Are the Missionaries in Haiti guilty of kidnapping children

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (25 posts)
  1. bonny2010 profile image60
    bonny2010posted 14 years ago

or were they just trying to do the right thing and decided to byepass the red tape...

1. livewithrichard profile image72
      livewithrichardposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes they are guilty regardless of their intentions for those children. Those children just experienced the most tragic event of their short lives and stealing them from their homeland would be wrong at any level of reasoning. 

I personally know a young girl that was illegally adopted from Honduras 14 years ago through a "missionary" group only to find out she had several siblings who were also illegally adopted and  scattered all across this country. My sister spent a good part of a decade tracking down her real family and some of her siblings and found that this "missionary" group was selling the adoption process to the highest bidder. 

It seems that if you have the money, or are a celebrity like Angelina Jolie or Madonna, anything goes.

2. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

no they are capitalizing on a desperate situation. i am glad they got arrested.

2. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Yes, they were - based on what I read about it.

Answer to the second part of your question depends on what you personally call "the right thing" smile

bonny2010posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Apparantly some of these kids were given away with their parents permission -but one must also remember these parents had just gone through a very frightening thing and I guess they were desperate and trusted the missionaries..

3. marinealways24 profile image60
    marinealways24posted 14 years ago

Did they have the parents consent?

Some of them did - but I guess at a time like that they regarded the missionaries as god sent - once things settle down - well the emotions change. I did read that these people were told their children would be able to come back to visit them - yeah right.

4. Arthur Fontes profile image76
    Arthur Fontesposted 14 years ago

Going into a disaster area rounding up children and trying to smuggle them out of the country.  To get around red tape?

Criminals!! When would it be "the right thing" to steal children?

1. marinealways24 profile image60
      marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Maybe God told them to do it?

2. bonny2010 profile image60

I agree Fontes -
      I guess that is what they told the parents marinealways24

5. aware profile image68
    awareposted 14 years ago

mabey. their are many displaced kids lets not rush doling them out  as orphaned .

6. Arthur Fontes profile image76

The Austrian orphanage where these children ended up after being kidnapped claims that some of the children have families.

7. aware profile image68
    awareposted 14 years ago

these people clamoring for Haitian earth quake kids makes me sick . where were they before the quake ?

Ya know I asked exactly the same question....was told I was being cynical

8. ledefensetech profile image68
    ledefensetechposted 14 years ago

I'm really torn on this one.  One one hand just about any change for those kids would be a good one.  Much less being adopted in an advanced nation.  On the other hand the future of a people is dependent on their children.  By depriving Haitians of their children, do we doom the Haitian people?  Then again if they can't provide for their children, do they deserve to remain as a people?

I think I have to go with those kids were not kidnapped, they were given an opportunity at a life they'd never get to have had they remained in Haiti.

I would rather remain in hell with my mum and dad than be parted from them- but my mum and dad might differ as we always came first for them.
      Well you know the same could be said for all countries around the world - cause there are a lot of people outside of natural disaster zones who can'tand won't provide for their children - I don't know, but Ido know I would hate to doom a country because of anatural disaster.

9. aware profile image68
    awareposted 14 years ago

the perception of Haitians many have is  false Haitians are good strong mostly peaceful and caring people .to let such good nature d  and well meaning people be passed over for so long while pouring trillions into the earths war machine .   and trillions more aiding other people in the world that  are not as inclined towards peace on earth as the Haitians are. is egregious.  and puts us all under a very unflattering  light

1. earnestshub profile image82
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You have spoken the truth. The history is all there to see, and the Haitian people are delightful and peace loving. Some of these children had parents according to one report I heard. smile

2. ledefensetech profile image68
      ledefensetechposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Delightful and peace loving the Haitians may be, but they are among the poorest of nations.  Cubans are better off than Haitians.  If we really want to help, understanding why they're so poor is a good first step.

Maybe they need a good government

3. A2shley profile image61
      A2shleyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I disagree on perceiving Haitians as peaceful, loving, and caring.  They have a history of using children as house slaves.  Poor families who can't afford to care for their children send them away to richer families.  It is hardly a way for a child to grow up.  A much better government is needed, where there is advocacy and oversight for children.  Having said that, I'd rather see missionaries helping out in that way than snatching "orphans" from their homeland.  In no country would that be legal, and they underestimated the strength of the Haitian government to not want to be taken advantage of.

1. Misha profile image62
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

When you have a chance to not be able to afford care for your children, you may have more right to judge them. Right now it is ridiculous, really.

10. Arthur Fontes profile image76

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/200 … very_N.htm

This is what can happen to children who are taken out of their native country.  There was not even a disaster when this happened!!

11. marinealways24 profile image60
    marinealways24posted 14 years ago

They will say "God" told them to do it and get off on insanity. big_smile

They would want to hope they don't have people like my Mum on the jury- cause it never worked for me

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)