, we are mostly happy and fulfilled gorged on our modest consumerism but I do worry.

Just because it isn't us in firing line now, doesnt mean that in never will be, one day it may be us in the crosshairs if we finally get ourselvs out of our boxes, and I worry that on that day, it may all be too late.

1. EmpressFelicity profile image84
      EmpressFelicityposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Hello, fellow English person here.  I think you're right about the Iraq war being the point after which many people gave up.  And when you see Tony Blair making loadsamoney after standing down as prime minister (and possibly becoming EU president one day), it does make you wonder whether there's any natural justice in the world.

I wouldn't write off the "chavs" completely though.  Although if you uttered the name "Noam Chomsky" to everyone you met walking down my local high street, most of them would probably say "Bless you!"...

2. Misha profile image75
    Mishaposted 7 years ago

make a hub out of it smile

3. ledefensetech profile image81
    ledefensetechposted 7 years ago

Why worry?  It's only when we meddle in the Great Game that we really have anything to fear.  Stop meddling and you won't find yourself in the cross-hairs of contemporary fanatics.

4. willsteele61 profile image61
    willsteele61posted 7 years ago

I dont worry about the fantics, I'm from the northeast of England and our major worry is always the bosses. smile At least fanatics are usually just a few people in a shed, I'm more of a hemmingway person

'Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified is not a crime'

because when the big boys land they land with big big toys.

1. ledefensetech profile image81
      ledefensetechposted 7 years ago in reply to this

On that we can agree, although I think Wellington said it best:  "Only a battle lost is sadder than a battle won".