jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

Should the USA follow European Lead

1. theirishobserver. profile image60
    theirishobserver.posted 7 years ago

The European Parliment has just said that a petition of 1,000,000 Europeans can determine policy....see my new Hub for up date....

1. manlypoetryman profile image72
      manlypoetrymanposted 7 years ago in reply to this

How can Europe talk of leading anything...both past World Wars were started in Europe !

1. free4india profile image60
        free4indiaposted 7 years ago in reply to this

starting means leading ?!

2. Cagsil profile image60
      Cagsilposted 7 years ago in reply to this

No! smile

2. theirishobserver. profile image60

I wonder how they would determine the legitimacy of the petition..

1. girly_girl09 profile image76
      girly_girl09posted 7 years ago in reply to this

I am not for this on a national level, however I am proud to say that about half of the United States already allow petitions for ballot inititives which give the opportunity for issues to be brought before local and state legislative bodies.

There are some people against ballot initiatives, however I think they are truly fantastic. They allow for everyday citizens to get involved in state and local government.

Even if I do not agree on an issue, I will always sign a petition because I believe that voters should ALWAYS have the opportunity to voice their opinions in a wide array of formats. Ballot initiatives are very productive formats of voicing opinion.

3. theirishobserver. profile image60

Manlypoetryman, misunderstanding there, it is a petition of 1 million people in Europe that can determine policy, dont worry we know about the wars, this is simply about people power within Europe....

4. manlypoetryman profile image72
    manlypoetrymanposted 7 years ago

Ok...it was a "context thing"...I get it now..Ok...the problem with petitions...is the leadership has to listen to what the folks are petitioning. Good Luck with that....Seriously! I hope the Parliament is listening...for real!

5. theirishobserver. profile image60

thanks for that girly girly very informative...

working