jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (17 posts)

The two party system is killing democracy?

1. rhamson profile image76
    rhamsonposted 7 years ago

With the gridlock and finger pointing from both sides of the isle and the ensuing bickering and posturing, has the current congress a chance to help the American People?

What could change this and how can we go about making this government work for us?

2. Pr0metheus profile image61
    Pr0metheusposted 7 years ago

Shades of gray....

3. lelanew55 profile image79
    lelanew55posted 7 years ago

One solution might be taking the money out of politics.

rhamsonposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I agree but how do you get the slime to vote against their own longevity? Referendum?

1. lelanew55 profile image79
        lelanew55posted 7 years ago in reply to this

Some say the solution can be public financing of elections. But people say it is unconstitutional. Can we amend the constitution? It might take a century.

4. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 7 years ago

Believe it or not many Generation Y dont see any Democracy in America at all...its just a nice word to throw around.

That is a horible thought.  They will have a lot of investigating to do to navigate around the slime on the hill rhetoric won't they?

5. tony0724 profile image60
    tony0724posted 7 years ago

Two solutions 1. Throw out all Incumbents they all feel no sense of accountability to their constituents .2 Get rid of all Lobbyists !

I do not care which party they are from any more all Integrity Is gone on Capitol Hill !!!

We really need a third party !!!

I think that would be a great start.  How do we get the slime out?

1. tony0724 profile image60
        tony0724posted 7 years ago in reply to this

By ballot and hopefully the Idiots who keep reelecting these carpetbaggers are starting to pay attention !

1. 0
          A Texanposted 7 years ago in reply to this

They will keep electing their idiots, voting for the other guy seems way too hard for some people.

I love it when we agree A Texan.  The system is too corrupt to cleanse itself in the state it is in right now.  The divide is too deep and the animosity too bitter.
            It would take a tremendous groundswell of support from this divided population to effect that kind of change.

Is it still possible to enact a Continental Congress to make effective laws governing special interests, earmark funding, campaign financing and political favor?

I hope so and I would like to hear some ideas as to how we the people could accomplish this.

1. 0
              A Texanposted 7 years ago in reply to this

We have a Continental club on South Congress down town Austin, is that what you meant? Sorry I couldn't resist.

No but I bet they have the same happy hour!

6. Misha profile image74
    Mishaposted 7 years ago

Read Plato, he said everything two thousand years ago, and nothing changed since. smile

Is hopelessness the answer?

1. Misha profile image74
        Mishaposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Umm, is hoping on something that likely will never come the answer?

working