jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (38 posts)

Thirsty?

1. qwark profile image61
    qwarkposted 7 years ago

The earths human population will increase to about 9 billion by 2050.
    Only 3% of all water on earth is "fresh."
    What does this mean to you and future mankind?

1. Rochelle Frank profile image89
      Rochelle Frankposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Higher salt intake?

1. qwark profile image61
        qwarkposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Rochelle:
        jeez I hope not.
        Salt causes bodie to hold water!
        There are too many fat people on earth now!
        We don't need more.....:-)

2. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Depends what you mean by 'fresh' when talking about the water. Of course it is all recycled and has been since the Earth began. Water comes from plants, animals, humans, oceans, rainfall <~associated with oceans....could go on.
      The world has plenty water for al of us. Did you kow that the newest iceberg formed in Antartica contains enough water to supply every person on the planet for a year? Shameless self-hub promotion here lol.
      What I'm more worried about is the New World Orders plans to exterminate 90% of us within the next 10 years.

1. qwark profile image61

Izzy:
        IF (big IF) global warming proves to be real, those "glaciers" will have disappeared. If it isn't There will still be about 3 billion more people who will want to satisfy their thirst.
        Yes we are drinking the same water dinosaurs drank and pissed. It still remains to be only about 3% fresh.
        Could be a problem...eh?  :-)

1. IzzyM profile image87

Nah...I don't care how many dinosaurs pissed in my drinking water. It does taste here as if it is still fresh piss but that's another story!
          If the glaciers at the south pole disappear, we are in deep trouble, but I can asure you that even if they are slowly melting - and the jury is still out on that one - it will be 50 million years minimum before it affects mankind, and by that time I will be dead, so I won't be losing any sleep over it tonight or in the near future.

1. qwark profile image61

Izzy:
            By golly you are right...and in 50 million yrs, we'll all be right there with ya...I'll bring the cards, you bring the beer ok?

1. IzzyM profile image87

OK smile

3. thisisoli profile image56
      thisisoliposted 7 years ago in reply to this

There is no real way that we can predict the growth of the human population, since it means predicting the mind set of every single persons decision on earth.

The average birth rate each year is something that fluctuates wildly, and many recent figures will be distorted by the last baby boom.

Nevertheless, the amount of fresh water we actually use is tiny, think about how much fresh water flows out to sea each year.

4. Sab Oh profile image59
      Sab Ohposted 7 years ago in reply to this
  2. samboiam profile image59
    samboiamposted 7 years ago

Means I will be really thirsty by the time I hit 80.

1. qwark profile image61

SAmboiam:
      Lets wait and see..ok?

3. profile image0
    Justine76posted 7 years ago

thirsty?....oops thought  this was about beer...

4. earnestshub profile image88
    earnestshubposted 7 years ago

We must deal with water now. Australia frustrates the hell out of me.
    Central parts of the country are under 40 foot of water, right now, some places the biggest rainfall in 100 years.

We gets floods, the water fills the dams floods towns and cities causing enormous damage then runs out to sea.

I know we must have fresh water entering the sea, but it is tough seeing this too much, too little water cycle here. We are either under water, in a forest fire, or watching the dry soil blown away.
    smile

1. IzzyM profile image87

I've read a litle bit about Australia's water problems. You have the technology. You just don't seem to have the politicians willing to sort it out, and you know it can be done.

2. qwark profile image61

Hi Earn:
      G'day!
      Are you familiar with the term diastrophism?
      Look it up if ya aren't.
      It's a process that, as long as this earth exists will continue.
      It changes all facets of the surface of this planet and it's been going on since this earth was created.
      it's natural.
      What bothers me is that too many people who do not act as nature demands, may screw up all that is necessary for life to continue viably.
      Who knows...i like to question...

5. Cagsil profile image60
    Cagsilposted 7 years ago

I don't get the correlation between the population 9 billion by 2050 to the water drank. And the fact, that 3% is fresh water, is sort of irrelevant.

Mass produced bottle water, for which, hundreds of millions of people drink, is or isn't damaging to the human body? Your point isn't quite clear.

Are you saying there will be a water shortage in the future? Or are you saying that the water on Earth by 2050 will not be worth drinking or could be hazardous to one's life, so much so, it would kill them to drink it?

Please, do clarify won't you?

1. qwark profile image61

Cags:
      Sure be happy to.
      At the moment, much of the population of this planet has to dig for water, boil it to make it potable.
      If the glaciers disappear, they will dissipate into the oceans.
      To be re-gained, that water will have to be distilled or saved as it evaporates and becomes cloud that will eventually fall back to earth and re-enter the oceans..
      Who knows how that increase in population and use will effect the mechanical production of potable water?
      There is no doubt that there's plenty of water on this planet. What is in doubt is the future of a burgeoning human population whose needs will increase.  will our ability to produce meet those needs..

1. Cagsil profile image60
        Cagsilposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Well, if you take a look at how things are presently, and then add 3 billion more people, the situation is likely to be quite a bit worse than it is presently.

Simply because, we're not, as a civilization/race, making sure that the needs of everyone is being met, as is. If we are unable to do it now.....it is more than obvious that it will not be done in the future as well, should we learn nothing of history and change things to a better solution.

I'm not offering up said solution. Sorry, don't have it mapped out to explain it, even if I wanted to. lol

Good thread though. smile

1. qwark profile image61

CAgs:
          Agreed!
          Just food-for-thought.  :-)

If it matters, I've already taken it into account. smile wink

1. qwark profile image61

CAgs:
              As have I....but the forums are a place where anything can be discussed and in doing so, some may be enlightened....right? ..of course.  :-)

Yes, some things can be discussed in a forum. You just have to be careful who you are trying to discuss with.

Those without a lick of integrity, will be glad to tear you down.
                Those with a load of ignorance, in that area, could end up being more trouble than realized.

There are simply too many complexities for one to open try to discuss a solution to ideas or problems of the future.

Only because of one thing....it almost always leads to change. People claim they want things to change, but fear change in and of itself. I am of the understanding for that fear is religion.

1. qwark profile image61

Cags:
                  if the kinds of questions I ask cause me to be dumped from the "Hubs" forum....then this is not a place where I want to be.
                  I will respond in like fashion.
                  There are those people who respond whom I say to: "I will not lower myself to your level of primitive, childish ignorance by responding."
                  I have typed that response...:-)

I know. I was just making you think about it. tongue smile

2. IzzyM profile image87

The glaciers are not going to disappear in our lifetime or our childrens lifetime (or their childrens, nor their childrens  - ad finitum)
        We don't use the glaciers for drinking water. We could. We don't have the technology.
        The glaciers send cool waters to our deepest oceans, which in turn affect our global weather patterns.
        Most of our rainwater comes from clouds that collected water from the oceans.
        The oceans are not running dry.
        World populations will stabilise; it is not for the West to decide what other nations do. Mother Nature already has a strong hand in this, but when the poorer nations become enrichened and educated, populations will stabilise naturally.
        Why did you start this thread?

1. qwark profile image61

Izzy:
          To have fun with those of you who have no idea what yer talking about..:-)
          I've said it before: I like to ask questions that influence people to reply in anyway they wish....silly or sage.
          I love your replies 'cause they keep me laughin'!  No! I'm serious! you are 'silly."  rotflmao....ty!

1. IzzyM profile image87

OK smile

2. Rochelle Frank profile image89
            Rochelle Frankposted 7 years ago in reply to this

"There can still be found, wisdom in silliness."

1. qwark profile image61

True, the bible is an example of pure sillyness....studying it has brought me to this "wisdom," farytales can be enlighening! :-)

2. EmpressFelicity profile image84
          EmpressFelicityposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Exactly.  It's something that the alarmist contingent just can't seem to accept. 

I've said it before, and I'll say it once more: There. Is. No. Overpopulation. Problem.

6. Colebabie profile image60
    Colebabieposted 7 years ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfVPeW9ufzs
    "And if you want it cold I got ice motha f^&$%#"

I love Robin Williams. He's the second best all time next to George Carlin. Awesome! lol lol lol

1. qwark profile image61

Cag:
        Standing ovation! I AGREE...:-)

2. qwark profile image61

Cole:
      If yer alive ya may have to produce that ice in a refrig...get my drift mutha  &*%$(*&!   lol

1. Colebabie profile image60
        Colebabieposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Where else would ice come from?
        I hope I'm alive in 2050, I'm only 22!

1. qwark profile image61

cole:
          Well if all the glaciers go...and there isn't anymore ice on this planet 'cept in winter, yep yer gonna have to have a frig.
          I hope yer alive in 2050....if y'ar keep me posted...i'll only be 6 ft under ya....:-)

working