jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)

With Disney buying Marvel,was that a bad thing for marvel?

1. bill yon profile image41
    bill yonposted 7 years ago

walt disney bought marvel.will that be bad for us marvel-heads?are we looking at spider-mickey-mouse?will marvel be G-rated,and ultimately destroyed by disney?what do you think?

1. MisSavVy profile image61
      MisSavVyposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Yes it was. Disney is SOOOO cheesy and giving them something like Marvel? Very very risky, and disappointing.

2. Cagsil profile image83
    Cagsilposted 7 years ago

It was bad for business, but good for those who owned Marvel.

How much of an effect Disney has on Marvel's brand names is to be seen.

How disappointed you might be? I guess is going to remain with each individual person, as Disney goes forward.

My opinion is that it was bad for business. I liked Marvel's individual brand names and now each is jeopardy of being mutiliated beyond measure.

Marvel had an exclusive customer base for over 50 years. A base worth trillions of dollars, if marketed properly. To give up the potential, plus the growing new generations coming into their own...it was extremely bad for business' overall health.

3. dyonder profile image79
    dyonderposted 7 years ago

The news kind of suprised me after what I saw as a successful change of venue, marvel.com: low price, a huge catalog of titles available to view anywhere. Factor into that the portable apps that are being released over the next six months and it does seem marvel was doing fine. As far as how it will affect the quality of the product, only time will tell. Marvel's had wonderful leaders at the helm (and the talent to propagate their subject matter) at times, but they've also had their days in the toilet. Hopefully, but seriously doubtful, Disney, or whichever of their branches handle this aspect of business, will rise to the task.

4. Ady4life profile image60
    Ady4lifeposted 6 years ago

Seriously, WHY !? WHY DID THIS HAVE TO HAPPEN !?, Disney ruin all their own cartoons/shows, why go and ruin somthing that was great, they will probably mess it up, like shows named: "Hanaah Montana loves her best friend hulk" and "The gay adventures of Captain America and Wolverine" ...

5. tksensei profile image61
    tksenseiposted 6 years ago

Soon, all the super-villians will be Jewish...

1. 0
      Denno66posted 6 years ago in reply to this

6. Len Cannon profile image90
    Len Cannonposted 6 years ago

I'm sure Disney will be cleaning up their Marvel properties just as much as they do their Miramax films: not at all.  The truth is, Disney doesn't care about Marvel comics.  What they're concerned about is having a partnership for future movies which have been big earners for Marvel in the past.

The most you should expect to see out of the deal in terms of comics is perhaps a resurgence in Disney branded comics (Donald Duck, etc.), but certainly not with characters like the X-Men.  Time Warner buying DC hasn't changed the corporate or editorial culture, I doubt Walt Disney will have much of an effect on Marvel either.

1. drej2522 profile image87
      drej2522posted 6 years ago in reply to this

agreed...good points...Disney shouldn't affect Marvel's comics.