jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (13 posts)

US buys its way out of greenhouse gas emissions cuts....

1. 0
    ryankettposted 7 years ago

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/e … 958078.ece

So thats it is it? Obama thinks that a cheque will help prevent global warming? Whilst the EU commits to a 20% reduction in greenhouse gases.

Where are America finding this cash exactly? Does this go onto the countries already massive debts? What are we going to buy with it? A giant gas mask for the ozone layer?

This is a man who was given a Novel peace prize, yet appears unwilling to come to peace with planet earth.

I had a lot of faith in Obama to change things, but all I can see at the moment is a commitment to continuing Americas same old ways......

Britain should be equally ashamed for their role in helping to broker such a deal. Lets just put this into perspective:-

Per capita carbon emissions from consumption of energy

Metric tonnes of C02 (2007)

World 4.52

United States 19.94

Britain 9.28

Europe 7.88

China 4.75

Brazil 2.05

Nigeria 0.72

How does it feel fellow Brits? How does it feel American citizens?

Pathetic but very predictable result.

1. marinealways24 profile image60
      marinealways24posted 7 years ago in reply to this

I think people should all hold their breath or even stop breathing to save the planet.

1. 0
        ryankettposted 7 years ago in reply to this

And I suppose Americans breathe 10 times more than Brazilians do they marinealways24? Oh, yep, I get it.... I can completely see your logic there hmm

Is it logical to be so emotional in your belief of the planet melting?

1. 0
            ryankettposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Are you aware of the consequences of ozone depletion? I guess that three firsts in environmentally focussed degree modules last year puts me a little ahead of you, or maybe its just because you are old and bitter. That baby in the photo, who is he? Do you care about that babies future?

lol, Really horrible response. Use my child to get me to believe the earth will melt before he grows up. Is that to get me emotional? What firsts in a degree are you talking about? Where did you get this degree?

2. 0
      sandra rinckposted 7 years ago in reply to this

The point is they want to make money.  The cap and trade is a tax on pollution. Yes!  Yet another way to tax people. 

So you pay a fee for exceeding a the pollution limits (whatever they happen to be) and you get taxes for reducing emission.  Either way, the whole thing is bogus.  I am frustrated with it, him and the entire world for that matter.  No offense world but come on!

1. AdsenseStrategies profile image72
        AdsenseStrategiesposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I'm reluctant to get involved in this, but seem to be doing so anyway, but don't taxes go into things like *public* services and deficit reduction? Anyway, it's just a passing comment, I'm really not in the frame of mind to analyze any of this, but I'm pretty sure Obama doesn't get to *keep* revenues collected for *himself*...

Now if he were the former head of Halliburton... but I digress (and am not American, anyway, so may elect to keep my freakin' nose out; God knows we have enough idiots in goverment in Canada to keep ourselves busy...)

1. 0

Supposed to but it doesn't happen... ever.  sad

1. AdsenseStrategies profile image72
            AdsenseStrategiesposted 7 years ago in reply to this

What a silly statement (oops, I'm not getting involved... lalalalala)

1. 0

lalalala.  Welcome to Amerika. big_smile

2. jenblacksheep profile image84
    jenblacksheepposted 7 years ago

I don't understand why people think that money can solve everything. How can giving a lot of money ever make it ok to continue having high emissions? It's not like the money exists! It's just a load of 000s on a computer. We can't line up a load of bills and make a new money-layer around the world.
    Why isnt this obvious?
    Who does the money even go to anyway?

The money goes to the politicians.

working