Why do you think President Obama was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (56 posts)
  1. neonline69 profile image59
    neonline69posted 14 years ago

What do you think are the reasons for which the Nobel Peace Prize was awarded to Barack Obama?

Barack Obama is the fourth President to win the Nobel Peace Prize behind Theodore Roosevelt, Woodrow Wilson, and Jimmy Carter. Tell with us why YOU think President Obama won this prestigious award.

Leave Comments/ Answers below.

1. dutchman1951 profile image59
      dutchman1951posted 14 years agoin reply to this

He Got it because he is trying to systematicaly take apart the USA, and the EU folks think its great! well...They got till 2012, and this bull s..t stops!

They want favors and to see the dollar fall, but they do not realise, what really happens if it does. And they are underestimating the US population seriously so!

Jon

1. livelonger profile image86
        livelongerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Trivia question: Is Norway part of the EU?

1. profile image0
          A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thats funny, out of all that he said you chose that to respond to, not a single denial, just that.

2. LiamBean profile image80
        LiamBeanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The sky is falling, the sky is falling. Jeeze! Conspiracy nuts abound.

2. video lost profile image59
      video lostposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The reason is that all these mentioned people belong to Freemasonry directly or indirectly and the founding fathers of America or Satanica (whatever) are Freemasons and the whole world is under the dark clouds of Non Religious philosophical ideologies of Freemasonry, Kabbalah, Zionism, Hinduism, Conscious oriented themes etc. Killing, butchering and sebmerging the world in usury are one of the ultimate objectives of these ideologies and Obama is very efficiently involved in that. So how can they deny this meager prize of ultimate racket to Osama .. oh sorry, Obama

1. profile image0

Uh huh.roll

2. tksensei profile image59
        tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

...............................huh?

1. profile image0
          Ghost32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

................................eh?

1. Don W profile image83
            Don Wposted 14 years agoin reply to this

...............................what?

1. video lost profile image59

Yes,

The reason is that all these mentioned people belong to Freemasonry directly or indirectly and the founding fathers of America or Satanica (whatever) are Freemasons and the whole world is under the dark clouds of Non Religious philosophical ideologies of Freemasonry, Kabbalah, Zionism, Hinduism, Conscious oriented themes etc. Killing, butchering and sebmerging the world in usury are one of the ultimate objectives of these ideologies and Obama is very efficiently involved in that. So how can they deny this meager prize of ultimate racket to Osama .. oh sorry, Obama

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61
                Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Welcome back Usman.  We missed you.

3. youcanwin profile image42
      youcanwinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

His contribution to crub the world economic downturn is considered.

4. Bibowen profile image88
      Bibowenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think it was a clerical error. I think they meant to give him the "Nobel Appeasement Prize" instead of the "Nobel Peace Prize."

5. Beeline to Goods profile image59
      Beeline to Goodsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think President Obummer won the Nobel Peace Prize because he is a puppet who needs his strings waxed so that he can provide a smoother show for the waiting American public.  I am sure he must have had to print up lots of cash to buy that sheep skin for his resume.  The informed and rightly skeptical, discerning American public doesn't believe Obummer was AWARDED the Nobel Peace Prize.  The only ones convinced he deserved it are he and his daughter Mileigha.  I think he purchased this award to let the American public know that he plans to continue to mock and shit on all of the proper avenues of public conduct. This is just the beginning kiddies. Those behind the scenes of the Obummer puppet show have been dumbing down the American public for generations now with poor public education, influx of drugs, tearing down of the American family, introducing lax morals through movies, TV, press etc. Introducing non-english speaking into the american public...The list just goes on. The youth of today's society are responsible for buying in on evil lies and promises.  I read your comments, and weep to see that they have us exactly where they need us to be to get the job done. I read the comment on conspiracy theories and can't help but believe that you all know it is true, but are too afraid to process it as reality, thus the chicken little comment.

2. Len Cannon profile image88
    Len Cannonposted 14 years ago

As a show of approval for tentative ideas regarding nuclear disarmament and unconditional peace talks in the middle east.  Like many Nobel Peace Prizes, this was more of a "we like your ideas, now use this money and prestige to DO them" rather than a reward for completing a task.

It is why the Nobel Peace Prize significantly differs from Nobel Prizes in economics, medicine or any other category the honor is awarded.

Probably quite a bit of "me-too" voting and the name recognition helps in the same way well advertised films have a better chance of winning an Academy Award.

3. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 14 years ago

I really have no idea.  I would award the NPP to someone who actually does stuff... Angolina Jolee, Bono, an Israele woman who collects food and clothing and distributes them through the war torn countries on foot and by herself etc...

Oh wait, I guess true peace awards don't go to humanitarian efforts.  Nor do they go to people who collectively strive for peace in their daily lives by enriching others with peace etc.

1. Don W profile image83

Hello Sandra. Don't think we've ever spoken. I'm Don. Nice to meet you smile

How does writing a UN resolution on Nuclear Non-proliferation and Nuclear Disarmament (UNSC Resolution: 1887) which is then unanimously adopted by the 15 U.N. security council members, not constitute a "humanitarian effort"?

I appreciate that effort can't be seen in bricks, mortar, food, water and shelter, but surely helping to stop the world blowing itself to bits qualifies as a "strive for peace".

1. Misha profile image62
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Do you seriously believe he wrote it? yikes

Just wondering, how many resolution authors (nominal authors at that, not real ones) were awarded the NPP? wink

1. Don W profile image83

Hello Misha. Seen you in around in the forum, never really spoken. Nice to meet you.

If by “wrote it” you mean do I believe was the driving force behind what went into the resolution, then yes. If you mean did he actually physically type the thing, then no.

In 2004 as a Senator, he toured Eastern Europe with republican Senator Lugar, because he thought Lugar’s work on the Nunn-Lugar non proliferation program (based on legislation they introduced in 1992) was good. In 2005 he co-sponsored a bill with Lugar to update the Nunn-Lugar program by making important expansions to it. That Act (the Lugar-Obama Act) became law in 2007 and makes important expansions on the non proliferation of nuclear weapons program.

Is it likely given that background that he had a big part to play in the drafting of the non-proliferation resolution? I’d say so. Moreover, is it likely the main reason his administration was involved in drafting such a resolution is because he pushed for it to do so, as this is an issue that he has personally been involved with for at least five years? I’d say the chances are high. That effort can hardly be called “nominal”.

4. profile image0
    A Texanposted 14 years ago

Why did Obama get the Nobel Peace Prize?

His worldwide celebrity earned him this prize, the Nobel committee just wanted to give him a thumbs up on winning the Presidency. His greatest accomplishment in office is he is not George W Bush.

1. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

ROTFLMAO!

2. thranax profile image72
      thranaxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Agreed. Whoever isn't George W Bush wins all awards I can think of.

~thranax~

3. LiamBean profile image80

Wow. You know in part that's very true. Without his celebrity he certainly wouldn't have the world-wide following he has. And there's a nugget of truth in the "he's not George Bush" assertion too.

Damn dude! You just surprised the "poop" outta me.

5. dejajolie profile image59
    dejajolieposted 14 years ago

Oh guys did someone just compare a freakin celebrity to the President! I think I just threw up in my throat. If AL freakin' Gore can get a NPP- yeah I think he deserves one. Did anyone bother to look at his resume or do we simply accept all what the media says, yeah that's probably it. Bottom line, none of us deserve it, so why not give it to him!!!!!!!!

1. Misha profile image62
      Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Give it to me then smile

6. donotfear profile image85
    donotfearposted 14 years ago

I'm not sure why he won it either...Why didn't they give it to Ronald Reagan when he was living? He directly influenced the 'tearing down'of the Berlin Wall.

1. LiamBean profile image80

Good Lord is that canard still floating around? "Tear down this wall", is not the same as screwing up and making an announcement on East German radio that convinced the population to go to the streets and start tearing down the wall.

The East German media "tore down the wall" not Regan! It wasn't The Pope either and I've heard it was his doing too. If you really want to know how it happened read this;

http://www.slate.com/id/2221960/?from=r … f=obinsite

You'll notice that neither Regan nor the Pope are mentioned.

All Regan did was tax the middle-class, give tax breaks to the rich, and put a whole bunch of mental health patients on the street.

And they all ended up on the West Coast...where I live...in Ronald Regan's home state. Thanks Ronnie!

No, the real heros were the East Germans who took a chance and massed in the streets. And perhaps the one person who had the most to do with the fall of the wall was a Hungarian reformist named Miklos Nemeth.

Ronald Regan my arse!

1. tksensei profile image59

Reagan did 'tear down the wall' by winning the Cold War (Bush was the closer, but Reagan gets the win).

2. profile image0

Slate.com, you couldn't find a more left wing rag? Excuse me, I have to give this lunacy what it deserves.HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
        With this latest revision of history you didn't surprise the "poop" outa me.

7. Epleeba1 profile image61
    Epleeba1posted 14 years ago

President Obama was named the recipient of the Peace Prize but the voting citizens of this country actually earned it. In the eyes of the international community we have shown intelligence and a willingness to embrace diversity that has not been associated with this country for many years. We were given the prize for wresting control of our government away from the well paid Republicans.

1. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

WHAT!?.............................Better luck next time Larry.

8. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

megalomania? wink

9. johnb0127 profile image62
    johnb0127posted 14 years ago

He was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize because he did absolutely nothing. 

Did you hear Obama went to a football game yesterday? Yeah, he won the Heisman Trophy

1. prettydarkhorse profile image55
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, his ideas and plans about peace are at place. He just need to make it work. He cant do it alone. It is like awarding a scientist a seed money for a project proposal,(is a proposal enough to win an award?) because the proposal is awesome, but will it work? we dont know yet, time and history will tell and judge what he does anyway. Lets give him a chance and respect the giver of the award..

10. neocobra5 profile image61
    neocobra5posted 14 years ago

I think the idea behind it was to encourage him to work harder. With all these people wondering why he got it he's either gonna have to become what he was awarded for or die in shame of having an award while the nation hates him for it. I think it will force him to take extra actions to improve the nation.

11. tksensei profile image59
    tksenseiposted 14 years ago

12. Jackson Riddle profile image49
    Jackson Riddleposted 14 years ago

Seriously, everyone get off Obama's back. He deserved the prize, he got the prize and you can't take it away from him. Go and join the Nobel Prize commitee and then you can give it to whoever you want to, until then Obama's awesome. Too bad Australia doesn't have someone like him, Kevin Rudd is a joke.

Why?

1. Jackson Riddle profile image49
        Jackson Riddleposted 14 years agoin reply to this

His efforts to bring awareness to the world on things like nuclear weapons, climate change etc etc will only be furthered by winning the prize.

Ok, what has he done to accomplish anything regarding those issues?

2. video lost profile image59

what about his own country, USA and it's nuclear weapons. Has he done anything regarding his own weapons???

2. cally2 profile image61
        cally2posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'll second that. Wassie done so far? He talks a good talk and I applaud him for that. But sorry he still runs the country that is having more and bigger wars than anyone else. Peace prize? I'm going to go away and f*** for virginity.

13. Jackson Riddle profile image49
    Jackson Riddleposted 14 years ago

Ok, this is the third thread that is about him winning the peace prize. Go and read them because I honestly can't be bothered to talk to all these Naive people who think they know all about Obama and all about the Nobel Prize committee.

So to all those non believers, get off the anti-Obama band wagon, you should be grateful that he is your president.

Yeah! Maybe we could show our appreciation for him through song!

1. cally2 profile image61
        cally2posted 14 years agoin reply to this

can we we sing in a Native American language please.

14. profile image0
    poetlorraineposted 14 years ago

+

could it be because he is a peaceful man, and would never encourage war.  He would never even hurt a flea, would he

15. Abs Machine profile image60
    Abs Machineposted 14 years ago

Well I guess it's because he represents new hopes for a better understanding with the other countries. Instead of Bush's "let's bomb them away" approach he again creates strategic alliences, tries to cooperate with as many countries as possible, engages for the peace in Middle East.

16. earnestshub profile image83
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

The rest of the world mostly loves Obama. He represents a hope for peace to so many.

17. praisejoe profile image60
    praisejoeposted 14 years ago

Give me the nobel prize

1. Jackson Riddle profile image49
      Jackson Riddleposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nice contribution, keep it up.

1. praisejoe profile image60
        praisejoeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yeah, thanks but I really man if no one deserves it then..........

18. Don W profile image83
    Don Wposted 14 years ago

This thread reminds me of the Monty Python sketch from Life of Brian.

Reg: All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation, and medicine, and education, and irrigation, and public health, and roads, and a freshwater system, and baths, and public order... what have the Romans done for us?

Xerxes: Brought peace!

Reg: What!? Oh... Peace, yes... shut up!

big_smile

19. eovery profile image59
    eoveryposted 14 years ago

He is the Great Messiah.  He is an open slate that is anything you want him to be.  Who does actually know Obama?  Many still don't know him.  Every thinks of him how they think he should be.  Many feel he is a moderate, when actually he records shows that he is the most liberal president ever.   

He got it on what he can or will do.

The media did the biggest cover up on him ever.  50% of the people do not even knows that he smoked at the time of the elections.  Was that not a cover up?

1. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hear!Hear!

20. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image61
    VENUGOPAL SIVAGNAposted 14 years ago

I think Obama was awarded Nobel Prize for his double standards on terrorism... Aiding Pakistan with billions of dollars to fight terrorism, while not willing to take note that terrorism stems from Pakistan only.... The American dollar goes directly to the terrorists through Pakistan.

Just by convening a meeting on Non-proliferation, no one can stop the spread of weapons... until and unless the NPT becomes impartial.

Nobel Prize is loosing its glory.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)