jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Hemlocks in Serious Danger?!

1. TheGlassSpider profile image81
    TheGlassSpiderposted 6 years ago

I read this article online today:

http://finance.yahoo.com/banking-budget … ing-system

While I always find it upsetting to hear that yet another species is in danger or becoming extinct, or yet another non-native something is eating away at somebody's eco-system, this story hits really close to home and hurt my heart.

Does anyone know any more about this issue, or know where I can go to find out more about it?

Does anyone have any suggestions on helping the situation?

Thank you in advance!

1. William R. Wilson profile image60
      William R. Wilsonposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I think invasives are the part of the environmental iceberg that are underwater for most people.  Everyone's concentrating on global warming, but meanwhile we have a total shift in ecosystems globally and biodiversity is disappearing. 

We are watching the 5th mass extinction of life on this planet, right now.  It's happening slowly in human terms but very very quickly in planetary terms. 

In my opinion, the best thing an individual can do is to become a steward.  Research the topic of rewilding.  Take over a bit of land, whether you own it or not, and take responsibility for reestablishing native ecosystems on it.  Live green.  Cut back on your consumption.  Etc. 

We can't stop it, we can only slow it down, and maybe preserve some things.

2. dave272727 profile image60
    dave272727posted 6 years ago

I saw it on Yahoo.  It wont become a problem until it affects some politicians.  You could look up the bug that is causing the problem.

3. TheGlassSpider profile image81
    TheGlassSpiderposted 6 years ago

Thanks for the responses guys.

@William: Do you think that some kind of balance can/will be achieved with the introduction of other species?

I'm going to get in contact with the National Parks around here and see if there's anything in my area being done that I can help with.