jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (15 posts)

Latest polls and your reaction

1. habee profile image90
    habeeposted 7 years ago

I've been reading some of the polls on support for the healthcare bill. Support is at a new low, with only 38% supporting the bill. 56% oppose the bill. My question is this: Should representatives vote the way their constituents want them to, or should they ignore their constituents' wishes and do what they think is best? This applies not only to health care, but for issues in general. What do you think?

Here's the latest poll:

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_ … are_reform

1. 60
      C.J. Wrightposted 7 years ago in reply to this

We are a representative democracy..a republic....the members of congress are duty bound to vote the will of the people. When they don't they better have a good reason.

2. 0
      A Texanposted 7 years ago in reply to this

They should just resign right after they vote for impeachment of the Fraud in Chief!

3. 0
      Poppa Bluesposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I think they are supposed to represent us, so they should vote in accordance with the wishes of their constituents. Unfortunately they think that because we voted for them that means we want them to tell us, what's best for us! I don't know if it's their arrogance or their possession of power that alludes them into thinking that they should decide for us rather than do our bidding! Health care will pass, in spite of the wishes of the people which only reinforces the belief that your vote means nothing and that we are not a free people but slaves to a government out of control and drunk with power!

4. aware profile image70
      awareposted 7 years ago in reply to this

polls have up to a 6% margin of error for one. plus the polling group is often  bias .

2. tobey100 profile image61
    tobey100posted 7 years ago

Elected officials in all branches of government are elected as representatives.  We live in a representative democracy (though who knows for how long).  There's nothing more arrogant that a public official telling us he's going to vote his conscience (most of them don't have one).  We should never fall into the belief that because an individual gets elected, he/she suddenly becomes more intelligent, sophisticated, more learned, or more able to determine the path for the rest of us.  Its our job to be informed and demand representation based on knowledge, not feeling or expediency.

3. habee profile image90
    habeeposted 7 years ago

Aw, c'mon, Tex - tell me how your really feel!

1. 0
      A Texanposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Ok

4. Flightkeeper profile image78
    Flightkeeperposted 7 years ago

If this keeps up, President Obama's initial isn't going to stand for the letter O but the number zero.  His numbers are goind down and he came back from his last foreign trip with a big fat zero.  Didn't accomplish anything. Oh except learn how to bow.

1. 0
      Madame Xposted 7 years ago in reply to this

There are a number (no pun - really!) of sites that refer to him as exactly that !

5. Flightkeeper profile image78

No way, he's already President Zero!  Okay I don't know whether to laugh or smirk.

Okay I'll laugh. lol

6. Flightkeeper profile image78

You're right Madame, others are recognizing his failures as well.  I think in one of the british papers, he was recently characterized as an empty suit.  Not sure what to make of that.

1. 0
      Madame Xposted 7 years ago in reply to this

seen that one too - on lots of sites . . .

7. prettydarkhorse profile image66
    prettydarkhorseposted 7 years ago

hi habee, I should feel that since a "representative" as the term itself calls for being the representative of the people or constituents, they should represent the majority of what the pulse of the people. Sorry but I dont think some polls are representative of the true opinions of the  people, I dont know how they conduct the poll or where do they get the sample, etc...

8. habee profile image90
    habeeposted 7 years ago

I agree, polls can be skewed. But Rasmussen was the most accurate in the 2008 election. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean they're right about this. IF, however, their numbers are correct, should our legislators take heed?

working