jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (26 posts)

Has America's Obsession With Becoming "Famous" Gone Too Far?

1. Beyond-Politics profile image87
    Beyond-Politicsposted 7 years ago

Given the Balloon Boy debacle, the White House party-crashers, and the 11 or so women who have (conveniently) revealed THEIR extramarital affairs with golfing legend Tiger Woods, has America's obsession with trying to achieve 5 minutes in the limelight (at any price) gone too far?

1. AEvans profile image72
      AEvansposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I truly think so and how many of those women that claim to have affairs with Tiger Woods are actual copycats? Our society is a mess! smile

1. manlypoetryman profile image70
        manlypoetrymanposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I think that is deff the short answer AE..."Our society is a mess"!

2. Himitsu Shugisha profile image77
      Himitsu Shugishaposted 7 years ago in reply to this

In a word? Yes.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image81
      Uninvited Writerposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Definitely...way too many reality shows...

1. Beyond-Politics profile image87
        Beyond-Politicsposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I totally agree....who knew "reality" was so boring and inane?

1. Pr0metheus profile image60
          Pr0metheusposted 7 years ago in reply to this

and unrealistic....

4. rebekahELLE profile image91
      rebekahELLEposted 7 years ago in reply to this

the media has become god.

these people know that immediately their name will be world wide. it's very disturbing.

5. prettydarkhorse profile image63
      prettydarkhorseposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I think the media is too much also, Live people alone specially celebrities, they are becoming too famous,

2. h.a.borcich profile image61
    h.a.borcichposted 7 years ago

I sure think so, but I also think it is only a symptom of a much deeper problem. Holly

3. profile image62
    C.J. Wrightposted 7 years ago

I think there is an obsession with both becoming famous and hero worship.

4. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 7 years ago

The most ironic thing about those White House party crashers is that days later Obama announced escalation of the war in Afghanistan to help keep us safe from terrorists.

I mean, isn't there a sort of a disconnect there? On the one hand we're spending one million dollars per year per soldier to fight in no man's land halfway around the world, but while we're busy with that, two total yahoos walk right up to the President, the Vice President, and the leader of India with no security clearance whatsoever.

If terrorists had just thought of taking along a cute blonde and crashing a White House party, Nancy Pelosi would be President right now.

1. flread45 profile image82
      flread45posted 7 years ago in reply to this

Don't scare me like that pgrundy

5. flread45 profile image82
    flread45posted 7 years ago

As long as the news media jumps on these topics and follows them for days,these sort of people are going to eat it up just to make a buck.

6. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 7 years ago

I'm just sayin...

smile

7. Marisa Wright profile image94
    Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago

Yes, the obsession with being famous is frightening.  I'm old enough to remember the days when people dreamed of being famous FOR something. 

For instance, a little girl might dream of being a ballerina, or a novelist, or an Olympic athlete.  Those dreams might have been unrealistic, but at least they meant the little girl had aspirations to do something worthwhile, even if she didn't reach the heights she dreamed of.

Apparently these days, a majority of little girls just want to be famous, period.  And they're more likely to try to achieve that by stunts, because that's what they see working, than by doing something worthwhile.  Sad.

1. tantrum profile image60
      tantrumposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Be famous. Period.
      That's the only thing that matters today.
      so it's good to dream about it .

8. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 7 years ago

Reality shows really bring it to the forefront.

My dream was to play the piano - and that is still a reality.

The media is so over board that they'll do anything for a buck.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image81
      Uninvited Writerposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Now the dream is to play piano...but to do it on America's Got Talent and become a star smile

9. livelonger profile image89
    livelongerposted 7 years ago

This is nothing new; it's something in our country's DNA and goes back a long time.

Watch "Chicago" if you think this is a particularly new phenomenon.

1. earnestshub profile image88
      earnestshubposted 7 years ago in reply to this

So true, it has been observed from other countries that America is obsessed with fame. smile

1. livelonger profile image89
        livelongerposted 7 years ago in reply to this

And, in turn, many other countries are obsessed with America (often when they should be spending more attention on themselves). wink

2. rebekahELLE profile image91
      rebekahELLEposted 7 years ago in reply to this

what is different now, is that their 'fame' can be worldwide in a matter of minutes.

10. Jonathan Janco profile image80
    Jonathan Jancoposted 7 years ago

I have to say this topic has arrived awfully late. I think there's always been some element of that among humans, but we should've realized as Survivor, The Real World and American Idol type shows reared their ugly heads that the whole thing has gotten completely out of control.

11. dejajolie profile image62
    dejajolieposted 7 years ago

def most definitely. People don't even care if what they are 'famous' for is something illegal, immoral, or just down right wrong, Just as long as they are Famous!

12. Lady_E profile image82
    Lady_Eposted 7 years ago

It's not just America. It's happening in a lot of Countries.

Here, a lot of ladies hang out where ever Footballers are, so they can get a "Kiss n Tell" story out of it and sadly it happens. I think the last big story in the UK was Ashley Cole (Chelsea football player) with a girl he met in a bar.

They tried it with David Beckham (Rebecca Loo) but he was lucky it didn't bring him down.

This is the world we live in.

working