President Obama pretty much alone in promoting health care

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (22 posts)
  1. fishskinfreak2008 profile image59
    fishskinfreak2008posted 14 years ago

President Obama is pretty much alone in promoting his health care proposal/package/legislation to his former Senate colleagues because Vice President Biden is busy explaining to us why the $787 billion stimulus package has made the economic situation worse instead of better, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton is busy sorting out the mess between Israelis and the Palestinians as well as the ongoing crisis in Honduras, among other things and Defense Secretary Bob Gates is trying to decide when to draw down in Iraq and "surge" in Afghanistan. So where has Kathleen Sebelius been during all of this? She is, after all, the Secretary for HEALTH & Human Services.

1. ladypant profile image61
      ladypantposted 14 years agoin reply to this

She is busy with that H1N1 Flu pandemic. Wow, so many crises so little people to deal with them all.God Bless anyone who works for the new administration in this difficult time in our country.  I could not do it!

1. profile image0
        A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Is that the same H1N1 that Doctors incorrectly diagnose as swine flu when its actually the common cold?

2. fishskinfreak2008 profile image59
        fishskinfreak2008posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm only supporting them (i.e. the Obama administration) FOR NOW, but as Republicans and Blue Dogs would say "This doesn't guarantee my support for the future".

2. SageofReason profile image59
      SageofReasonposted 14 years agoin reply to this
  2. profile image0
    Madame Xposted 14 years ago

She just hasn't been told what to say yet

1. profile image55
      C.J. Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good one Madame...or maybe she's been told to keep quiet!LOL

3. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

President Zero didn't have to make this crisis worse.

4. SageofReason profile image59
    SageofReasonposted 14 years ago

The Democratic Party is "moonwalking" away from the promises it made to the American people. You cannot reconcile 8 years of Republican financial waste overnight. Anyone who thinks that health care is a trivial issue, is someone who doesn't NEED it! Ask all of the disabled American people how important health care is. They'll be glad to tell you. I'm one of them. I was a workaholic for 33 years, and when my knees would no longer let me do something I loved doing, which was be productive everyday, I became one of those who now face medical problems with NO health care. We as American citizens should never have to worry about whether or not we can afford medications that we NEED to live and function. So all of you politicians on Capital Hill who think health care is unimportant, talk to the sick, elderly, and disabled. They'll blow your mind!

1. tksensei profile image61
      tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Who has said that it's trivial?

1. Friendlyword profile image61
        Friendlywordposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How about all 40 Republican Senators? They think it's just an ISSUE to use against Obama.

1. Presigo profile image61
          Presigoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Please people, before you turn over your choice in health care please think. There are so many of us dependant on your answer

1. Ron Montgomery profile image59
            Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

We have choices currently?  Are we all suddenly blood-sucking insurance executives?

2. Karina S. profile image61
      Karina S.posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you!

5. lmmartin profile image69
    lmmartinposted 14 years ago

I live in the U.S. half the year and in Canada the other half though I've been married to an American for twenty years. Why? you ask? Because I can't get health insurance in the U.S., therefore need to keep my Canadian health coverage and residency. Why was I refused? you ask. Because I have rhuematoid arthritis, which is well under control and does not affect my excellent health -- but there it is. The condition is on the list kept by the insurance companies -- end of story. But even those I know with health insurance aren't protected should they fall ill. With the astronomical costs these days, even the co-pay (and let's not talk about treatments insurers refuse to pay for) they will face bankruptcy.

How can an intelligent group of people and an advanced nation like America take something so simple and make it so complex? People need and should have medical care and in most places it's considered a right. Why do so many fight against their own best interests. My research into the subject shows the add up all the replicated administration of every insurer, hospital, doctor,state, then add in the cost of health care added to the price of goods and services by employers, then add in all the people already getting public funded health care -- the public servants, the poor and of course the politicians, and Americans are already paying far more than universal, single payer medicine could ever cost.

I just don't get it.

6. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Immartin, I love your Mastiff. I have two Great Danes.

7. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Don't blame only the repubs for the health care mess. Dems have a hand in it, too. Why do we need 2,000+ pages for everyone to be covered by affordable health insurance?

8. lmmartin profile image69

Thanks for the doggie compliment -- mastiffs are great dogs. (We say Great Danes are anorexic mastiffs with Jack Russell personalities -- no insult intended.)

Many of you ask why is this health bill so voluminous? I think the opposition is setting up this bill to fail so they can say "See -- Americans don't want a govt. option" and kill any possibility of a sane system. And they'd be right. No one wants what is being presented to the Senate, as far as I can see. What many Americans want (and need) is a single payer universal system, which would be simpler and cheaper than the mess now in place.

But as one right-winger recently told me at a social occasion, "It will NEVER happen in this country." He also added I should go back to the communist country I came from. (Canada?)

This country is so divided on the issue, I wish you had the necessary mechanics to hold what we call a reforandum. In our country, when an issue has so divided opinion, it goes to the polls and we hold a special type of electoral process in which we cast a vote on that particular issue. Then the govt. is bound to follow the dictate of the people.

I don't think anyone knows what the American people really want, and perhaps that should be the first step. What does the majority want?

9. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

I think that's an awesome idea - let the people vote on the health care bill!

BTW, our Danes are totally laid-back couch potatoes - very Mastiff-like in personality!

10. profile image0
    Poppa Bluesposted 14 years ago

Every one in Congress that votes to pass this health care legislation which uses FORCE to make people buy insurance and FORCE to make others pay for it, should be impeached for a violation of their oath of office, to uphold and protect the constitution. If Obama signs this bill into law, he too should be impeached!
    The federal government has neither the authority or the right to pass such legislation, even IF the majority of Americans wanted them to!
    If Americans accept the passage of this bill into law, you may as well throw the constitution in the garbage and say good bye to freedom!

11. Ron Montgomery profile image59
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

http://denisewymore.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/disney-chicken-little-sky-falling.jpg

12. lmmartin profile image69

Bravo Montgomery, your contribution says it all.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)