Aussie Boom?

1. Sab Oh profile image59
    Sab Ohposted 6 years ago

I know we have a number of Australian members, so I wanted to ask about a report I read recently that said Australia's population was set to grow by 2/3 over the next 40 years or so - much more than previously predicted, much of it due to immigration.

What are your thoughts on this? Could it be a good thing, given the aging home-grown population? How do you think it might affect culture/society/government/etc. in your lovely country?

2. MikeNV profile image75
    MikeNVposted 6 years ago

Sadly Australia like the rest of the world is saddled with mounting and insurmountable debt.

How are they going to support a population explosion?

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Not true - Australia's debt is 15.9% of GDP (Gross Domestic Product).  That compares to 83.9% of GDP for the USA, 81.8% for the European Union.  Even China has a debt of 20.2%.

Our Opposition is beating up the debt as a way of attacking the Government and are doing a good job if making it look bad.  Have we forgotten that every OTHER world government threw an awful lot more money at fixing the Global Financial Crisis than we did? 

Australian banks were never in trouble, so the Australian government never had to bail them out as other countries did.