jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

healthcare bill calls for "ready reserve corps"...

1. SparklingJewel profile image64
    SparklingJewelposted 7 years ago

a perspective on the reading of the healthcare bill that uses military language to create a corp of military doctors...???

another overlooked and undebated portion of the bill

http://video.foxnews.com/v/3941417/?pla … t_id=87284

2. livewithrichard profile image83
    livewithrichardposted 7 years ago

I agree with Judge Napolitano on his assessment that there is no need for this section of the law because there is already a pool of health care providers to pull from and that the Fed has no authority to call personnel from the National Guard unless we are at war.

I think the military language skews the (supposed) intended purpose of having a pool of health care providers at the ready to handle Domestic national emergencies such as 9/11 and Katrina.  But still, there is no need for it since every state and every hospital has a disaster plan in place. Language for better funding to train in those scenarios would have been better.

1. TheGlassSpider profile image80
      TheGlassSpiderposted 7 years ago in reply to this

You're right, there is no need for it. Since we've established that...why do you think it's there?

1. livewithrichard profile image83
        livewithrichardposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Well I just did a search for 'ready reserve corps' in the Reconciliation Act and there is no language for it so it was probably in the original House version.  Maybe people should do a little investigating instead of relying on outdated Youtube videos.  The date on the page has today's date but the Judge in the video refers to the 2700 page bill and we now know that the bill that passed was 2400 pages and the "fixes" brought it down to 2300. 

Why would it be in the original bill? probably because some over zealous Congressman's aide wanted to impress his/her boss and contribute something to the beast.

working