Death Penalty

Jump to Last Post 1-28 of 28 discussions (68 posts)
  1. calpol25 profile image60
    calpol25posted 14 years ago

Should the death penalty be brought back to britain?
    And for what crimes should it be used?

1. qwark profile image61
      qwarkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Calpol:
      I want the perpetrator of a heinous, premeditated, violent crime which kills an innocent human being, to understand, to the deepest levels of his consciousness, before and during his execution, what his victim endured before life ebbed from his fear filled, tortured, mind and body.

I am one of those "medieval" human creatures who would like to see "executions" televised.

1. NewYorker profile image59
        NewYorkerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's funny how you say you're one of those "medival" persons, and mention TV in the same sentence. TV was invented in the 1960's ... Not the 1700's..

1. qwark profile image61

New Yorker:
          Yeh, it's easy! Even we cavemen can do it!
          When they begin televised executions, would ya like me to invite ya too my tailgate party?..It'll be in my driveway. I'll provide the beer and barbecue...It'll be by invitation only 'cause I have a small driveway front of my garage where the flat screen TV'll be..OK?
          Let me know..:-)

2. profile image0
      Will Bensonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi Cal - We execute a few criminals every year in the US but capitol punishment has a few problems. Obviously the fact that some executed criminals were later found to be innocent is a big one. This makes juries less inclined to convict so the prosecution has a greater burden to get a guilty verdict.
      The time taken for the appeals process means that the punishment sometimes waits a decade or more. Among other problems, this makes capitol punishment very expensive to the taxpayer.
      Then there's the question of fairness since the process is costly and good lawyers are expensive. The poor get executed in greater proportion than those who are better off. Also, some countries that don't execute are reluctant to extradite crime suspects back to the US.
      There's a lot of controversy here as to whether the death penalty is an effective deterrent to crime or not. It seems that those who commit the most horrible of crimes are so warped that they never give any consideration to the consequences, including capital punishment.
      Actually, only a small proportion of murderers end up being executed so the chances of giving the family some feeling that justice has been done, is pretty overstated. Most only end up feeling frustrated.
      I believe the problems with capital punishment aren't worth any small benefit to be had. Lock them up in supermax I say, and throw away the key.

My thoughts.

1. qwark profile image61

Will:
        I agree with most of what you write.
        Personally? I don't want to feed, bed and entertain any human "monster" who, in premeditated manner, takes the life of an innocent human being.
        Rehabilitation shouldn't be considered.
        Of course execution is not a deterrent to future cime.
        My point is that nature has a way of ridding a species of the weak and unadaptable. WE fly in the face of "nature" if we do not ABSOLUTELY eliminate that facet of the human species that has proven itself to be of no value to it in any way that can be imagined.
        I go one step further tho. I say that the perp should be executed in the same manner and intensity "it" murdered "it's" victim!
        Remove the "scourge" permanently!

2. Ohma profile image59
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Though I do not live in Britain I am absolutely pro Death penalty. Whe should any society have to pay to support rapists, murderers and child molesterd. These people gave up the right to live in any normal society and we should not create a place for them to be at the expense of others.

1. Ladybird33 profile image67
      Ladybird33posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you Ohma, yes, that is my opinion too.

3. William F. Torpey profile image72
    William F. Torpeyposted 14 years ago

The death penalty is an abomination and a stain on humanity. No matter how heinous a crime may be it is degrading to us all to fall to the level of the criminal by doing the same thing that we abhor about the criminal. Violence begets violence, and the death penalty would not deter criminals from committing their crimes. Rather, capital punishment would teach our youth that violence is an appropriate way to settle a score. The death penalty should not be brought back to Britain, nor should it exist anywhere else in the world.

1. Sally's Trove profile image80
      Sally's Troveposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree.

It is well known that the threat of the death penalty is not a deterrent to crime. 

Also, the judicial system in this country, the USA, has sentenced to death those who were not guilty as accused and judged. It's a faulty system at best, based in large part on politics.

4. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Let's just execute all Brits! Problem solved smile

1. Mamelody profile image59
      Mamelodyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Now you're talking! tongue

5. AEvans profile image72
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

We have the death penalty in the United States but it depends on the crime. If a person murders another person then they should be put to death there are so many crimes that people should be put to death for here but nothing is ever done. Child Abuse, Child Molestation, Spousal abuse, Rape I believe these to should get the death penalty because we do not need people like that around. They say they can be rehabilitated I find that truly hard to believe.

calpol25posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I quite agree with you there as they are also the crimes I believ should be punishable by death over here x

6. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

I'm against the death penalty, but I do believe in life sentences without parole!

I agree with the death penalty in certain cases but life should mean life when sentence is passed because it just encourages others to reoffend.

2. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

With you on that Habee!  smile

3. The Rope profile image60
      The Ropeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Habee.  Whenever I have debated this subject however, the argument always comes up that we, as a nation, can't afford to keep the prisoners incarcerated.  With further research, you find that the (*&^&^#$% laws require the citizens of the US to pay the prisoners if they are incarcerated against their will (Duh!)  I still say no problem. Pay them and then charge them the full amount for room and board - or change the (*&^%$^& laws. But no parole and no shortened sentences for "good behavior".

1. qwark profile image61

Rope:
        Sorry, that's bull crap.
        We're talking about those who have commited the most heinous crimes: premeditated murder!
        I wrote a "hub" referring to this subject and I will stick with the premise of that "hub."...:Televised Executions" They have proved themselves to be unworthy of living! Kill them in the same manner they killed their victim.

1. The Rope profile image60

Qwark - The laws and the whole system is "bull crap".  Our system of laws is by far the most screwed up system one can possibly imagine.  Glad we agree at least that somewhere there is "bull crap" manifesting itself.

1. qwark profile image61

Rope:
            Hahaha...ty.
            I just said that what you said was "crap."
            We all know that our judicial system sucks in too many ways to count.
            Generalismo Franco who was once the dictator of Spain would execute one who was found guilty of a capital crime, the next morning at daybreak...after a nice breakfast and a few words.
            It was very neat and inexpensive. A couple bullets to the heart and a burial...finis...
            Wouldnt that be nice here? :-)

7. quicksand profile image80
    quicksandposted 14 years ago

I agree with Mr William Torpey. I do not think anyone has the authority to pass such a sentence irrespective of what position he/she occupies in "society."

An official death sentence, "ceremoniously" carried out is far more disastrous than demeaning. It is also demoralizing as the decree is from UNTESTED human devises.

There is a lot more to be said on that ...

8. Colebabie profile image59
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

A family member of mine was murdered. His killer shot himself in the head. Although initially he was given the death penalty, that was rescinded and he was given life in prison due to the fact that he became partially mentally disabled due to his self inflicted injury.

Do I think he deserves to die? Yes. The change of verdict was very difficult for my family to go through.

The fact that he became partially mentally disabled due to his self inflicted injury should have had no bearing on his sentence, because he was perfectly heathy when he committed murder.

Im so sorry for you and your family and I know you have probably heard it thousands of times but the judge that passed sentence was bloody unfair and should be reeducated.

9. Colebabie profile image59
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

Thanks calpol. That wasn't the only reason behind it (but was part). It was a very long trial. Either way, I just never want to see his face. I suppose if he isn't going to die, as long as I never have a chance of seeing his face I will be okay. This topic has come up in the forums before. I always say what I think and why I think it. Although I respect someone's belief that no one has a right to take another's life... because of my experience I obviously have my own thoughts.

1. drej2522 profile image67
      drej2522posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I partially agree here, Cole...I think most of our beliefs are based on life experiences. I'm sorry for your loss, but I don't believe in the death penalty.

Although, with that said, if I were faced with a similar situation, I'm sure my beliefs would alter drastically.

2. calpol25 profile image60

Your welcome x  I hope you dont ever have to see his face again, if he must live I hope he has a slow and painful death.
      You a very brave person and I respect and Admire your courage for answering this discussion.
      God Bless You xxx

10. Akhomesteader profile image74
    Akhomesteaderposted 14 years ago

Hang them in the court yard for all the rest of the scumbags to see where they are headed. If they are going to get life sentences then put them back on the rock pile.

11. Ohma profile image59
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Some years ago there was a case here in the U.S. where a women locked her infant and 3 yr. old in a car then pushed the car into a lake.She then amazingly went on national T.V. and pled for her children to be returned to her. It took a minute for the authorities to figure out what really happened but for days that was all over the T.V.
    Not only do I think this nut should have been put to death they should have bound her hand and foot and drowned her sorry A$$.

1. qwark profile image61

Ohma:
      I see you agree with me!
      Proud of ya! :-)

2. AnythingArtzy profile image67
      AnythingArtzyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I remeber that case and I agree with you.
      I also think that if the death penalty was brought back it would stop crime rather than beget more. criminals have for too long been given too many rights and too many slaps on the wrist.
      if there is no doubt whatsoever of their guilt then..........

1. qwark profile image61

Artzy:
        We're considering those who are guilty of committing premeditated murder.
        Believe me, killing them will have no effect on future killings.
        A sociopathic/psychopathic killer can't be stopped by the possiblity of his death from murdering a victim.
        Once caught and convicted, there are 2 possiblities: life in prison or death.
        it is my firm belief that that human monster has outlived his value. He is "trash!" What is done with trash? It is destroyed! That is my desire for a convicted murderer.

12. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 14 years ago

A few years back my 8 year old great nephew, Zachary Bernhardt was abducted and never seen again..
    Then my older brother's granddaughter was raped and killed then raped again by a friend of the family (she was friends with the husband and wife) He put a chain around her neck and dragged her while she was dying.
    I live in USA but I do want the death penalty

1. qwark profile image61

Deb:
      If the perp has been found guilty beyond a reasonable doubt of a capital crime, I agree he should be exterminated...but in the same manner he killed his victim!

2. profile image0
      shazwellynposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am really sorry that your family had to suffer such a terrible death.  I can not possibly know what you all went through,,, xo

1. profile image0
        Deborah Sextonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thank you much.
        Here is where I posted a link to both http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/34606?page=3#post771419

3. profile image0

This is the man who killed my brother's granddaughter. He got 51 years not death. Just because it wasn't premeditated though the rape was. He told all kinds of nasty lies about her to make excuses for murdering her.  She was 28 and beautiful. She had a handsome boyfriend..and she did not like this creep, not that way though he lied and said they were having an affair. His wife turned him in.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2008/apr/0 … -51-years/

This is my great nephew who was abducted or whatever..missing now for almost 10 years. It is my feeling his mom KNOWS what happened to him.

http://coltonleviclark.wordpress.com/ca … bernhardt/

1. Flightkeeper profile image67
        Flightkeeperposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Deborah, I'm sorry to hear about your family's terrible experiences.  The creep who murdered and raped your brother's granddaughter probably got his just desserts by being put in jail for most of his life.  There's a weird honor among thieves code that exists in prison.  It seems rapists and child murderers are considered the lowest of the low.  It wouldn't be a surprise if that creep was treated as the whole prison's "relief" toy and the corrections officers most likely will not interfere.

1. profile image0

I hope so. He is coming up for an appeal and her mom is so afraid somehow he will get out. Though only the rape seems premeditated, a killer to me is a killer.(only self defense or accidental killings should be treated lightly) He certainly did it with no remorse and blamed it all on her because she wasn't there to defend herself.

What's really pathetic is that there are people serving life in prison who sold cocaine to willing adults, yet the murderer of my brothers granddaughter gets to live, eat, watch TV etc. He was a pizza man and lived in a mobile home. Prison may not seem that bad to him.

13. marcel285 profile image65
    marcel285posted 14 years ago

Death penalty should be bought back everywhere. for rapists, and murderers, they don't deserve life. Although i think that them being locked up in jail is a better punishment for them than death, i certainly don't think that tax payers money spent on their existence is really justified at all.

14. profile image0
    Pani Midnyte Odinposted 14 years ago

I don't agree with the death penalty. I'd rather see the criminal rot in prison and be forced to think about what he has done. Death is too easy of an escape.

1. profile image0
      Madame Xposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's just it - they don't think about it . . . while we pay for them not to.

2. profile image0
      Pani Midnyte Odinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ooh, to add to this. Instead of a prison, I think that we should just dump them off on an island somewhere, thousands of miles away from civilization, give them no food or anything else that could help them survive and let them have a go at it without society since they chose not to follow society's rules.

Furthermore, all male offenders should be castrated and all female offenders should be forced to have their **** cut off so that there is absolutely no way for them to ever have any pleasure again at all.

Wow... who knew I could be so sadistic...

1. Ohma profile image59
        Ohmaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The Great state of Georgia began life as a penal colony. That worked really well.

15. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 14 years ago

Big fan of killing scum that deserve it.

Do I trust the government Inc to kill the right people?

Ummmm - No. wink

16. profile image0
    Madame Xposted 14 years ago

Not a bad idea but they tried it once . . . Botany Bay

17. marcel285 profile image65

Or i think that an island should be selected, one that is far away from civilization, and surrounded by shark infested waters. The murderers and rapists should all be put there together, with no handed out supplies of food, or water or anything..There they can fend for themselves with whatever resources they can find,kill each other, try to survive, whatever.

That way we wouldn't be spending our hard earned cash on their worthless and pathetic lives. Perhaps that would be too cruel and unhumane, but they probably deserve it, as their actions have tainted the lives of innocent people. If people can't be civilized and live accordingly in a civilized society, then they should be pushed out.

18. marcel285 profile image65

Pati Mydnite Odin- You read my mind! I was typing as you posted that island idea.

19. marcel285 profile image65

Btw, Nice touch adding that their genitals should be gone with!

1. profile image0
      Pani Midnyte Odinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hehe, perhaps you and I should devise a plan to take over the world then. Since we seem to be on the same page lol

20. marcel285 profile image65

So what happened at Botany Bay? Did they end up escaping?

1. profile image0

No, it became Australia

21. marcel285 profile image65

Absolutly big_smile

22. profile image0
    Pani Midnyte Odinposted 14 years ago

I just read about three articles about Botany Bay.

They were EX-convicts and soldiers who were granted land in Botany Bay. Rather than cutting them off from society, they allowed them to create their own society. So many people moved there that it eventually became Australia.

1. profile image0

Actually, from 1788 to 1823, the Colony of New South Wales (Botany Bay) was officially a penal colony comprised mainly of convicts, mostly men but about 20% women.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Actually they weren't ex-convicts. They were criminals, sentenced to transportation instead of jail.  Of course there were soldiers to guard them, then as the colony developed, free settlers started arriving as well.

As for racism - there are racists in every country.  Having visited quite a few, I feel Australia is the least racist of all. One of my friends, a black ex-marine from Chicago, moved here because he loved the lack of prejudice compared to his home town.

23. marcel285 profile image65

ohh, i live Australia at the moment. Maybe that is why there are a lot of very racist Australians. They used to be very cruel to the Aborigionals. I saw something on the use a couple of weeks ago too, The news presenter quoted 'Curry bashing is turning into curry killing.'

That is so stupid, allowing them to build their own civilization! Duuuh what did they think would happen?!

1. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I live in Australia too. I was born here as was my great great grandfather.
      Australians speak more than 185 languages and this is one of the worlds most successful multi-cultural societies.
      Australia has some racists as has every country. The difference is we prosecute racist behavior, our press reports it, our government deals with it and most people here are tolerant and not at all racist. smile

24. 05Jamie profile image58
    05Jamieposted 14 years ago

Over here I think we are far too soft ! Death penalty should be in full swing we need to make a statement ! Plus prisons are well overloaded so would kill two birds with one stone so too speak !!!!

1. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, every one excessively promoting his own sites should be subjected to death penalty, I agree!!! We need to make a statement!!! lol

25. Petra Vlah profile image60
    Petra Vlahposted 14 years ago

Time and again people have been executed only to find out later that they were innocent.

Death is definitive and saying Ops will never bring a life back

USA is right between China and Iran in terms of death penalty execution, but ahead of Suddan, North Korea and Pakistan. The company we keep speak for for itself

26. Izzy Anne profile image60
    Izzy Anneposted 14 years ago

Such bloodlust. The death penalty is barbaric and no country can be called civilized which still has it.

As to Australia - while I agree that racist talk is often heard there, one cannot make a kind of link between that racism and the convicted prisoners that were sent to Australia 200 years ago.  Those prisoners were often sent there for petty offences such as stealing a loaf of bread.  Most were poor people in a time without any kind of social help.

Anyway, if you want to look at the genetic line - look at the rich children of Britain and look who have ancestors that benefitted from the slave trade.

27. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

If I were convicted of a Crime I did not commit I would rather be put to death immediately than to spend ten years in jail just be found Innocent ten years later and have to recondition myself back into a society that I no longer know.
          Life in prison is excessively cruel and unusual punishment for any crime.
         If the death penalty had not been so lax over the last 1000 years the world would not be in the situating that it is today.
         When you pull a weed in your tomato garden you are executing the death penalty for that poor little weed.
    When the death penalty is executed It is not punishment, it is preservation for a way of life worth living. 
       Just my heart felt opinion !!!

28. Sab Oh profile image56
    Sab Ohposted 14 years ago

The question is, shouldn't the people of Britain be allowed to decide?

1. The Rope profile image60

Absolutely Sab, but as ones living in a similar set up, US citizens also should be voicing opinions to give those in Britain something to chew over.

1. Sab Oh profile image56
        Sab Ohposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't think they are 'allowed' to decide, as they would be kicked out of the EU for having the death penalty (if I'm not mistaken).

we did have a poll on the decision but stupid human rights for pedofiles and murderers says we cant have the death penalty x
          They have rights you know ( in my book they should lined up against a wall and crucified with nails through the genitals, under the arm and through the knee cap and left to rot and bleed to death .
          I dont bare grudges as you can see x

2. calpol25 profile image60

i quite agree with you, if you in america were to agree and say we should have more choice on the matter then perhaps they would listen to us but they are not interested in our opinions.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)