jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

What will victory in the Middle East look like?

1. rhamson profile image76
    rhamsonposted 7 years ago

With ths slow withdrawel of troops slated for Iraq and the escalation of troops being called for in Afganistan how will the US define a victory in the Middle East?

1. livelonger profile image90
      livelongerposted 7 years ago in reply to this

If you define victory as stable, Western-friendly governments, forget it. Wait a few generations (at least).

My definition would be a withdrawal from the region--not likely to happen in my lifetime but hope springs eternal.

rhamsonposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I agree with you that withdrawal from the region would end it in part but how does the government justify the cost (life and monetary) after we have left?  Most people would consider it a defeat.

2. dutchman1951 profile image61
      dutchman1951posted 7 years ago in reply to this

there will be no outright victor; just loss, some regret that goes away, and both sides lying saying they were just.

Just like Viet-Nam, Korea, Desert Storm- all of it in vein.

Small men- Majors, Kernels, and one-star Generals, all retiring as  Major Generals from their holy little wars. While the poorer folks burying their enlisted dead.

and the Rest (walking wounded) are dumped on the VA hospital system,that can not take care of them. All honerd with a few token parades, now and then.

Then as time goes by the War stories in the bars will get bigger, as well as the waist lines.

Typical America; farting, belching and lying, while we dump down 4400 calorie meals, and boast of Gods country. Then vote in the same Old thives  back in, over and over again. Nothing learned, nothing kept but memories that blur. No victors, just spoils.

Its a dam shame.

3. darkside profile image84
      darksideposted 7 years ago in reply to this

It will probably look like mushroom clouds.

2. livelonger profile image90
    livelongerposted 7 years ago

Very good point. For those who think withdrawal would be defeat, the onus should be on them to determine what the costs are to stay and win victory (they should define that too) and why those costs are worth it rather than spending equal amounts on domestic programs like infrastructural investments.

3. 0
    sneakorocksolidposted 7 years ago

I don't think 'victory' is really an appropiate objective. Stopping or forcing countries from supporting or harboring terrorist organizations is the best we can hope for. This area of the world suffers from a serious case of 'we haven't made it out of the middle ages' mentality. That, I believe, leads to an inability to be able to reason logically.

rhamsonposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Don't you think that our very presence in the Middle East stirs the whole pot of hatred and animosity?  What part did we play in creating this conflict? I think we had better rethink our objectives.  Is this merely a war to secure the oil and support big oil? Is it a moral obligation to secure the region for Israel to exist? Or is it right for us to continue under such transparent objectives?

4. Will Apse profile image91
    Will Apseposted 7 years ago

Texaco and BP own ALL the oil.

5. rhamson profile image76
    rhamsonposted 7 years ago

There is hope as long as we live and speak. How can we turn this around.  The feelings of apathy are a dangerous place to live and as long as you have feelings about something you have hope.