jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

Whadda ya think?

1. tksensei profile image59
    tksenseiposted 7 years ago
  2. 0
    Adnan Habibposted 7 years ago

Business is ruling over:}

3. prettydarkhorse profile image64
    prettydarkhorseposted 7 years ago

i think that when you go to a specific country, you should adapt to the culture but not forgetting where you came from, it is for your own good also, because you are there already, to maximize your stay to the new environment. Dont expect the people there to adapt to you, and Language is one of these things.

it is just rude at times when you dont understand what the people are talking about and they continue to just talk and discuss things at your back. (unless of course u know that they cant really speak the common language in the area), but they should have the effort to learn the new language if they gonna stay there for long or as immigrants.

4. 0
    poetlorraineposted 7 years ago

yep i agree everyone should speak english.  I don't speak spanish either, it is annoying when you can't understand others.

English people like me, find some languages hard to learn, so better everyone else learn english

p.s. tongue in cheek comment

5. 60
    C.J. Wrightposted 7 years ago

I think the guy is well with in his rights as an employer to demand that they only speak english while at work. That being said, I would imagine he has no problem with them speaking spanish while interacting with spanish speaking customer's. Forcing name changes is another thing. Think he's dead wrong on this issue.

6. 0
    Madame Xposted 7 years ago

Here in CA (maybe elsewhere too) the nail (manicure) business is dominated by Viet Namese women. All of them have chosen to take English names for the ease and convenience of their customers. If a Spanish name is too difficult then maybe it could be changed to the English version. I used to live in NM and I visited many times before I moved there. Staying at a hotel with employees using their own Spanish or Indian names was a wonderful part of the local color.

As far as speaking Spanish in his presence when he doesn't know the language, that's just rude in any language.

1. tksensei profile image59
      tksenseiposted 6 years ago in reply to this

7. ledefensetech profile image81
    ledefensetechposted 7 years ago

If they don't want to change their names or speak in English, don't work for the place.  If and when the hotel manager needs people, he'll adapt his policy to the community.  If he has plenty of help, then the problem lies with the minority rather than the majority in the community.