I Am So Irritated !!!!!! Stop The Media Enough About Haiti Please!!!!

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 64 discussions (248 posts)
  1. AEvans profile image72
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

I clearly understand that Haiti had a major Earthquake which has taken hundreds if not thousands of lives. New Orleans is still recovering, has anyone visited there recently? I understand death and the pain, but what I am not understanding is why we have to listen to it all day on television. Why are they asking millions of Americans to give money when half of the households only have either one income or none ? We have given 100 million dollars, where in the World did this come from? In the U.S. alone unemployment is at a record high, more food stamps are given out, people are committing suicide because they are still either losing their homes or being evicted from there rentals. Banks are still not loaning money and have decided that there CEO'S should get large bonuses. I also understand that OBAMA is demanding that the banks should re-pay, but here we go again, we the tax payers have to pay for all of this, we are bleeding in the U.S. , Australia is suffering all around the globe our governments are digging deep into there pockets and pulling out from where? There bottoms? I see Madonna donated $250,000 how much has she donated to the U.S.? We have poor, homeless, starving human beings with and without children, how about giving to the food banks in the U.S.? I am mad and I believe others should be too! Stop sugar coating and speak out!

1. profile image0
      zampanoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah ! Afterall, they're all blacks...
      nurse...

AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

After all my husband is black do you not care for other races? He is educated and works his butt off anything else derogatory you would like to say based on my viewpoint? Did you help Katrina vicitms? Black? White? Asain? We did do I detect something that upsets you? Please speak out because you certainly cannot pull the race card on me. smile

1. profile image0

maybe I cannot pull that card as you say. And I'm not glad about that. But you left it there anyway to be pulled.
          What upsets me most is the fact that you don't talk like a nurse. What you said was as vulgar as what I did.

1. Mitch Rapp profile image60
            Mitch Rappposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No she didn't you just didn't have anything worthy to say!

1. profile image0

Maybe. But it came straight out of the reading.
              The response was adequately modulated.

No, you just projected your thoughts onto her!

1. profile image0

And what do you think we're doing here ?
                  Posting, projecting... what are you playing at ?
                  Are you another rhetoricist ?
                  This is a public forum.
                  If you don't want responses you just don't post.
                  I can admit people to be reactionnary. It's human.

You projected your own racist thoughts onto her, was that really that hard to understand...really?

2. AEvans profile image72

Honey I am a nurse and what amazes me is that if I am irritated I am not allowed to be expressive. I rarely am expressive but I am also upset. Through our doors comes the poor, the starving people of the UNITED STATED of AMERICA. The food banks are empty and when you come home from work you tire of hearing about Haiti. I understand that people are suffering and there are dead, but do you understand that we the U.S. is broke? Where is all of this money coming from? The taxpayers all of us are always giving but when does our government begin to help there own people? How can they ask us for a penny when people cannot even put food on the table? Keep there electricity on or put clothes on ther families backs? That is why I am irritated. I am very compassionate but I see AMERICANS suffering everyday, there is only one of me and it hurts my heart.

2. prettydarkhorse profile image62
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

AEvans, I understand you, but then if you see a child dying because of hunger and they have to beg for money just to eat, for a problem that they didnt created, they were born into this world without a choice because of their parents condition too, a little help is ok,

Yes I came from a developing country and the much of lifes amenities is not experienced by many, we should really help them, by far we are still very blessed here,

we are still thankful we are far at the tip of the best quality of life comparing to the many poor nations,

half of the earthquake victims are below 21 years old, children

3. Chef Jeff profile image60
      Chef Jeffposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am curious about why banks don't lend money has anything to do with feeling sorrow for the situation & people in Haiti?  Part of, but not all the problems there have been going on for a long time, and the poverty of that nation definitely hurt relief internal efforts after this earthquake.

I even heard Limbaugh last night complaining that Obama took three days to respond to the Detroit attempted aircraft bombing, but was out immediately about Haiti? Did he ever complain about Bush ignoring Katrina, or taking six days to make a short, nearly incoherent message about the shoe bomber Richard Reed after that?  If you complain about one being slow, shouldn't you have a track record of complaining about all elected officials who are slow to respond?

Bleeding hearts? 

Who does not feel pity and sorrow when possibly 100,000 people lost their lives in a natural disaster? As for Katrina, as bad as the federal and state relief effort was, at least there were government agencies that were there to try to help out.  FEMA, badly run, tried and failed, but at least tried. 

Disasters here? 

Governors & presidents immediately declare disaster areas and funds are forwarded to help out.  Name me one major disaster in the U.S. inthe past 50 years that was not offered Federal Disater funds?  We have the money & capacity to do that for ourselves.  For whatever reason, Haiti has no funds, no wealth to do even this simple thing for itself.

Where was the U.N. during Katrina? The offer of help was turned down by our government at that time.

Has there been a lot of coverage about Haiti after the earthquake?  Yes, there has been.  Much more than there was before.  Still, I do not feel deprived of news about the other things of great importance also going on.

Call me a bleeding heart.  I feel sorry for the situation in Haiti, as well as the people there, and do not feel offended by the amount of news coverage it recieves.  I would certainly rather hear about that than which movie star is dissing who.

Chef Jeff

No one ignored Katrina, except some of the residents of New Orleans.

4. DogSiDaed profile image60
      DogSiDaedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Deaths:
      Katrina: around 1,836
      Haiti: 50,000 at nearest estimate, possibly higher.

Not to mention all the extra homeless. These two disasters do not compare, though both are tragic sad

5. rhamson profile image70
      rhamsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Methinks you draw too much into the issue. Don't confuse the media circus for much more than it is.  The news media wants to grab your attention with the most news and the fastest.  The advertisers are at stake and they want to exploit it as much as they can.  Don't you think the networks traveling reporters can do the reporting without having the anchor there? More dramatic this way and it could be a career changer for some.

It is a government practice to ask for more money than they need.  If they get too much than somebody gets paid with the overage.  This has been going on forever.

I don't wish to seam callous because there is some real tragedy going on there.  Can you imagine losing family members and then having to sleep on the streets?  God forbid if you are buried under some rubble and no one knows where you are.

6. MrCartier profile image59
      MrCartierposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This thread is disgusting, and some of the people on it should be ashamed. Aevans, Nelle Hoxie, I am particularly dissapointed with both of you. Nelle, I would suggest considering donating a small proportion of that $7500 you earnt on her last year. Perhaps you could at least admit that you are very wrong.

Katrina had a death toll of 1,836. This Haiti tragedy could have a death toll which exceeds 100,000. Many of these victims are children. Those that are there have no means of leaving the island, whilst those that were fleeing New Orleans had the choice of any one of 50 US states. Are you proposing that the residents of Haiti are allowed to enter the US to flee the destruction?

Your post is error ridden throughout. Allies (including the EU and the UN) offered $845m in cash and oil for Katrina, with the idea that the oil would be sold by America. Or their own supplies used in such a manner. Most of the aid then went unused, by your government, including $400m worth of oil. That was unused out of choice. Of the aid which was pledged, much of these offers were later withdrawn when it became apparent that much of the burdeon was placed on international aid groups and charities. All of this withdrawn cash was redirected to these groups, including the Red Cross which got a large bulk. Of the money which remained pledged, most of it was held up for months by red tape and bureaucratic nonesense. About $30m of it simply 'dissapeared'. Thats right, corrupt Americans taking the cash for themselves.

The aftermath of the Katrina tragedy was broadcast on UK televisions on a daily basis, the BBC set up a donation line, I donated £500. That was $1000 at the time. The Washington Post states: "In addition, valuable supplies and services -- such as cellphone systems, medicine and cruise ships -- were delayed or declined because the government could not handle them. In some cases, supplies were wasted." It also states "Administration officials acknowledged in February 2006 that they were ill prepared to coordinate and distribute foreign aid and that only about half the $126 million received had been put to use."

Lets look at more Washington Post quotes:-

"In one exchange, State Department officials anguished over whether to tell Italy that its shipments of medicine, gauze and other medical supplies spoiled in the elements for weeks after Katrina's landfall on Aug. 29, 2005, and were destroyed. "Tell them we blew it," one disgusted official wrote. But she hedged: "The flip side is just to dispose of it and not come clean. I could be persuaded."

"In another instance, the Department of Homeland Security accepted an offer from Greece on Sept. 3, 2005, to dispatch two cruise ships that could be used free as hotels or hospitals for displaced residents. The deal was rescinded Sept. 15 after it became clear a ship would not arrive before Oct. 10. The U.S. eventually paid $249 million to use Carnival Cruise Lines vessels."

"And while television sets worldwide showed images of New Orleans residents begging to be rescued from rooftops as floodwaters rose, U.S. officials turned down countless offers of allied troops and search-and-rescue teams. The most common responses: "sent letter of thanks" and "will keep offer on hand," the new documents show."

"Overall, the United States declined 54 of 77 recorded aid offers from three of its staunchest allies: Canada, Britain and Israel, according to a 40-page State Department table of the offers that had been received as of January 2006."

"In a statement, State Department spokesman Tom Casey said that the U.S. government sincerely appreciated support from around the world and that Katrina had proved to be "a unique event in many ways."

"The biggest gifts were from the United Arab Emirates, $100 million; China and Bahrain, $5 million each; South Korea, $3.8 million; and Taiwan, $2 million. Bader Bin Saeed, spokesman for the Emirates Embassy in Washington, said that in future disasters, "the UAE would not hesitate to help other countries, whether the U.S. or any other state, in humanitarian efforts."

Kuwait, which made the largest offer, pledged $100 million in cash and $400 million in oil. But the Kuwaitis eventually gave their money to two private groups: $25 million to the Bush-Clinton Katrina Fund, a project of the former presidents, and another $25 million to the American Red Cross in February 2006. They still plan to contribute another $50 million, said the Kuwaiti ambassador to the United States, Salem Abdullah al-Jaber al-Sabah.

"It was based on my government's assessment of the fastest way to get money to the people that needed it," he said. "The Red Cross was on the ground and action-oriented."

In the White House's February 2006 Katrina report, U.S. officials said Kuwait's $400 million oil donation was to be sold for cash. Sabah said it was an in-kind pledge made when it appeared that U.S. refining capacity was devastated and that the American public would need fuel. 

A lot of the money taken went to MISSISIPPI and LOUISANA!!!!!

Maybe you will be suprised when I sign off which this, it is already clear that me and AEvans do not agree on much, but Nelle.... how could you be so cold hearted? I am just shocked.

Ryan Kett.

1. Mrs. Moneypants profile image60
        Mrs. Moneypantsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ryan Kett,
        Extremely well written.  Thank you for your input.

1. tantrum profile image61
          tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

cool

2. blue dog profile image60
        blue dogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

thank you, ryan.

but really, based on what she's presented, it's not shocking at all.

3. Sara Tonyn profile image61
        Sara Tonynposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Bravo. Well said.

7. thebolesfamily profile image73
      thebolesfamilyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for expressing what I'm sure a lot of people are thinking, but are too afraid to say.

8. NotMyself profile image59
      NotMyselfposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree in a sense of what you are speaking, I live in New Orleans and for the lower portions of the community--even along the Gulf Coast Mississippi--much as not changed.  Brad Pitt and his developers have been here for a long time and are making marked improvement here.  The city is 1/2 of what it once was...but it is improving. It is getting better here everyday! I do not like politics--but we all have to do what we can for each other.  One day it will not just be his, hers or theirs--I am waiting for the day when 'we' can work together and stop being divided.

United we stand--divided we fall.

9. GlstngRosePetals profile image68
      GlstngRosePetalsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

aevans: I totally agree with you... Our own country is suffering and yes people are losing there homes left and right..I'm sorry people on here are bashing you for your opinion and how you feel about what's going on in our own country, but see the probleme is the media always shows devastation like an earth quake, or a sunomi, etc. they don't show people blowing there brains out because they lost there home, they don't show american children in the street starving with there ribs showing...NO NO NO not this country our country has to hide it's shame on what were doing to our own people, we have to look good for other countries cause America is suppose to be better and more powerfull, when actually were just as weak...

1. MrCartier profile image59

Do they have this in your country right now? Or are you just struggling to pay your mobile phone bill?

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/985/47114893bodiesap766.jpg

1. GlstngRosePetals profile image68
          GlstngRosePetalsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No I am not struggling to pay anything! No they don't have it in our Country right now but do you remember 09/11? How about the SFO earthquake? Did anyone come rushing to our aid to dig out our people? Not that I recall!

10. Friendlyword profile image60
      Friendlywordposted 14 years agoin reply to this

OK! I'm going to speak out! AEvans I think you are a very good person. But you have lost your way! Haiti is on the news 24 hours a day, and people are giving all the money they can because they can not be there in Haiti helping to dig out people that are BURIED ALIVE right now as we speak. If I only see one peoson freed from the rubble in the next few days; it will be well worth the money and attention I gave to Haiti. I think you are just not aware of the scale of this tragedy. I think you will change your mind the more you learn about what is happening in Haiti. God Bless your sweet heart.

11. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

you just watch a lot of tv or something. i haven't seen a single "give to Haiti" ad. so you don't want to help, good for you! no one's holding a gun to your head.

gosh, i really feel sorry for you, AE, having to be subjected to ads to help the starving, displaced and dying Haitians on tv. roll

then again, i suppose it's better than, you know, starving, being displaced or losing a loved one yourself.

I apologized early today on this thread and being displaced we were , losing a loved one? My husband and mother are dying of cancer. I lost my father a few years back maybe you  have not read some of my hubs. As for giving I already commented on that to look at page 10 or 11 I believe. $ 200.00 clothes, housing Katrina victims and giving during the Tsunami please read the entire thread.  So read the entire thread before you comment, that has always what I have been asked to do. Your sarcasm is not necessary. Just like you I was entitled to my opinion and just like you I can chose what I wish to feel, further more I am asking to close this thread of course because it is mine and that is my choice.

1. Friendlyword profile image60
          Friendlywordposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Closing this tread is a very good Idea! How does that work? I wanted to close down a tread I started, the attacks on me got really bad. Haiti is an ongoing situation that is only going to get worse. It's too early to get tired of seeing it or hearing about it. Good luck to you AEvans.

When you wish to close the thread hit the report button or e-mail team hubpages they will shut it down, I have put in my request and I am certain that it will be closed.

12. wsp2469 profile image60
      wsp2469posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Obviously, some people are very influenced by the media.
      That and perhaps they are not aware of how f*cked up our own backyard is.
      We DO need to take care of our own but that is NOT a hot topic for the media at the moment and anyone who just takes in the latest and biggest story and pays no attention to daily event here would not understand your outrage.
      It's sad but true.
      People are not aware of the scale of our OWN tragedies.  WE have lives in danger here, too, but it's not on TV every day and night.

I agree just recently a man took his life because he had no job, no where to go, lost everything and was being evicted. They found his body with a gun shot wound to the head. How sad? This is what we hear in our state everyday someone is always committing suicide because of the recession. It is so depressing and sad. sad

13. theman6007 profile image60
      theman6007posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Theman6007 is here to tell you that what you hear about a reccession is just an illusion.If you don't belive me just
      look up in to the sky and you will see plenty of edible birds
        The oceans are filled with fish,wild life is in abundance.
        Untouched land stretches from coast to coast.However people have been made to think that paper money is real,and you can't
      live with out it.No!there is no such a thing as a reccession,but
      there is a such thing as human sacrifice.We have been spoiled
      with luxury goods and now when we lose those artificial devices
      many of us think that life is over.Things will happen that will
      make us do some real soul searching.I am an African American,and I have enough sence to know that Mr.Obama is not the savior.A friend gave me some newspapers by Louis Farrakhan,
      I through them in the trash can,because I know the plight of dark skinned people around the world.You see we all need spiritual healing in order for all of us to move forward.

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Cagsil goes over to AEvans and gives her a HUGE *HUG*, and tries to ease her hostility. lol lol lol

I am mad! lololo yes I have a naughty side too! lololo big_smile

3. Mitch Rapp profile image60
    Mitch Rappposted 14 years ago

I'm sure the bleeding hearts on this site are gonna love this. To them it amounts to hate speech.

1. tobey100 profile image59
      tobey100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, consider this hate speech.  Enough!  Am I the only one that notices, these little runt nations constantly trash the US but let somethin' bad happen and its "You must provide assistance".  GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!

4. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Pretending to be THE World leader has its downsides. smile

Who is the world leader?

1. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You guys are pretending to be, at least for the last few dozen years smile

I don't see anyone else stepping up. I'm all for the US getting out of the savior business.

1. Misha profile image63

So far there are too few people thinking the same way to see any significant change in your foreign policy...

2. AdsenseStrategies profile image63
            AdsenseStrategiesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Brazil has pledged more than the US. The UK has also pledged a hundred million, Australia 89 million... http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog … -donations
            (Whoever wrote this article seems to have a problem with runanaway zeros! The point is that the US is not at all the only country to be sending money)

2. profile image0
          Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have resigned as world leader, who want their country to be in charge next?

1. Misha profile image63

IDK Nelle, definitely not me, been there done that LOL

5. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

AEvans I'm with you. I'm tired of people and the media telling me how I should feel and what I should do with MY money. I'm tired of rich people and rich companies telling me I should donate to Haiti. Let the rich bankers on Wall Street send ALL of their bonuses.

I'm working on my taxes right now, and I pay a large amount in taxes. I pay a huge amount of money for health care insurance, out of pocket expenses and supporting local education through property taxes. We won't even talk about sales taxes. And I consider that to make me a responsible human being practicing "Personal Responsibility".

I'm really furious that true health care reform is TOO EXPENSIVE, so Americans will die of inadequate health care - but we'll send hundreds of millions of dollars arond the world to countries too corrupt, lazy or stupid to invest in themselves - because eventually the American taxpayer picks up the bill. Through the UN or emergency aidor whatever.

I don't need hugs to ease my hostility from anyone. And I don't believe AEvans and I are the only ones to feel this way.

And please don't tell me to pray for Haiti again to day. I think that has what has really gotten me the most angry. But at least praying doesn't cost anything.

1. Akhomesteader profile image73
      Akhomesteaderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That would be OK except most of that is our money to(bail out). (<smile

I am glad that someone agrees because I am certainly getting my batooty chewed on this one!

6. greg austin profile image64
    greg austinposted 14 years ago

Wow.  You are one angry woman.
    I don't think you have really understood the devastation that has happened there.  Or perhaps, you do understand but just don't give a shit.  I'm not sure which situation would reflect more poorly on you.  Shame on you in any event.

1. Misha profile image63

Judge not lest you be judged...

7. blue dog profile image60
    blue dogposted 14 years ago

maybe turn off the tv and/or the radio if you don't like what you're seeing or hearing.

8. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

There are a lot of hungry, sick, and homeless children in this country. I have no problem with helping them - first.

My television has been turned off.

1. h.a.borcich profile image62
      h.a.borcichposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are not alone in this thought. We need to take care of our own first. Holly smile

1. profile image0

Now, that's a good christian.
        Good charity begins with oneself.

1. profile image0

I pay my own way and then some. I believe in Universal Health Care for everyone in the US. I believe in fantastic education in Massachusetts. I believe in a clean environment. All very expensive and I'm willing to pay for them. But don't ask me to pay for the whole world, because that's a budget buster. Yes I have priorities as we all have do or we will bankrupt this country.

I've never pretended to be a Christian. It amazes me the way so many people on this forum can't have a debate on anything whithout bringing their religion into it.

2. h.a.borcich profile image62

hmmm, You think I should send all my charity across the ocean rather than supplementing a homeless family in my town? And that makes me a bad christian?
          Oh I hope you clear this up for me smile Holly

1. profile image0

I really hope that facts make a fool out of what I said.
            I really do.

2. greg austin profile image64
        greg austinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And who exactly, are "our own"?  How do people qualify to be cared for first?  Should Americans only care for Americans (that are actually in the US)? Do you need to be white?  Should 5th generation Americans get cared for before 1st generation Americans?  Who exactly are "our own"?

By the way, there are tens of thousands of Americans in Haiti right now.  Loads are dead and loads need help.  Do they still qualify as "our own" or did they lose "our own" status due to the folly of their foolish travel?

How about caring for those with the greatest need first?  Ya, that makes sense to me.

Then do it! I doubt you have sent a dime to Haiti or anywhere else!

2. profile image0

Wow, talk about misrepresenting my statement. I believe in helping those in need in my country first. I said nothing about length of residence or race. I used the example of "hungry, sick and homeless children."

3. h.a.borcich profile image62

I give to charities in Haiti - have for years. As a matter of fact, a group of volunteers I help support were in Florida en route when the earth quake happened.

If we ensured the needs in our own country were met then we would have an entire nation in a position to reach more of the world.

I know that I give as generously as I can to many charities. Didn't know I needed to clear it with you first. Holly smile

1. h.a.borcich profile image62

Some of my donations for Haiti were en route to Haiti even before the earthquake. For anyone to be judging we aren't doing enough is unbelievable. People everywhere are suffering and I have given all I have. For that all this is nessessary?

9. tantrum profile image61
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

I love to see what 'disasters' turn people in. yikes
    Very interesting ! mad
    thanks !!

Turn off your TVs
    The best thing selfish people can do.

1. profile image0

Forum talk is cheap. How much have you or your country sent to Haiti.

Google it !
        Argentina is among  the first countries to help

2. Misha profile image63

Tantrum, she does not deserve it. Julianna is one of the most altruistic people around - but things ARE that bad in US now...

I dont think she is asking anyone to apologize for her, best thing you can do with tantrum is ignore her.

1. Misha profile image63

I am not apologizing, I am clarifying the position. And Tantrum is pretty reasonable smile

Whatever you say

2. tantrum profile image61

I didn't point out Julianna.
            You did ! what's your problem ????????

1. Misha profile image63

Chill smile I could have worded it better probably. She started the thread, and you were attacking her side of the story. smile

*outta here, need to do some babysitting*

Yes ,you should ! when there are other people here saying that they turned off their TV.
                I have been civil enough  not to name anybody.
                It would have been better if it was kept that way

I wasn't pointing out anybody!
        But your comment left me thinking....
        Why point out Julianna? which is a friend, by the way

So ???
          What's your answer ??

10. profile image0
    zampanoposted 14 years ago

Indeed. What is Cuba doing ?
    America's implication is not a bad thing at all.
    It is a low budget communication operation, that should not be missed.
    It helps a lot to change the classic image of the overweight American in a 4 wheel drive.
    I assure you. This operation is good for you (like Guiness too hehehe)
    For Europeans also.
    But you are just a few hundred miles from them. So ?
    It's your play.
    I'm sure Obama would have reacted very differently from Bush if he was in charge when you had that hurrycane in Louisianne.

1. Misha profile image63

Talking about delusions LOL

2. WriteAngled profile image75
      WriteAngledposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"“The Cuban medical brigade providing services in Port-au-Prince has already established a new hospital camp next to the one that was brought down by the earthquake.”

By Wednesday morning, “more than 800 patients had already been provided medical care including some operations.”

The TV news reported that an additional medical brigade from Cuba will arrive soon in Haiti, equipped with the medicines, clothes, food, saline solution and plasma bags needed for such emergency situations.

Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez said Wednesday helping Haiti was a priority for Cuba “following a devastating earthquake that caused huge human and material loss in that country.” "

http://www.havanatimes.org/?p=18130

11. Red_Hot_Dave profile image60
    Red_Hot_Daveposted 14 years ago

The ignorance in this topic is quite something.

New Orleans got lots of internation aid, so don't even play that card.

Yes you should help Haiti. They're humans and it makes no difference where anybody is from. You're the closest country in a position to help and don't be too quick to forgot how American multinationals have been plundering wealth from across the globe for decades.

Perhaps it's time to give something back.

So you feel that I am being ignorant? Let me see I have given thousands of dollars to others and when I see our own Country struggling, children starvind, food banks without food and I cannot fill them up on my own then I am allowed to be irritated. Go to the food banks and see what is happening before you get upset, it will sadden yuor heart to see our starving children too!

It won't sadden them, America is the great evil, until they need us!

2. profile image0

It amazes me how many people don't consider the United States poor to be worthy of help. But I do, and that's where my energy and discretionary charity dollars will go.

Now I have to ban myself from the forums, so I can go back to writing product hubs so I can afford to pay for all of this.

3. Red_Hot_Dave profile image60
        Red_Hot_Daveposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I do feel you're being ignorant. You're suggesting that the American people should take priority.

Those people are in dire need through no fault of their own. They've suffered years of oppression and corrupt governments. At least in America you have the opportunity to educate and work yourself of of poverty.

Americans should take priority, just because you have allowed governments to enslave you doesn't mean we should!

1. Red_Hot_Dave profile image60

Who have I been enslaved by exactly?

Your thoughts! Must be torture too.

Ooooh, philosophical. Care to elaborate?

No

Then perhaps you can keep your mindless drivel to yourself?

Sweety, Do you believe every AMERICAN is wealthy? Many of our own people are struggling and suffering, our children are starving to. Yes you can get an education here but you also have to pay for that. Our government is broke! But they keep giving out money, our AMERICANS are without jobs so what good is the educaction for some? They are struggling to put food on there own tables so read the truth about what is happening here before you call someone ignorant. I do feel bad for you wherever you are but AMERICA is not what it used to be.

Don't patronise me, sweety. I don't believe every American is wealthy. I'm fully aware of the scale of povery in America, and it disgusts me that it can happen in a developed nation.

But, you're not alone and the people of Haiti need you. Would you be comfortable with a couple fo extra hundred thousend dying on your door step when you're in a position to help?

3. h.a.borcich profile image62

True it is no fault of their own, I feel for them. I just also feel for the homeless who will freeze to death today on the streets in America, too. When should we help them? Those opportunities you think are readily available to every American aren't.

You should help them too and they should have been helped more when you had the chance.

I don't know how social security works over the pond, but in England most people are homeless through choice. There are safely nets to ensure you don't end up on the streets.

1. profile image0
              EmpressFelicityposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ummm.... you sure about that?  Unless of course you count relationship breakdown and mental health problems (to name but two) as a "choice".

http://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_i … melessness

Yes, I am sure. I said MOST not ALL. Hostels, housing benefit, social housing?

1. profile image0

If living in social housing is a definition of homelessness then I spent half of my childhood homeless, because I lived in a council house.

Great.  Glad you cleared that one up.

I didn't say living in social housing equates to homelessness. I'm saying it's there, along with hostels and benefits to make sure it doesn't happen. You have to slip through a lot of nets to end up homeless.

2. Mitch Rapp profile image60

Give something back? We haven't given enough already?

It doesn't even compare to what you've taken.

And you aint getting it back either!

Typical American greed. Very quick to forgot who colonised your asses.

And your pretty quick to forget why you don't speak German! We kicked the British out of here long ago and imported Dentists!

Yeah, the RED ARMY is why I don't speak German. You'd know that if you didn't live in a country terrified of communism.

Revisionist history always sells best to the young.

Is that a euphenism for reading a book?

Very clever indeed ! Go on!
                    You're on the right track!
                    lol

3. profile image0

Actually, it's pretty obvious.  If Hitler hadn't been under the delusion that he could conquer Russia, he would have focused more of his resources on invading Britain and we would indeed be speaking German.

2. tobey100 profile image59

Hey Dave.  Want to bet on who you folks are gonna call on when you have your earthquake?  It ain't gonna be the Red Army I can assure ya.

Remind me where the fault line is in England and do try to keep some historical context.

2. tobey100 profile image59

Damn straight Mitch.

12. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

this government and the past government is just trying to maintain lifestyle of all the people here, they have stakes in all the countries in the world, natural resources and all, it is a complex prob inherited by this administration, 100 years old??

sometimes if we are frustrated because of tax etc, just try to look at other countries their taxes are doubled like UK and Aus,

we should also consider that we are not a sole country in this world, US doesnt have all the resources yet consume one third of the resources of the world,

have we really tried to go out and help the children even here  who are starving, what is our definition of starving, eat twice a day, how about once a day??

13. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

there are also 45, 000 americans in HAITI and almost all are unaccounted for

1. profile image0

Now that you live in the US, are you helping your place of birth become a better place?

1. prettydarkhorse profile image62

I am helping the children here, every weekend they come and eat at the house ----- children at the neighborhood, they have families but they drop by here at the house to play and I cooked for them, little ways but it helps too, and then I give to charities back home, little amount only

1. profile image0

That's good to hear, we agree on many things I think.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image62

good, thanks

You don't have to explain to that kind of comments.
          you're far better.

14. tantrum profile image61

lol

Do you hear yourself ,people!!!

lol lol lol
    I laugh if not....

15. aguasilver profile image71
    aguasilverposted 14 years ago

Money and aid will not be a problem in Haiti, when disaster strikes the world always manages to get the resources to fix things up.

The point in question is that the country is a mess and was a mess before the earthquake, and nobody rallied around then.

We have been supporting Haiti street children for years, one little old lady collects cash and sends it directly to some folk in Haiti who care for as many kids as they can. Mainly they look to get them one meal a day.

If the world had thrown a few hundred million dollars into Haiti before the quake, it would still have happened, but maybe the infrastructure would have been better able to deal with the (fewer) casualties.

100 years ago none of us would have even heard about the quake until weeks later, and the Island would have been restoring itself with many fewer people than will survive this time around.

Don't beat yourselves up about this, it's just another Matthew 24 situation and we cannot stop it happening, we only seem to be able to dress the wounds, not cure the disease.

16. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 14 years ago

At least you can turn your TV off!  I'm stuck here with a loud one right on the other side of the wall - and it's on constantly with either Fox News, westerns or football - pity me, and be glad, be glad you have the choice about what you listen to and watch!

17. tantrum profile image61

this is better than a sit com!
    lol

(grabbing some pop corn and a Coke )

lol lol lol

1. profile image0

Fortunately you are present.

lol
        just watching.
        Other people's grudges are so hilarious!
        Not yours. The other side! lol

18. Akhomesteader profile image73
    Akhomesteaderposted 14 years ago

Giving should be because you want to not because your coerced, badgered, or taxed. Those aren't giving they are extortion.

19. Mrs. Moneypants profile image60
    Mrs. Moneypantsposted 14 years ago

Wow, upwards of 50,000 people have been crushed on your doorstep.  America is the closest neighbor.  Try to visualize that.  It's easy dismiss numbers without actually trying to place them in context. Imagine the stench of 50,000 corpses in the tropical sun.

Upwards of 50,000 have been crushed.  Many more are going to die within the next few days if immediate and huge amounts of aid are not forthcoming.

Lots of us grew up in towns with smaller populations than the amount crushed 2 days ago in Haiti.

Obama has promised 100 million in aid.  That is 30 cents per capita.  FIFTY THOUSAND people have been crushed to death and we are quibbling over 30 cents.

20. Bob Ewing profile image65
    Bob Ewingposted 14 years ago

I give locally and raise funds for local causes, mostly hunger/poverty related ones, and am organizing a fund raiser for Haiti.

Thank you Bob Ewing, the world would be a much poorer place were it not for people like you.

I wish that I could donate this time around, but unemployment dictates that I cant right now. I may donate 25% of my January Adsense earnings to whoever is taking donations in the UK for this.

2. Sara Tonyn profile image61
      Sara Tonynposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Kudos to you, Bob. That's the perfect example of how to help multiple areas of need.

3. Ms Chievous profile image66
      Ms Chievousposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Bob,
      I did a hub on charity organizations for Haiti.  I would be glad to include your efforts and a link in my hub. smile

21. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 14 years ago

Tragic situations should not bring about this kind of response. I understand what Julianna is saying but the two situations can not be compared. We as a nation of greed did this to ourselves, Haiti was devastated by a natural disaster. Both situations are sad and both situations need aid, but you can not compare them on any level.

The situation here at home with so many out of work, homeless, hungry is one that can be taken up. There are shelters that accept food, clothing etc. Donate what you can and if you cannot then try to donate some time.

The situation in Haiti is incomprehensible in it's magnitude. The pain and loss is great and they too need help. Again, donate what you can whether it be time, money, whatever.

But really stop B**ching about it. Find a way to help and give back whether it is in your own homeland because America isn't the only one feeling the pinch from the economy. Every freaking body is feeling it or it is helping Haiti at this time.

The news will move on. It's how they get paid. If you can't stand the constant barrage then turn off the TV. If your loved ones are glued to it, put your headphones on and listen to some music. I don't have an answer just get away from it so it doesn't upset you.

I think we all want to help and for someone who comes from a medical background it is hard not to see all of this and not be affected by it. The thing to do is channel that energy into something positive. Set up a drive for your local community. Set up a soup kitchen, offer up your home to a homeless person for the night with a hot shower and meal.

You never know how that good deed may come back to you one day when you yourself might be down on your luck.

1. Sufidreamer profile image80
      Sufidreamerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good post - I pretty much agree with all of that.

I like the last paragraph - Governments, charities and normal folks sent aid to Greece when it was devastated by wildfires. Now, the Greek government and individual Greeks are sending money to Haiti.

Nobody here is bitching about it and Greece is in worse economic shape than the US!

Sorry, Julianna, like Misha, I know that you are a wonderful person, but threads like this do not show you or your country in a good light.

Times are hard but folks are dying out there. Just think - tomorrow it could be San Francisco or Athens.

Hey BD - Long time, no see. How is life treating you? smile

1. BDazzler profile image78
        BDazzlerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey Sufi!  Doing pretty OK ... been working on about a dozen projects and am just flat out snowed under with work ... but I lurk around HP from time to time.

Great to hear that you have work, BD - much better than the alternative. Look forward to meeting up with you and MK for bourbon and cigars, although MK is now a tobacco free zone sad

Ryan - Agree with you about the Americans. I have never been to the US, but I meet a lot of US tourists over here. They are all unfailingly warm, polite and generous - I am not going to let one thread change that opinion smile

Julianna - Hope that you feel better after venting. I always find that hurling abuse at Misha is a good way of calming the nerves big_smile

EDIT: Rebekah - Don't worry. My opinion of the American people and of Julianna has not changed. I am a little disappointed but hope that some good has come out of the thread smile

1. Misha profile image63

LOL Sufi, why do you always leave me covered in food particles? wink

No worries, my Russian friend. As long as you did not spill any vodka, then everything is good cool

2. BDazzler profile image78

I have to admit something ... I've ALSO become a fan of single malt scotch ...

Yes, I am grateful for the work!

2. MrCartier profile image59

The gesture of Greece in offering to take 2 cruise liners out of service to send to Katrina was fantastic, as it really showed thoughtfullness and initiative. The biggest problem was homelessness, so that really went to the root. Dollars wasnt going to solve that short term problem.

As for your point, I live in a city with a population just shy of 200,000 people. I love this city, most of my friends live in this city, and my family too. The idea that we could suffer a tragedy which puts half of that population at risk of a horrific death, and people then begrudging help, just makes me feel a bit sick. Especially when we are talking 33 cents per person. I just smoked a cigarette which cost me almost 50 cents. The idea of not wanting to give up that cigarette, well, I just dont know what to say. I have run out of things to say. America is such a beautiful country, many of the people are beautiful, but somewhere and somehow - many of them have lost something. Not all of them, look at people like Blue Dog, I would let him sleep on my couch, cook him a meal, and pour him a glass of red wine..... thankfully 95% of the people that I have met on my numerous trips to the USA have been like him.

3. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lynn, a very helpful post.
        sufi~ just so you know, I've not heard one another American share the feelings expressed by the OP. people are very involved and donating however they can. Paul Edmondson also has a helpful hub in which people may donate by texting $5.00.
        http://hubpages.com/hub/Donate-to-the-R … Help-Haiti

no one is making anyone donate. people donate because they want to help. how many spent $5.00 at starbucks this week? sad to see this thread. sometimes venting is best done in a journal.

22. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

I agree with you Ryan. I was getting more and more upset reading this thread. Well worth what may happen (if you get my drift)

Yes, the media coverage is over the top. I recall on 9/11 that it was coverage 24/7 for weeks on television.

The tsunami got almost as much coverage. When such a natural disaster hits you can't just say you have to give to your own country first.

And about Katrina...thousands of Canadians went down to help and are still helping the victims. Yes, we also help our own poor but you can't be so insular when a natural disaster of this magnitude hits.

1. Daniel Carter profile image62
      Daniel Carterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree.
      All you have to do is wear their shoes and walk a mile and see how it feels. Point is, this could have happened to any of us. But it happened in Haiti. But what's not to say that it WON'T yet happen to some of us--or even all of us? Then how will we feel? Will we still be counting our pennies from Google Adsense, to pay the IRS, plan on what our next purchase will be, or will we be in such a condition as those who have had to live through the disasters of the tsunami, the Chinese earthquake, Katrina, Haiti and more?

Yes, we all get tired of the hype. But all you have to do is think about what if this happened to me, my loved ones, my friends. Then what?

I check my Adsense pennies everyday, and I am greedy, I want more, more and more. I am a capitalist. I want to be rich, I want a new flatscreen TV, I want a huge comfy sofa, I want to buy expensive designer shirts, I want a nice house, I want a big pension pot. I will never feel bad about wanting those things just so long as I know, deep down, that the most important things in life are priceless. I am due to earn my largest ever Adsense payment this month, 25% more than last month. I will donate everything over my last months earnings, so my growth in January, to the Red Cross for their work in Haiti. Next month, I will worry about my growth again. That basic principle is what I feel is being lost in the US and increasingly in the UK, in fact we dont have to look much further than irresponsible greed for the cause of all of the current problems in the US and the UK......

1. Daniel Carter profile image62
          Daniel Carterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

We all want that. If it's one's only focus in life, then it's not a very well rounded life. The point I was trying to make was about putting all our lofty ambitions for money and "things" aside *temporarily*. That's all.

Which was exactly what I was saying Mr Cartier, my ambition for income growth are being put "aside" in January to help out others. We have the same point, sorry if it seemed as if I was disagreeing with you, I was actually nodding in agreement wink

23. gamergirl profile image84
    gamergirlposted 14 years ago
  24. AEvans profile image72

Let me re-explain myself after reading this thread apparently some are shocked by my emotions, which I can understand. @ Ryankett yes we may have disagreed but never I had I ever disrepsected you on a forum nor will I do such now, you are entitled to your opinions just like I am entitled to mine with respect and not disrespect toward each other. 

@ Many I understand the devastation of HAITI and I know there are 45,000 AMERICANS that are not accounted for, maybe I should redirect this at our government. Where are they getting $100 million dollars to send? I am not saying we should NOT assist they questions I would like answered is as follows:

1. Where is the money coming from?

2. Our Country for ex: Talks about how broke we are, but yet we can come up with $ 100 millon dollars? 

Thank you for bringing to my attention that other Countries assisted us with Katrina, 09/11 I am aware of this and I am not saying nobody came directly to our aid, but how much of that went to re-building or to families? We still hear about the struggles where is that money?

3. I apologize for venting but goodness I am frustrated and I am entitled to my thoughts too! I feel the people's pain and wish I could go over and help them it is a tragedy and no you cannot compare I am merely giving examples of occurrences, I am just wanting answers not arguments, it is a discussion and hatefulness is not necessary. sad

I realize the hype when Katrina happened, The Tsunami etc. but it is depressing and exhausting it does pull at your heart strings and sometimes it is to much for many of us to bare. We have donated as much as we can due to the tragedy, but how much more are all of the Countries going to ask from there own people?

BOTTOM LINE: How are we able to give away that kind of money when we are in a recession? Any Country for that matter? Why do they always ask for more from there own people, when many are bankrupt or barely surviving? Is that really a fair thing to ask?

I did not mean to offend anyone I am just looking for answers, not sarcasm or arrogancy.

Almost every country in the developed world is 'broke'. $100m equates to 33 cents per person in America. That is probably less than you will spend on the electricity you use whilst surfing hubpages for one day. If you cannot spare 33 cents to help ease the suffering of others, then I pity you. I truly do pity you. I donating $50. And I dont even have a job. Shame on you AEvans, shame on you.

1. Misha profile image63

Kudos to you for donating - if this is not an empty talk. On the other hand, demanding others do what you want them to do, and shaming them for not doing what you think they should is quite childish and no, no kudos for that. smile

1. greg austin profile image64

There is no shame in not donating.  People do what they can.  Many people in the US are in a terrible way and simply cannot donate as much as they would like. 

The shame comes from begrudging the monies donated by the government.  Countries are donating b/c it is the right thing to do. It is the right thing to do and there is no reasonable question about that.  The amount is modest and, in fact, will probably go up in the days ahead.  The shame comes from the complaining.  It's like a child complaining that their sibling got a bigger cookie.

I never stated that no donating is a shame, please read the original post and its context. It is a shame that people would begrudge 33 cents, they dont have to donate it from their bank accounts, Obama is donating it for them.

1. greg austin profile image64

MrCartier, I didn't mean to misquote you.  We are on the same page.  Perhaps my writing was clumsy.

Cool it looks like we have the same point, im not asking for people to donate money, I am simply saying that Obamas 33 cents per person is money well spent and shouldnt be begrudged. Kind regards, Ry.

I am not shaming people for not donating, I am not asking for people to donate; but I am ashamed that others can show so little respect and passion for the loss of lives of other innocent people. The fact that Obama has to force donations through the tax sytem is in itself a shame. This thread actually criticised donations, in the form of aid. I understand that your economic ideals would dictate that government intervention is kept to a minimum, and appreciate that, but surely catastrophies such as this are a different matter altogether? Kudos is not needed, I know that I talk for the majority, and for that I am grateful to live on this planet.

1. Misha profile image63

You do shame people Ryan, re-read yourself LOL.

You know as good as me that Julianna is a very nice and helpful person. If she makes a post like this, she does have her reasons. Be it a burnout as David says, or anything else - she does. Get off your high horse, you have no idea what happens in her life, stop judging her. smile

I dont think this needs a response now to be honest. I have said all that needs to be said. AEvans isn't my biggest fan anyway, so its not like I have burnt bridges.

Just for the record we donated $ 200.00 and cleaned out closets and gave it to the Red Cross including blankets, etc. so you I am not ashamed, what I am asking is " Where did our government come up with $ 100 million dollars?" Yes shame on me for starting this thread because it appears that I am not allowed to vent to relieve the frustration, but when I am nice and agree with everyone all is fine. Shame on you for pointing fingers at me ! Again " Where did the $ 100 million dollars come from? I can see coming to the Countries AIDE, I am not MAD about that, I merely want to know why smoke keeps being blown up our butts and when something like this happens which is a TRAGEDY we can pull $ 100 million dollars out of our rumps!Wouldn't have been easier to go the people, then dangle $ 100 million dollars in front of them during a recession? People would have probably given more if they knew our government was being truthful and again they were caught with there pants down! I am not upset with you or anyone else I am just trying to understanding this mess!

Your government has already printed out far in excess of $100m dollars to bail out the banks, money which they are repaying, there you go..... there is $100m. How did you get the trillions of dollars that you spent on fighting a war in Iraq and Afghanistan? Why not calculate just how many $100m you have spent on that war, and then ask yourself whether or not 100,000 potential dead innocent people are worth it. If your state, wherever that is, had earthquakes on this scale..... I would be be happy for the British government to spend 33 cents of my tax on helping you guys out. I wouldnt be too happy to see you on a forum 3 years afterwards denying that my tax money was provided though, which is essentially what you have done when my tax money was offered as help for Katrina.

Since you clarified and pointed out my error I sincerely apologize with regards to Katrina, I will apologize when I make a mistake that is my nature. I believe that $100 million cannot replace lives lost but we as AMERICANS are giving every last dollar we can to our government and I am just wondering like many when the repayment is going to end. Our government should not have been bailing out the banks, etc. they should have been coming to the AIDE of the people thus the frustration of assistance when needed would not have set in.

Thank you for your apology, regarding aid for Katrina. Perhaps if we could agree that the $400m in oil that Kuwait gave for free to the US in 2005 easily covers the $100m that America are spending on helping those in Haiti (with 50 times the potential death toll), then we can all forgive Obama and get on with writing hubs. I do understand the issues in the USA, because things are even worse in the UK, we were the last out of recession. But even in troubled times, when money is tight, we have to realise that there are certain things which are more important than money. And $100m really isn't a lot of money. Perhaps Bill Gates could put his money where his mouth is and donate it on your behalf? When you have a system where just two people hold over $80bn in cash, Buffet and Gates, I think that you need to look deeper at internal affairs to see where things have gone wrong. It is exactly the same in the UK. Many Americans do not realise that we are a carbon copy of the US, in the way that our financial systems work, hence those that say we are the '52nd state'. I am sure that there is wastage which could be cut to pay for moments like this. Legalise Marijuana tomorrow and you will probably make the careers of 500,000 people official for a start! That would pay for things like this.

Obama has also pledged more than $46m to fight the drugs trade in the Caribbean. We all know that the drugs war cannot be won, perhaps that type of expenditure should be criticised over serious humanitarian aid?

We ensured protection for three Kuwaiti oil tankers in the 1980's so in return they gifted the oil, so it doesn't cover the $100M but I can agree with you on this I do not have a problem with giving to other Countries in a time of Crisis as you know Ryan I am not a hateful person what our Country should have been doing is putting X amount of dollars aside for a CRISIS just like this instead of bailing out banks, etc. and taxing the people constantly for the errors then I would not have vented.

2. BDazzler profile image78

Hey Julianna ... wow ... did YOU stir up a hornets nest or WHAT??

I was in my house on the gulf coast when Katrina litterally blew my doors in.  I was in New Orleans as soon as I was allowed.

From this experience, I can tell you that there are two groups of people who will never "Get it".

1. The news people.  A disaster is an opportunity to draw viewers, which means advertising, which means money. They don't report it, they twisit it.  What was on TV, CNN especially, did not reflect reality as I was seeing it unfold.

2. Politicians.  Both sides of the aisle.  Anytime emotions run high, it is an opprotunity to exploit it to increase power and influence.

You know I am not, and never have been a fan of Obama, and he is doing exactly what I thought he would do ... but as far as how he's reacting to Hati, I don't think he can do anything else.

But the news people and the politicians will twist perspective and try to exploit the human suffering and it results in something called "Compassion Burn Out".  When they play on our emotions too much, they overwhelm us with images of devistation without showing any hope.  It is exploitive of us and of the victims of the disaster.

Yes, during Katrina I saw loss, I saw devistation, but I also saw heroic efforts, and great acts of compassion. It was a time of high emotion, both good and bad. 

The news didn't show much of the Mississippi Gulf Coast, it was a different story there.  And still is.

Shalom, my sister.

25. Cris A profile image60
    Cris Aposted 14 years ago

Julliana

I am truly saddened by this as I remember you giving me words of comfort when the Philippines, my country, was devastated by floods last year. Were you thinking the same thoughts? Or were you honest because you know me albeit virtually? I thought kindness doesn't have a face and true charity is not quantifiable. I'm not looking down on you for venting out, but in my opinion it is quite irresponsible of you to have done so for we are talking about lives here. You know, you can always turn a blind eye.

I typed to fast and I am ranting at the American government I do not have issues with giving money in a CRISIS, I am frustrated with our government. As you know all of us are in a recession so it is one thing to give $ 100 million you cannot replace lives, but another to ask us again to dig into our pockets. I dug into mine gave $ 200.00 and clothing, blankets because we cared, but how much more digging are all of us throughout the World supposed to do? Your government, Our government, England etc. Yes it is o.k. to send money it is the people's money , we the taxpayers but when is it o.k. to run advertisements asking for more? When just like your Country, England etc. the people of those Countries to are struggling to make ends meat? I am just frustrated with our government because everyday I see people struggle just like you do and it is overhelming for me. I was just venting and did not read the words that were written it was just venting because I am exhausted.

1. Cris A profile image60
        Cris Aposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's nothing personal. I just thought I'd let you know how reading what you said impacts somebody who has suffered from a natural disaster, smelled death all around him, and benefited from the aid your country sent.

26. Has_aWayWithWords profile image63
    Has_aWayWithWordsposted 14 years ago

Say what you will but I didn't see any other countries over here helping us through hurricane Katrina, I don't recall othr governments bailing us out of the great depression... All I have seen is other governments borrowing more and more and the US forgivin thier debts and Americans paying th price,  do you see gas prices going down because the middle east feels sorry for us? NO  They send car bombs and suicide bombers to kill our troops. Anyway that is my venting for the day

Why not read the thread before slapping your keyboard? My first post on this thread shows that the USA did get foreign aid for Katrina, more than $800m of it. Try to educate yourself about a subject before commenting on it. In fact, if it wasnt for international donations to the Red Cross, the death toll would have been much higher. I donated to Katrina, so why do Americans begrudge donating to Haiti?

2. egiv profile image60
      egivposted 14 years agoin reply to this

They aren't sending car bombs anywhere, they are doing it in their own country. WE SENT THE TROOPS.

27. egiv profile image60
    egivposted 14 years ago

Is this really a thread about people complaining that dying and suffering people are BOTHERING THEM BECAUSE THEY ARE ON TV TOO MUCH??? Are you people serious? Lets see how "irritated" you are when you have no home, your town is destroyed, and have dead family members.

I am sure you will be the first ones to claim moral superiority in the next stupid war the United States cooks up.

28. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

Not that my 2 cents matters.  I think if we are able to give or donate our time to the Red Cross to make up humanitarian relief packages (or other charities) that is great.  It is a devastating tragedy.

Many people in the US are starving and are unemployed and need help too - I guess I believe that everyone does what they can do help.

Financially, we cannot help (as my husband just became employed after being unemployed), but I can donate gently used clothing, it may not be much, but it will help someone.

Peace smile

29. Has_aWayWithWords profile image63

by foreign aid you mean a LOAN,  We still have to pay that back in most cases.

No, in most cases you didnt. The UAE pledged $100m in cash, then withdrew that cash offer after they realised it wasnt being spent effectively. Then then gave $25m each to two charities, one being the American red cross. They certainly werent loaning money to charity. Greece tried to donate two cruise liners, gifted. A DONATION LINE from the BBC in the UK raised almost $10m alone. The UKs $6m was a gift.

Kuwaits $400m in oil was gifted. That alone is an incredible generosity.

I suggest that you read this article

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co … 113_2.html

And perhaps reconsider your blinkered views on society outside of America.

30. Has_aWayWithWords profile image63

They came here frst with thier terrorist efforts

1. egiv profile image60
      egivposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And who are "they?"

"They" are  "Them"

31. Has_aWayWithWords profile image63

I was referring to the terorists that you say arent sending car bombs or suicide bombers...you said that we invded thier countries

What are you on about?

1. Has_aWayWithWords profile image63
        Has_aWayWithWordsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sorry I am not going to go back and find it, it got totally off topic anyway but it is bout 2 pages back if you really are interested

32. Has_aWayWithWords profile image63

as for helping Haiti I am all for it but in the spirit of the original post  enough is enough, the media could invest the money they spent continuously sending people to report on it on helping instead

1. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Someone should take that idea up! Imagine the good publicity? smile

1. Jane@CM profile image61
        Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It actually would make a darn good article!

33. Has_aWayWithWords profile image63

SEND 10 LESS REPORTERS AND 10 MORE DOCTORS   Now there is a thought

Or Bulldozers, Or Helicopters ... I'm with you, too many reporters, too many politicians.

You are sending 10000 troops now apparently, which is fantastic. Kudos to Obama for the fast response.

2. greg austin profile image64

Dudes, please.  The government doesn't send reporters.  You have confused an apple with an orange.

I think you misunderstood me ... Politicians and Reporters are BOTH rotten fruit.

34. Don W profile image82
    Don Wposted 14 years ago

AEvans I think the most common negative reaction from people is that perhaps it was inappropriate to use this particular event to highlight what you find wrong with the economic situation in the US right now.

Your worries and frustrations about what's happening closer to home may be well founded. But perhaps some people felt that expressing them in relation to a calamity of this scale and devastation was insensitive. Perhaps you might recognise this to be the case when you have the benefit of hindsight and are not so tired and frustrated.

35. Has_aWayWithWords profile image63

The bottm line in this is that MAKING people donate is WRONG!! Spending hundreds of thousands if not millions to send reporters and politicians and camera crews is STUPID when transportation and medical help is what is needed. STOP REPORTING IT AND HELP THE PEOPLE

36. aware profile image67
    awareposted 14 years ago

AE . by posting this forum . you painted  a picture of yourself. and its not a pretty one in my eyes.

1. Misha profile image63

Another self appointed judge LOL.

1. profile image0
        Denno66posted 14 years agoin reply to this

What Ellen Degeneres is leaving too? big_smile

1. Misha profile image63

LOL Not that I have any idea who she is smile

It's not the first time for me I am afraid, I had a thread accusing me of getting people banned. I have never reported anything on this site, except spammers, and the only person that can ban somebody is admin. I am now banned for life.

That is sad, Ryan I am ready for a nervous breakdown and yes I am venting I need to stay away from here for awhile and have a lot on my plate. sad
        I still read you Ryan. smile

I do respect you, I really do, as a good hubber with a lot of knowledge and as somebody who is never afraid to voice their opinions. I am sorry to hear about the way that you feel, if you really are close to a nervous breakdown (and trust me, I felt the same 3 months ago) then I am truly sorry for that. I dont know what your situation is, and I hope that you can resolve your issues. Thank you for being so candid. Taking a break from here has done me the world of good, this was my first post for 3 weeks. If you have problems offline, which cannot be solved online, then staying offline until your problems are sorted is certainly the way forward. If your problems are online, and you need somebody to talk honestly to about them, then feel free to drop me a line. I suspect however that you have plenty of friends on here who would probably better serve that purpose. I will leave this thread now, if it is causing you discomfort or anxiety, and we should all let it die. If that is what you want. The only other thing that I will say, with regards to the topic, is that there are probably tens of thousands of people in Haiti now who ARE having a nervous breakdown. Parents of lost children, husbands who have lost wives, wives who have lost husbands. Maybe you can see that this is why we help each other. I can offer to spend time talking to you, if that will help your problem. We cannot offer to talk to thise in Haiti, but government aid is one way in which we can (potentially) make a difference. I will certainly appreciate the efforts of the 10000 American troops who will descent on Haiti shortly to help people out. You should be proud of them too. Best wishes, Ryan.

2. Misha profile image63

And I was guessing what happened to you. Well, we have a saying in Russian - my tongue is my enemy smile

3. AEvans profile image72

You should read the rest of the thread before you paint a picture, there were also apologies and I was venting! I do not care if our Country assists I assisted TOO I am irritated at our government for taxing, taxing, taxing! The unemployment rate is high,  so if you do not think I care I have always cared , I have just reached my breaking point. MMMM try this Lose your house, your car, your husband was told 6 months with his life, mom has stage 4 terminal cancer given a few months. Raising a son on your own, one income household trying to run everyone to appointments, work, maintain and have listen to the news constantly. I know death I see it everyday apparently when others vent it is O.K. but when I vent I am a terrible person! Isn't that a double standard? I have always been kind-hearted, giving, caring, thoughtful, energetic, good listener etc. So paint what picture? A person on the verge of a nervous breakdown? I still gave to HAITI, so what kind of picture is that? A dark sinister one? Highly unlikely. I apologize for venting but I am tired of being taxed and getting no where , should I take it up with the government? They are not listening to any of us and haven't for years. Again I will apologize for venting at you, but who else can I vent on I am over the edge and yes ready for a nervous breakdown. I cannot help the world and I am irritated. sad

37. aware profile image67
    awareposted 14 years ago

was that a crack at me? or ae?

38. profile image0
    Annie4posted 14 years ago

Hey, if you don't want to watch much coverage of Haiti try Fox News. They are covering it the least of any channel, as if it's a nuisance. All I can say is if the same disaster happens in your neighborhood let's hope someone has the decency to pull out a shovel and spend some hours looking for everyone. We are all one. If you think what we give as a nation is outrageous, you can always do your part for those here who are busy giving in foreign lands. A little bit of help from everyone will go a long way.

39. Has_aWayWithWords profile image63

I did not say government sent reporters, What I was saying is themoney spent by media to send reporters and money spent by government sending politicians could be spent to send transportation and medical aid

40. Has_aWayWithWords profile image63

AE, People are quick to judge an opinion other than thier own. Opinions are like a$$holes, evrybody has one. I understad your original point of taxing us to make donations in effect forcing people to donate whether they can afford it or not. My point is also apparently not getting across and it seems pretty simple, less government and less news, more help, Alot of money is spent by govrnment and media in a disaster like this and that same money could be spent saving lives

41. blondepoet profile image66
    blondepoetposted 14 years ago

AE, I am proud that you have spoken out and voiced your opinion. Whether we agree or disagree, what makes someone right or wrong? Who judges?
    Certainly not I.The beauty of being a human being is that we have the right to think for ourselves, and see the world in different perspectives.
    I have always loved you from Day one and am honoured to have a friend who has always cared for others, and who has a heart so big it almost bursts out of her chest.
    Love you heaps!!!!

42. AEvans profile image72

First and foremost I will apology to everyone for venting that is not my character as many of you know,this is the only place I can vent due to everything that is going on here at home. As I write this many of you are painting the wrong picture, I do not care that our government gives to HAITI and we brought people into our home during Katrina, during the TSUNAMI we donated to the Red Cross and now we have given to HAITI I am irritated at our government and am  I probably ready for a nervous breakdown the answer is yes, my cup is running over and all of you are the only ones that can hear my cries. I will never start a thread like this again I am proud to be AMERICAN just irritated with the government, so many suffering we cannot help them all. I am irritated at our government because they are printing money we do not have, or do they? I am a one household income, sick husband, sick mom and trying to juggle 200 hours into a week so I can only share what I feel and what I had gotten was grief and nastiness. I apologized to Ryan for error on what I was trying to get across but before you judge me you should ask what is wrong. The ones who know me , know when there is something wrong because they clearly point it out , thank you Misha, Sufidreamer, BDazzler, BlondePet, Nelle Hoxie and so many others.I am sorry to you too because you do not have to protect me, I am just tired. To all please forgive me I am not hateful at all. Again I apologize if this hurt anyone feelings.

Here is my reply and I also apologize to AWARE for venting at them too! sad

43. Sufidreamer profile image80
    Sufidreamerposted 14 years ago

We do sometimes have to protect our friends, Julianna, and know that they would do the same for us. Not going to discuss things in public, but you know that you have my full support if you need anything.

Ryan: You can be a feisty little bugger, at times, but you are also a true English gentleman.  big_smile

44. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

AE, I do like you and you have always been respectful to me but I disagree with what you are saying completely. I understand people in the US...and the UK...and Canada...and hundreds of other countries around the world are suffering due to the current economy. But you can't take it out on a disaster like what has happened in Haiti.

I know and I feel bad for them it hurts to see it , I believe I am just going to watch a movie tonight and stop watching the news, it is devastating. sad

45. Has_aWayWithWords profile image63

Personally attacking someone for thier opinion or feelings is just wrong, I think the point AE made was valid and I think there are other valid points as well but I am sure she had no intention on hurting any feelings and I am sure she was not implying that helping was bad or wrong. AE I truly hope things for you get better and I also know wht you mean about seeing all of this over an over while you are personally trying to get through yet another day. Good luck with everything and I hope you see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Thank you for your understanding and I know there has to be light somewhere, I just have to get through the dark to find it.

46. Has_aWayWithWords profile image63

I have a flashlight...batteries are dead tho   LOL  :0)

47. SweetiePie profile image81
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

The one and only thing I have to say is I think it is highly important they cover what is happening in Haiti as much as possible.  If they were broadcasting about Michael Jackson's posthumous video 24/7 there would be a right to complain, but in this case coverage is vital.  This thread has encouraged me to make another donation to the poor people in Haiti.

48. SparklingJewel profile image66
    SparklingJewelposted 14 years ago

...after all, how do we know that our donations are going to the people...there have always been reports about past disasters where the money never made it to the people in need, but only into the pockets of someone else

there is very disturbing information coming out about Haiti's past government escapades that made the people rise up and revolt, they have will and determination, they will get through this and come out the other side strong and rebuild their country regardless of what some bad people do to try to undermind them.

if I knew the Haitian victory motto,, I would post it smile

49. SweetiePie profile image81
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

I believe donations to the Red Cross are used wisely.  Haiti has been unstable politically for over a hundred years, that is not new.

50. readytoescape profile image60
    readytoescapeposted 14 years ago

AEvans you dirty rotten blah blah blah….AND I DON"T MEAN ONE WORD OF THAT!

I skimmed about 11 pages of this BS.

YOU DON’T NEED TO DEFEND YOURSELF for one thing my dear. Read her hubs if you want to fugure her out.

Sometimes you get pissed off and want to vent.

Hell we damn sure have been provided plenty of reason.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)