jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (20 posts)

37 % of filers pay no federal income tax at all

1. nicomp profile image59
    nicompposted 7 years ago

Everyone should pay something, dontcha think?

http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/numbers/ … ocTypeID=7

2. Aya Katz profile image89
    Aya Katzposted 7 years ago

Nicomp, if you had said "Everyone should pay nothing" I'd be more inclined to agree!

3. jiberish profile image79
    jiberishposted 7 years ago

I'd love to be included in the 37%.

1. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 7 years ago in reply to this

You are a genious!

4. Uninvited Writer profile image81
    Uninvited Writerposted 7 years ago

Yes, I'm sure we would all like to earn so little that we would not have to pay income tax.

5. Aya Katz profile image89

If you can live on less and lead a good life, why not? We have only one life to live. Why spend it generating taxes?

6. Uninvited Writer profile image81
    Uninvited Writerposted 7 years ago

Could you live on less than $10,000 a year? I couldn't. I pay that much in rent.

7. Flightkeeper profile image78
    Flightkeeperposted 7 years ago

As somebody one said, you can't squeeze blood from a stone.

You can't make someone pay something when they don't have it, otherwise you're going to put a lot of people in jail that don't belong there.

8. Aya Katz profile image89

I could and some years, I do. I own my house. There is no mortgage. I live in the country. So far, I can afford the property tax.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image81
      Uninvited Writerposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Unfortunately, not everyone can afford to buy a house and have to rent. I don't drive and don't have a car so I can't live in the country. I have to live where my job is. I would love to be able to live on so little. But, most can't.

1. Aya Katz profile image89
        Aya Katzposted 7 years ago in reply to this

While I do own a car, I have Amish neighbors in the vicinity who don't. They drive a horse and buggy. You might be surprised. It's possible that you could afford a house in the country, depending on how modest a house you were willing to go for. The prices in the city are astronomically high.

Of course, you may not like the idea of living in the country. It's not for everyone. It does have a downside. It's a matter of personal choice. But whether or not you can live on ten thousand dollars a year depends on the choices you make.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image81
          Uninvited Writerposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I would like to live in the country, and if I could find a job there or be able to work from home I would do it in a heartbeat smile I can live anywhere as long as I have Internet access big_smile

9. starme77 profile image86
    starme77posted 7 years ago

actually - the way it goes is like this - if your poor - and have kids and work a job - you don't really pay federal taxes - If you have a State tax then you will still pay it - Rich people are having their tax breaks increase while the middle class picks up the tab for all

Wouldn't it be great to do away with income tax for everyone and stop asking people how much they make? This way, there won't be so much incentive to earn less.

1. starme77 profile image86
        starme77posted 7 years ago in reply to this

well, not really since I am a licensed tax preparer and I make a living doing peoples taxes during the season - no taxes - no job fer lil ol me sad but actually your right poor uneducated people do use this as an incentive to earn less - now mind you I'm poor but I'm also educated and poor - there is a huge difference there

What is the huge difference between the educated poor and those who are not educated?

1. profile image0

Reading.

2. profile image0

2. profile image0

It's allways been the middle class and it allways will be. The key is to maintain and grow the middle class. Greed forces normally good paying jobs to other countries this practice must stop or our finances and our economy could follow. High tariffs are a good solution, similar to the ones we pay in Europe and the far east. We can't afford to protect their economies at the expense of ours.

10. Aya Katz profile image89

Uninvited Writer, then it's something worth looking into! You could research housing prices in different locations, and look for available jobs in the area online. You never know what you might find!

working