jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Will Brazil be a new counterweight to the US

1. limengnemo profile image61
    limengnemoposted 7 years ago

I just read an article on the Times.It talked about the relationship between the US and Brazil.The two powerhouses based in the north and south of the New New world.It's really interesting. As we know,Brazil has achieved great economic progress these years.And it's  now seeking a permanent seat on the UN Security Council.I'm really wondering if Brazil could be a new counterweight to the US. What's your opinion?

1. dutchman1951 profile image61
      dutchman1951posted 7 years ago in reply to this

A counterweight? Depends on how they are treated, at the UN, and Summits, by the US and other veto seats. It is up to them how they percieve their treatment of that?

AND.....It is also a chance for The U.S. to be a fair and good friend, if we are wise. They could be a strong ali or a counterweight. Its hard to say, to early.

I just hope the U.S. is smart enough and paying attention to honest reports and real usable information, not suspect Goverment paper, to reconise it as an opertunity, or a play to strengthen Chaves's stance.

And, Brazil also has to show they want Friendship with the U.S. too. It will be interesting to watch.

2. tksensei profile image60
    tksenseiposted 7 years ago

Counterweight? Not for a loooong time. Brazil could become an engine of negative development if they continue to drift leftward and get too wrapped up with the likes of Chavez.

3. 0
    sneakorocksolidposted 7 years ago

Brazil? I hadn't thought of that! They're a natural for relocating the UN! We could give them our seat on the security council! Then we could just worry about America because we are a corrupt, evil country that should mind our own buisness!

4. egiv profile image74
    egivposted 7 years ago

I'm not so sure about being a counterweight for a long time, but it is true that the United States will have to deal with China, India and Brazil in the coming years. Hopefully we can accommodate their rise and use it for our own good instead of being hostile and feeling threatened.

5. Flightkeeper profile image79
    Flightkeeperposted 7 years ago

I agree sneak. In fact I think Brazil and India should fight over our seat in the security council.cool