Selective Service?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (29 posts)
  1. livewithrichard profile image72
    livewithrichardposted 14 years ago

Lately, every time I get in the car and turn on the radio I hear a commercial for the selective service informing that males must resister within 30 days of their 18th birthday or face a $250,000 fine, loss of privileges such as a drivers license, getting federal jobs or loans, and even imprisonment.  Even "undocumented" and immigrant males must register.

I registered the day after I turned 18, to be put in a pool for a draft if it were ever to come.  My question is:  Why are females excluded from registering for the selective service?

1. rhamson profile image71
      rhamsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Because the selective service drafts for combat roles that women are exempt from.  Obama wants to open it up to women while McCain wants it to remain the same. Here is a link:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08287/91 … ctions.xml

1. Mitch Rapp profile image60
        Mitch Rappposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Why take the best of what women are and place it into a combat situation? Men, especially those at the age of 18 are full of testosterone and are perfect for training to become warriors.

Woo Hoo you said it now.  I am waiting for some of our females to respond to that.

1. profile image0
            PrettyPantherposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Okay, I'll bite.  :-)

I actually agree that men are better suited to fight and testosterone-driven young men are more easily persuaded to become warriors.  However, that doesn't make it "fair" for only men to die in combat.

livewithrichardposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You're right but it's not fair for anyone to have to die in combat. However, the ones that do are volunteers. In reality these volunteers are professionals at what they do. They're not pushed through basic training and sent directly to combat. They go through basic training then specialized training and they continue to train throughout the military career.

The need for a draft is ridiculous because it would undermine the makeup of the military by replacing trained professionals that want to be in the military with individuals that do not want to be in the military.  Male or female, the selective service is a waste of funding.

1. profile image0
                PrettyPantherposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I used to think like you do regarding the draft.  However, what I've seen is that these "professionals" you refer to are often disadvantaged young men and women with few opportunities who join the military as a way to make a living, not because it is their true calling.  Someone said it earlier: war is perpetrated by the rich and fought by the poor.

What I have seen, and I was in the Army, is that yes many are disadvantaged youths with limited civilian options when they join. We didn't have our mommy's and daddy's to pay for college and the military provided an excellent opportunity to not only get first hand practical experience in just about any field of knowledge but also provide us the money to advance our education outside of the military through GI Bills and College Funds.

In a draft, I can see how your saying could be true but in reality war is not fought by the poor its fought by the proud. The military can provide a tremendous opportunity for the disadvantage as well as the troubled. It provides discipline, not by just following orders, by teaching us to focus, be selfless, find courage where there would be fear. If the media would stay out of the play by play of war then the soldiers there would never have to hear or see their morality being questioned on all levels causing them to lose focus.

But I digress, this thread is about the necessity for a selective service and the exclusion of females from it, not the necessity for a well trained volunteer military. smile

Let me first thank you for your service to our country and I am truly grateful you have lived through it to tell.

My beef is with the way this government has operated the last few wars or so as a sanitary operation where the disadvantaged whether for poverty or education or whatever reasons the government has used this to their advantage.  The rich and snot nosed kids that are terrified of war and personal injury are allowed to live their lives devoid of the details of death and injury because of their station.  Are we not ALL Americans?  Why are a priveledged group allowed to live their lives unfettered by the reality of these wars?  Why is it that the lives of the ones that fight these wars so easily dismissed?  This is a great diservice to the youth of our country and wreaks of a class distinction that makes me sick.

I meant this in no way to demean or lessen your service and the good things you take away from your experience.  It is a testament to your patriotism and character that you did that for your country.

2. profile image0
              cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

three letters: PMS wink

i think women should have to man up just like the men. we are equal, are we not?

Fair? Is that what you want fairness in dying for your Country? Are we equal? We are equal in all things that we should be equal in. In battle you would need a little less understanding of the enemy and a lot more ferocity!

2. profile image0
            sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Do you suppose men and women would feel safer with women on the front line? 

I was in the Navy, I lead a lot of things but I was a horrible shooter.  I was pretty certain only an idiot would put me in the front line. 

Not to say that there aren't women that are very good sharp shooters and can kick some male butt too but I am not equal to a man in regards to physical strength.  I don't want to be treated like I am either but if a woman wants to be there to protect people, then let them do that... of course I would think these woman could kick my butt too so...

Besides if both men and woman were required to fight when you are called to do so, who would take care of the kids if both are sent off to fight?

If you had to choose who goes, who would you pick?  I am sure in the household that it would probably come down to who is most capable of surviving. 

Or maybe I am a 'man-izer' and appreciate a man because of his strength and for the most part, (so I believe) their role in protecting woman and children. 

Of course when it comes to the home, I make the calls. lol smile

2. cheaptrick profile image74
          cheaptrickposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is not a solicitation.
          Please read my Hub on the "beautiful" country.
          I would shoot my kid in the foot before I let him go...

Hmmm, I'm not sure if I should condemn you or commend you, let me think about this.

2. tobey100 profile image61
      tobey100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

A form or political correctness.  Females may join the military but God forbid we hint at making their service mandatory.

Agreed.  I was in the Army in the late 80's and early 90's in the medical field. We had plenty of females that were equally qualified as me but were refused the opportunity to compete for certain performance related services. I competed in and was rewarded with an Expert Field Medical Badge (EFMB)for proving my expertise in combat related exercises. At the time females couldn't even compete. The females that had my training were only assigned to hospitals and medical centers and would never step foot in combat.  Not sure how the job is today.

On selective service, the last time a draft bill went in front of congress was in 2003 and it was unanimously defeated. The author of the bill even voted against it. So why then do we continue to fund an agency of this government that will never be used and one that hasn't been used since 1973?

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79
        Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It is not PC, it is the complete opposite. Most women would want to be treated the same as the men. If all women were included in a draft some would be complaining that that was PC. Many people use PC to describe anything they are against.

1. Mikel G Roberts profile image75
          Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

PC?

Politically Correct

1. Mikel G Roberts profile image75

TY

3. Mikel G Roberts profile image75

I agree the time has come.

2. Oona Seckar profile image61
    Oona Seckarposted 14 years ago

Well, it does seem quite unfair, but more to the guys than the gals.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

I agree, I do not support any draft of men or women.

I think if everyone including the congress' children were drafted we would be a lot more careful about these wars they perpetrate.  Draft everyone between a certain age and become responsible and involved in the sanitary wars we have the poor fighting for us.

Maybe then the diplomacy might have more weight and purpose.

4. LaVieja profile image60
    LaViejaposted 14 years ago

I don't think anyone should be forced to join the military. I didn't realise it was compulsory in the States - it isn't in England. In any case, aside from that I think that both men and women should be allowed to apply, and both should be treated equally should they be accepted. The value of a human life is the same regardless of whether you are male or female. Isn't it?

If wars are to be fought with hired guns it undermines the moral conscience of the masters it serves.  It is far too antiseptic an atmosphere to gain any measure of cost to human life when the ones doing the fighting are not felt of as friends and family by the whole population and more like a casualty of the machine.

The popular phrasing of the Army as being a volunteer operation belies the fact that we pay these people and give them benefits as well.  Mind you that does not undermine the fact that they put their lives on the line for their country  but it is not a totally humanitarian thing either.  You will have a greater appreciation of the cost when it is yourself and not someone who else who does the dirty work for you.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)