LOL..... So much for "separation of Church and State"!

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (24 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 14 years ago

Our dear President has succeeding in doin' it again.
    Breaking ground on pushing HIS agenda while breaking the liberal rule of "separation of Church and State" (which was never a real rule anyway, but often touted by liberals).
    Just one more case of proof that he's not really FOR the liberals, even;  but simply for HIS agenda no matter where it goes.

His speech at the Church in DC was hugely political and rode on the wings of Martin Luther King's honor.   He even had the audacity to tout his agenda for gays and lesbians (or else use them as a crutch too...who can tell with him at this point?!)  FROM A PULPIT!    No wonder there was a "fuss" about his being allowed to speak there, as he referred to.  Any self-respecting, much less God-respecting,  person would've WALKED OUT of that Church as soon as he started his hogwash.
    But indeed I believe I also saw the "Reverend" Wright in the background sittin' on a chair....

1. SparklingJewel profile image66
      SparklingJewelposted 14 years agoin reply to this

do you have a link to the speech/sermon he gave?

2. DogSiDaed profile image61
      DogSiDaedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So what you're saying is, you're accusing the President, the most political of people, of being political? He read a positive agenda for the general progression of America and you're annoyed because he didn't talk about god enough?

3. Ron Montgomery profile image60
      Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Your extremely narrow understanding of Christianity is not shared universally.

P. S. That's a good thing.  There may be hope for that dying religion yet.

2. profile image0

He talked about "God" from his point of view.
    But not the true God; not Christ.  He made a point (for those who listened really) of showing that his "god" is a namby-pamby politically-correct universally-benign version, cheap imitation of the Creator Himself.

No, I don't have a link yet.
    The "sermon" or "speech" or whatever label can be applied was only shown a while ago; doesn't seem to be on the internet yet.

1. DogSiDaed profile image61
      DogSiDaedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Everyone has their own opinion of god. And hence you can't really complain smile god is not literal, he is whoever the hell you want him/her to be. Obama is entitled to his god.

Have you met christ?

1. profile image0
        Brenda Durhamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes. He is inseparable from the Holy Spirit.
        He offered me His gift of salvation, and I took it.

3. profile image0

What I was referring to was the ludicricity (is ludicricity a word?  hmm...lol) of the liberal agenda which usually calls for "separation of Church and State" as a way of touting gay rights, abortion, etc.
    And then the liberal President goes and makes a political speech in a Church, all the while touting some unknown religion actually (he never has the guts to just come out and say what religion he is;  but he hides within a "Baptist" Church this time.)
    BTW, it's not any type of truly Baptist church like I've ever seen, 'cause if it were they wouldn't allow him to get in their pulpit and speak crap akin to blasphemy.
    But then, it WAS apparently a Church that happily carries the label of "Black" as in pro-Black-activism and apparently always has, for....100 years or so, he said.....so Obama is using the previously-legitimate rights of the black population to help carry out his agenda.

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

smile try "ludicrousness"

4. wyanjen profile image71
    wyanjenposted 14 years ago

In the history of the United States there have been only two presidents who have not affiliated with a church. They've been doing this type of thing from day one. There would be a much larger outcry if he instead remained secular.

Take "In God We Trust" off our money, then we can talk about this lol
    Actually I do own a "godless dollar". It was a mint error that left IGWT off the edge.

Here is some reading for you:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Amen … nstitution
    smile

Speaking from a church pulpit is no different than putting a christmas tree on the White House lawn. Yes, they are activities that invoke religion, but it is not a violation of the separation of church and state.

Signed,
    Liberal Atheist. smile

1. profile image0

lol

well...indeed....how does one break a rule that never was a rule to begin with??!! ha

but you're in denial of it all of course, probably because you're an Obama follower??

1. wyanjen profile image71
        wyanjenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How is the First Amendment not considered a "rule"?

I supported McCain, actually.
        Funny how people assume.
        I voted for Obama because I could not stand the thought of a Palin VP. I also had some doubts about McCain considering the fact that he allowed her on the ticket in the first place... He blew his own credibility with me.

Show me the most recent president of the Untied States who did NOT speak publicly about god.
        I'm not a pres. scholar, but by my research you have to go all the way back to Jefferson. smile

1. profile image49
          ATXposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You supported McCain but voted for Obama?  Neat trick.

5. profile image0

In "those days", it was understood that "religion" meant other denominations of Christianity.  So, no particular denomination or man-made religious organization like the Catholic Church or the Lutheran Church or even the Baptist denominations could make their particular brand into a "State" religion. 
    It also stopped "religion" (and even stopped Christianity) from mandating that people BE of any one particular belief; which is well and good, because no one should be forced by another person to believe in anything, even Christ.

Atheism and witchcraft and a myriad of other so-called "religions" of today's times have whined about how oppressed their particular style of beliefs has been, thereby attempting to validate them as "religions" at all.

The First Amendment has been mis-interpreted of late.
    Its purpose was not to separate the belief in God from politics.  It was simply to keep any religious organization from mandating a religion or belief system to the extent that it violated one's personal freedom.

1. wyanjen profile image71
      wyanjenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wow, Brenda, no that's not the case.
      Several founding fathers were atheists. This is why many of them came to America in the first place.
      Religion meant belief in god, not which brand of christianity you like.

How can you group atheism with witchcraft? Wicca is a legitimate religion, and Wiccans have been oppressed. They should not they not complain, because why - they are not popular enough? I'm kinda surprised... I hope you just said that to get a rise out of me lol

If you think atheism is a religion, then this conversation is a waste of time. Sorry smile but if this is true, then you don't understand the situation. smile

"Religions are all alike - founded upon fables and mythologies." - Thomas Jefferson

Peace smile
      Jen

6. theirishobserver. profile image61
    theirishobserver.posted 14 years ago

In our discussion yesterday evening about can a man be forgiven etc etc we touched on this mix of political and religious....why does any politican need to appeal to God or suggest that God is on his side if God views us all as sinners anyway......surely Obama should just wait like the rest of us until the day of 'judgement' and see what ranking he got....up or down...

1. profile image0

God doesn't view us all as hopeless sinners.

One is either a sinner, or else a sinner saved by His grace....

7. theirishobserver. profile image61
    theirishobserver.posted 14 years ago

And I dont think Obama should be cuttig and pasting from Dr Kings Hub....if he done that here he would be flagged...

8. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

well, it's a fine line. don't they swear on the Bible when they are inaugurated? and don't our founding documents mention God here and there?

9. profile image0

Ron, you're correct about one thing anyway.

The Way is narrow.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60
      Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

YOUR way is indeed.  Thankfully your view is only shared by an ever-dwindling minority.

P.S. - The preponderance of the evidence suggests that no god is a part of that minority.

10. profile image0

Have it your way.

Although.....there is plenty of Spiritual evidence as well as physcial evidence.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think you are confusing "wishful thinking" with "evidence."

LOLOLOL

You are funny though - I will give you that.

11. profile image0

I'll take that as a compliment.  Thank you!  big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)