jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Brave Iraqis Humble Us Once Again

1. Sab Oh profile image61
    Sab Ohposted 6 years ago

Despite a very serious threat of violence millions of Iraqis exercised their right to vote today. I have great admiration for those people who showed they have the courage to take advantage of an opportunity to make a new era in their proud nation's history. When all too many Americans can't be bothered to exercise their sacred right it is truly humbling to see people willing to risk their lives for something they had been denied in any serious way for far too long. We can learn something from this honorable people.

1. aka-dj profile image79
      aka-djposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Humbled is not the word I would have used.
      Shamed, might be more appropriate. big_smile

With so many OPPOSED to the war in Iraq, youd think they WOULD exercise their voting power to change things. hmm

Don't worry America, you ahve a lot more coming at you to wake you up.
      Question is, are your ears open to HEAR??? sad

1. Sab Oh profile image61
        Sab Ohposted 6 years ago in reply to this

What do you mean?

2. arthriticknee profile image89
    arthritickneeposted 6 years ago

Well said, and agreed on all counts.

But let America remember that democracy is democracy, regardless of result. After years of trying to bring democracy to Palestine, America suddenly was unhappy because the "wrong" team won.
    Democracy is about giving power to the people. The power to make choices - regardless of America or anyone else's opinion of those choices.

You can't have it both ways.

1. FranyaBlue profile image79
      FranyaBlueposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I agree

3. CMHypno profile image90
    CMHypnoposted 6 years ago

Apparently in the UK more people vote in the X-Factor final (singing contest like American Idol) than they do in local and general elections.  Shows where a lot of people's priorities are - we get the government we deserve due to voter apathy!