jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

History repeats itself good and not so good, what will we have now...?

1. SparklingJewel profile image67
    SparklingJewelposted 6 years ago

When giving his centennial address to Congress in 1876, President James Garfield issued the following warning:

“Now, more than ever before, the people are responsible for the character of their Congress. If that body be ignorant, reckless, and corrupt, it is because the people tolerate ignorance, recklessness, and corruption. If it be intelligent, brave, and pure, it is because the people demand these high qualities to represent them in the national legislature…If the next centennial does not find us a great nation…it will be because those who represent the enterprise, the culture, and the morality of the nation do not aid in controlling the political forces.”...

just as true today as then

1. 0
      Poppa Bluesposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I actually believe that is MORE true today then when Garfield said it. Back then, senators were appointed by the State's legislature. It wasn't until 1913 that the 17th amendment allowed the people to vote for their senators. Maybe that was the wrong thing to do since it seems once these guys are elected we can never get rid of them!

2. Ohma profile image81
    Ohmaposted 6 years ago

Yes it is well said, but I do think that the increased population from then to now may have some bearing on the subject.

1. SparklingJewel profile image67
      SparklingJewelposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Ohma...what do you mean?

It seems to me that more people can create a larger force for what is right, if....IF, they get informed, search their souls and stand up for what is Constitutionally, morally and psychologically sound...

1. Ohma profile image81
        Ohmaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I agree that it should be that way but I think that the reality is that because there are so many in number most people tend to take the stance that what they have to say will not matter or that it will not be heard so why bother saying it.

3. 0
    Brenda Durhamposted 6 years ago

I'm inclined to agree 90% with that quote.

4. Cagsil profile image83
    Cagsilposted 6 years ago

I would agree with the statement you made Jewels.

However, it's a disappointing reality to show, because it points to the underlying cause of the problem in America, in more ways than one way, which is now very obvious to many.

The biggest problem is a lack of knowledge. The size of America's population(agreeing with Ohma) is nothing compared to what it was then.

There are hundreds of thousands who are now living in America, and you would be lucky if some of them even knew what the Constitution actually is to begin with? So, you get my point.

Don't expect those who went through school to remember anything about the Constitution, until it warrants their attention, such as actions that are harmful to them or their freedoms.

I can pretty much sum up a lot of the problems due to a lack of knowledge, because many people do not really understand the way of life in America.

So, that is my take on it. smile