"Schieffer on Palin: NO FUTURE IN POLITICS (CBS)

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (39 posts)
  1. fishskinfreak2008 profile image58
    fishskinfreak2008posted 14 years ago

Translation: Sarah Palin, stop dreaming about becoming president and go babysit Bristol Palin's child!

1. profile image0
      Poppa Bluesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well I wouldn't count her out just because of what Bob Schieffer says.

1. fishskinfreak2008 profile image58
        fishskinfreak2008posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Schieffer is pretty reliable. More reliable than Dan Rather is anyway

1. spease profile image60
          speaseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How can you say someone is reliable when your talking about an opinion of what might happen in 3 years?

2. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

if I could just get past that shrill, whiny voice of hers...

2. rhamson profile image71
    rhamsonposted 14 years ago

If she wins the nomination of the Republicans it will further bolster votes for Obama.  If the Republican party wishes to change their destiny they have to come up with a good candidate.  Even with all the disfavor "W" had in the 2004 election he beat Kerry.  The Kerry platform seemed to say that he would not do much different only better.  In other words the candidate of no ideas.  McCain got branded the same way to a certain extent.

Palin would immediately polarize the Republican party as when she went on the ticket in 2008. There was almost an even split between the party constituency.

The Democrats are hoping this as a best case scenario that can be played out to re-elect Obama.

1. Jeffrey Neal profile image68
      Jeffrey Nealposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hate to say it, but I think you are actually right, here.  Lot's of people who don't want to vote for Obama wouldn't vote for Palin, based on convos I've had about it.

1. rhamson profile image71
        rhamsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

While I am not a member of either party I do wish we would get some better choices from them if they are the ones to offer the leading candidates.  The peculiar part about this whole process is that while the nominated candidates vie for votes from either party the Independent vote is getting harder for them to appeal too.  This may be a result of party platforms being too rigid or not relevant to the issues but it should be a wake up call.  The Independents are becomming larger and a three party election may loom in the future because of their bungeling.

That's why I think it could be an issue.  Lots of people didn't think GW Bush would be re-elected.  I hope BO is a one and done candidate, but the independents are the wild card.

A multi-party election is something I wish for, but it would be a double-edged sword by splitting up middle and conservative votes.  We had the exact same thing happen here in a mayoral election with a 4 term incumbent leaving and the top two candidates lost to a third (who is more of the same and part of the established power circle) due to vote splits.

Granted that awful results could follow some of these elections perhaps voting on issues other than party power and influence may make this a true democracy eventually.  A hard pill to swallow but if the result is getting self rule back it may be one we should endure.

2. fishskinfreak2008 profile image58
      fishskinfreak2008posted 14 years agoin reply to this

"If she wins the nomination of the Republicans it will further bolster votes for Obama". OK, I can't argue with you there.

3. profile image0
    Poppa Bluesposted 14 years ago

Well I don't agree. 2012 is a long way from here and by then Obama will have made such a mess of the American economy, the republicans could put up anyone and win. Obama will be a 1 term president.

4. Daniel Carter profile image62
    Daniel Carterposted 14 years ago

The one point about Palin that analysts agree on is that she is woefully underqualified and a very loose cannon. Romney thinks he has a shot at 2012, but I don't think his money can buy the candicacy, and I think he will only continue to show he is noncommittal to anything except his own agenda of gaining power in addition to his wealth. (That and the Mormon issue. Mormons continue to lose credibility over all on so many issues.)

There may be a dark horse that will appear in the Republican party. Someone may yet be savvy enough to see the mess and the opportunity and create an additional stir as Obama did. However, that person must be mightily shrewd and incredibly connected. I don't see that happening, because I don't see "God's Only Begotten Daughter" (Oprah) backing anyone but Obama in coming times.

It is a mess that will likely not unravel easily. But the one thing I'm sure of is that the red-neck approach of Sarah Palin and her reckless, flippant remarks are costing her ground on a daily basis.

That is as it should be.

Yeah, I think most will see through Romney.  He's more of the same.  Palin appeals to people the same way Bush did in his first run because she seems less a part of the political establishment.  She will get a lot of votes if she ran, make no mistake, but would it be enough to win?  It depends on if middle Americans, who haven't been participating but are now getting anxious, decide to flood the polls the way a segment of Obama's supporters did.

As for her being unqualified, a governor has more experience with the moving parts of gov't than a freshman Senator, so I don't know that it makes that much of a difference...just my lowly opinion. 

I'm not sure I'm understanding your comment on Oprah, though.  Forgive my ignorance, but is she a major factor for upcoming elections?

I think you are correct in assuming there will be some support for her but I think America will have a hard time with her record as Govenor of Alaska.  The allegations and early departure from office whether related or not will have voters wondering if she is a competent choice regardless of her executive experience.

5. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

I can't get past any part of her~~ ever.

6. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

big_smile

yeah shooting wolves from helicopters and cuttin' down moose doesn't set well with me... sad

7. profile image0
    Revive@OwnRiskposted 14 years ago

Endorsements are huge in voting years. Endorsements line people up behind those who share similar opinions as themselves. Oprah carries a lot of power. (It was her who filled the stadium in support of Obama, not Obama.) I believe that's one reason why Obama stole the show last year.

Palin will have a hard time in collecting endorsements that really matter enough to sway general votes. She is too specialized, and too renegade. However, she makes for a wonderfully entertaining distraction. She'll always get lots of press time because of that.

8. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

I'm glad she used a ghostwriter for her book, otherwise it could very well have been called "Going ROUGE". wink

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

9. rhamson profile image71
    rhamsonposted 14 years ago

What amazes me about the Sarah Palin phenomena is the acceptance she recieves by intelligent women who rally to her  gender rather than the substance of her words. As a woman I would be offended by the party that promulgates this activity.

Now you lost me.  You think Hillary's support was solely based on "the substance of her words"? lol

Well I never was a fan of Hillary and on the other side of the coin I think she was too smart for her own britches.  But yes I agree there was a real degree of gender put into selling her candidacy.

I think Hillary is a smart and savy politician and that she was much more qualified to serve as president although I wouldn't want to see her brand of politics in charge.

But the senseless answers to questions Sarah Palin gave only proved that she was not ready to be vice president let alone president.  I don't see how anybody can deny her lack of preparedness to serve at that level.  The answers to the questions and her statements can only lead one to believe there was something other than substance being sold us during that election.

From both left and right...all the rest doesn't matter...smile

If you feel that way, then I guess you are a part of the phenomena as well.  Your reasoning is what is part of this debate and forum post.  Can you explain it and how the two are connected?

I am stating my opinions on how things might go, but I'm not sure about what "phenomena" you are adding me into.  I never said I supported anyone on this whole thread, so maybe you can make your statements clearer in order to get a good response?

While I do not support Palin, to say she has no future in politics is wishful thinking.  Right now it seems like(and maybe it's always been this way) the elections are about who can get folks whipped up.  Palin has proven she can do this.  Just because I'm not falling for the mess fed to me by either party, doesn't mean others aren't.  I think McCain might have won if he had selected someone like Huckaby or Romney instead of Palin.  I'm not betting on the teams, but the game is fun to watch.

Your failure to distinguish between the presidential candidacy of Hillary and the vice presidency of Sarah Palin is where I got lost in your post.  The two are different in that the Hillary candidacy was in reaction to the other minority candidate in Obama.  This was based on a minority issue.  Once Hillary was out of the race McCain introduced Palin into the mix as it was merely a reaction to the women vote he might be able to capture from disgruntled Hillary supporters because of Palins gender.  The two never really competed with each other but one party tried to capitalize on the after effect.

And I agree McCain might have made a much stronger showing had he picked someone showing leadership rather than exploiting a loop hole.  He lost is the only concilation.

10. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

Her dramatic contrast to the left especially women on the left make her a unique curiosity. The right needs substance not gimmicks that was the problem last election, no substance. They sacrificed the middle and lost control of the congress and the rest was writing on the wall.

I voted Republican solely on Obamas lack of credible experience and nothing he's done so far has changed my mind.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60
      Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

She is indeed a curiosity - worthy of Ripley's.

1. profile image0
        Revive@OwnRiskposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And about a few martinis to sleep it off.
        smile

2. livelonger profile image85
      livelongerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, that would rule out Palin, too, in your book.

Your favorite candidate for 2012?

1. profile image0
        sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't know one, I've had enough of buisness run government as soon as money's involved there goes morals and ethics. McCain was just cannon fodder. Maybe Huckabee or Romney. I doubt seriously that America is ready for a Mormon president his beliefs are strict and uncompromising and liberals would be enraged. Except he did manage Massachusetts and they are pretty liberal.

1. livelonger profile image85

Sounds like Hannity is trying to rebrand Romney. Probably won't work.

11. profile image58
    C.J. Wrightposted 14 years ago

For what ever reason, I can find no other instance of a VP candidate getting such attention.  I hear people tell me that they actually voted for McCain because of Palin.  When has anyone voted for president based on their running mate? Its my opinion that for the most point VP's are irrealevant. 

Who was Nixon's VP?
    Who was Ford's VP?
    Who was Carters VP?
    Who was Reagan's VP?
    Who was Bush's VP?
    Who was Clinton's VP?
    Who was Bush's VP?

Bet you most people couldn't even name the above from memory....

I agree but the part about Palin being a heart beat away from the Presidency really added value to the pause we all had with her and her readiness.

12. Jeffrey Neal profile image68
    Jeffrey Nealposted 14 years ago

Okay, that's why I was confused.  My earlier response was in reference to the selling of Obama, not Hillary, and yes I thought it was a bit sorry tactic to throw in Palin there.  It was completely transparent to both the wife and I, and she would have voted for McCain if he hadn't have done that.  It made McCain look desperate, I thought.

I don't think Palin will be bad for politics, but just like BO, I don't think she should be President.  We need more people like Palin (in terms of her willingness to go her own way) in politics, though, since it's obvious that she scares the establishment.

I think we are pretty much in agreement and I think if they had somebody like Palin with more savy and understanding of relevant issues I could vote for her no matter the party.

1. livelonger profile image85

Really?
        1. She's a compulsive liar.
        2. She believes she's going to witness the Second Coming.
        3. She has a disturbingly Manichean worldview (health care reform is "downright evil" most recently)

The problems with this woman go far beyond her lack of familiarity with political issues (although that is a huge problem too, because they stem from her complete lack of interest in them).

13. europewalker profile image78
    europewalkerposted 14 years ago

I don't believe she is very intelligent and just hearing her speak makes me cringe!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)