Media stands up for their own

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (28 posts)
  1. profile image0
    A Texanposted 14 years ago

Obama's attempt at silencing fox news ain't working

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/10 … interview/

1. dutchman1951 profile image59
      dutchman1951posted 14 years agoin reply to this

The very thing Obama is fighting to stop, Seclusion by class, is the very thing he does in reverse! Good Grief.

I mean Black people excluded as poor, Fox excluded as Right Wing beligerant...Executives excluded from Pay right, high or not?

He needs to make up his mind. Is he going to Be the President for "ALL" like he told us in his speach?

You gotta wounder, does he have the stomach for this office, and the critisisums that come with the territory, or is he all about something else.

His real self is comming out I think

Jon

2. Ivorwen profile image66
    Ivorwenposted 14 years ago

That's the first good thing I have heard about the media in a long time!

3. profile image0
    A Texanposted 14 years ago

Ain't it? Why would a President go after a news organization to begin with? Does he really think he is above criticism? Sadly, I think he does.

4. profile image56
    C.J. Wrightposted 14 years ago

The media loves presidents...they elect them, then dismantle them!  This is definitely encouraging.

5. jiberish profile image79
    jiberishposted 14 years ago

This is a little plug for myself, but Obama has an agenda to silence Fox, while Msnbc is his darling.  Msnbc's CEO, Immett is on Obama's financial advisory board, can you say conflict of interest?

1. profile image56
      C.J. Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Are you trying to insert ethics into politics? ABSURD!

2. profile image0
      Madame Xposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You mean, you mean . . . he's not above all that?

6. livelonger profile image86
    livelongerposted 14 years ago

I don't think they should be shut up, but Fox News is really more of an opinion channel than a news channel. I have to admit that "fair and balanced" always makes me snicker when I hear it - I don't know what sort of self-delusion their "newspeople" are practicing to say that with a straight face. Most seem to enjoy talking over their guests in the clips I've seen.

1. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You've never watched fox!

1. profile image0
        A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Its obvious he doesn't have a clue what happens on Fox.

1. lxxy profile image60
          lxxyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Still waiting for a (major) media outlet that isn't opinion, but then again I'm still hopeful that Microsoft will create a good product besides DirectX.

Ever the eternal optimist, I know.

1. profile image0

I don't have a problem with opinion on opinion shows, that kinda the point, but when you refuse to cover stories because it makes a politician look bad then you shouldn't be able to call it news!

1. livelonger profile image86
              livelongerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Exactly. You've just described Fox News during the Bush era.

1. profile image0

They are all registered as "news entertainment companies". One is no different from another. It's a liability thing.

2. profile image0

Really? I saw plenty of opinion that ran contrary to Bush on these opinion shows, I saw many guests that were allowed to speak out against the Bush administration, I don't think someone who admits to seeing only "clips" of these programs should be taken as an expert on FoxNews!

2. lxxy profile image60
              lxxyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm with you on that. All the Tea Parties and the lack of coverage there was pretty disappointing, unless you like to watch the gamut and hit a channel called FOX.

I think it's pretty interesting how the leftwing media has tried and tried again to knock down the only "rightwing" competitor. I guess it's hard to keep the only decent game in town down.

2. Lori J Mitchell profile image59
      Lori J Mitchellposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You should probably watch it before making foolish statement like this.  I just love it when people criticize without having all the facts.  I mean if we were to do that about our President wouldn't we say he is a cocaine addict whose marriage is on the brink of failure?

I just took two small excerpts from his book and judged him by that...much the same way as so many know-it-alls judge an entire network by one or two clips taken out of context.

Didn't I make it clear that I've seen clips of their shows? (Not just a couple) You don't have to watch it 24/7 to get a clear impression of how things work there.

1. profile image0

You are watching clips of opinion shows not the hard news side of Fox, if you claim you are then those of us who actually watch will know you for what you are!

2. tony0724 profile image60
          tony0724posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Apparently you do !

7. Flightkeeper profile image67
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

The media should rally around Fox, if the government were successful in taking down Fox, and that's a big IF, any one of those media stations could be next.

1. profile image0

Yes, that's the reason they did it, I think.

8. livelonger profile image86
    livelongerposted 14 years ago

I wasn't aware that I would have to be a daily watcher to be able to form an opinion about it.

Are you an expert on everything you share an opinion on here?

1. profile image0

You would need to watch a little more than clips from another cable news network to form an informed opinion, and by your own admission that is all you know about FoxNews.

Well, that's a matter of opinion, isn't it?

At any rate, I'd love to see an objective study of the various news/entertainment networks' biases. My suspicion is that CNN is the least biased, because right-wingers accuse it of having a left-wing bias and left-wingers accuse it of having a right-wing bias. smile

9. ledefensetech profile image68
    ledefensetechposted 14 years ago

I think it's interesting to watch the market at work.  The other news organizations aren't covering the stories about this administration and Fox is.  While this has attracted the ire of the President and all of his men, more and more Americans are tuning into Fox.  This is exactly how a free market protects the customer.  You have to give people what they want, in this case real reporting, if you want to compete effectively for ad dollars.  If you can do that, people will flock to you.

This also shows how self-interest can protect industries and the customers of those industries.  While the other news agencies may have ideological issues with Fox they understand Ben Franklin's saying "We must all hang together or assuredly we shall all hang separately".  The news networks proved the timeless wisdom of that adage this week.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)