jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Sexual Crime

1. theirishobserver. profile image59
    theirishobserver.posted 7 years ago

Can sexual crime be considered a private/family matter as suggested by Sinn Fein President, Gerry Adams

2. profile image0
    Audreveaposted 7 years ago

When did he say that? ... what exactly did he say? We might be missing some context.

3. theirishobserver. profile image59
    theirishobserver.posted 7 years ago

Gerry Adams is the President of Sinn Fein (political party in northern Ireland) it has been revealed by his niece (Aine) that he knew that his brother Liam had sexually abused Aine and he made no effort to contact the police, in fact he helped his brother to cover his tracks, Gerry Adams was also forced to admit that his father Gerry Snr had abused his own sibblings, Gerry Adams told the media that these were private/family matters and it was not his duty to inform the police or social services....

4. profile image0
    Audreveaposted 7 years ago

Oh - well I don't agree with him, but I guess it's natural that a family would prefer to keep their business out of the public eye. I thought he meant in general - as in the family of the attacker should sort it out with the family of the victim.

I hadn't heard this story before. Will have to do some googling.

Any crime should be reported, but people do cover for family members and you can understand the motivation.

working