jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

A return to the Ivory trade YES or NO

1. Yungjon profile image59
    Yungjonposted 6 years ago

Both Tanzania and Zambia have put forward proposals to a Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species CITES meeting taking place in Qatar from March 13-25 to down list their elephant populations from Appendix I to the lesser Appendix II. This will allow limited trade in Ivory. Some environmentalists say this will only fuel the illegal poaching of Elephants.

Should this be allowed to happen???

1. Josak profile image60
      Josakposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Well I am going to go the controversial route and say yes, firstly because as it happens these governments have massive storehouses of ivory collected through confiscation and they need the money that these could provide to help their woeful economic situation. Secondly it is all to easy to say no we should protect the elephants at all costs, but we are dealing with human lives too, people are starving to death perhaps that takes precedence to absolute conservation, obviously limitations need to be in place etc but especially because of those storehouses I think it is a good idea considering the desperate situation the people of these countries find themselves in.

2. 0
    cosetteposted 6 years ago

no no NO no no no. thank you for that hub. i left you a comment.

3. 0
    StormRyderposted 6 years ago

NO! Not much more to say about this...NO!

4. tonymead60 profile image81
    tonymead60posted 4 years ago

Sadly it is inevitable as the pressure on these countries increases. I hope that somehow it will be avoided. The countries who accept these products , mainly China and the emerging India are the ones responsible. China has cleared great swaths of tropical forest in Madagascar to build a settlement for 40,000 people. This should have been prevented.

5. Paul Wingert profile image80
    Paul Wingertposted 4 years ago

No need for ivory, shark fin soup, whaling,or any other nonsense hunting!