jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)

Can we PLEASE get NAFTA repealed?

1. JeniferD profile image62
    JeniferDposted 6 years ago

A big reason why the U.S. lost so many jobs was because of NAFTA (North American Free Trade Agreement).  BillClinton was responsible for signing this monster into law 17 years ago and look where it has gotten us: unemployed and/or homeless.

2. mikelong profile image82
    mikelongposted 6 years ago

NAFTA has created a lot of problems.

While American jobs have been lost to Mexico since the agreement passed, this trend had already been initiated by Mexico itself....NAFTA just exacerbated this process...

At the same time, NAFTA has enabled U.S. farmers to ship their products directly into Mexican markets without any tariffs and at lower overall prices than Mexican farmers need to take care of themselves and their families. Local Mexican farmers have increased difficulty selling their products in their own marketplaces, and when they are sold, they don't get the money that they need...

With this said, NAFTA has enabled the formation of transnational organizations, and is at least partially responsible for the increased grassroots mobilization of Mexican and American labor forces, and brings these groups closer together.  I am hopeful that NAFTA's opening of goods and money movement across borders can eventually also empower cross-border labor organization....This is what is vitally needed at this point, in my opinion....

There are ways to use this trade agreement to better ourselves and Mexico, but Americans have to stop viewing their southern neighbors as "foreignors" and "competitors" and start aiding them to have the same workplace protections that the United States requires..to compell the Mexican government to address the widely publicized worker abuse that is going on...from 10 plus hour workdays for relatively nothing to inadequate urban infrastructure in the major Mexican production cities, like Juarez...

Cutting NAFTA could make life worse, in the United States and Mexico....not to mention Canada, which has moved much of its production capacity to Mexico as well-to take advantage of cheap, unorganized labor...,

With the closure of the border-town maquiladoras, or a reduction in their production, the Northern Mexican population (which never existed prior to the 1970's/80's...will have very little choice but to illegally emigrate to the U.S..

3. JeniferD profile image62
    JeniferDposted 6 years ago

The U.S. unemployment rate, housing foreclosures, lower standards of living and rock-bottom wages speak for themselves.

The epidemic of Salmonella poisoning in produce and dry goods is on the rise due to companies cutting corners on sanitation practices and policies.

NAFTA is a piece of garbage meant to enrich the fat cats on Wall Street and our representatives who have stock in those companies. NAFTA puts corporations and shareholders first, not the American working class.

Corporations and employers alike are taking advantage of American workers by offering them lower wages; most folks can't live on minimum wage BTW, and this is why most American workers view the Hispanic populace as a threat because they are willing to work for next to nothing, yet, produce more results for their labor.

NAFTA wasn't good then, and it isn't good now.  NAFTA is killing America quickly.  Clinton should be horse-whipped for allowing this piece of garbage to become law.

4. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 6 years ago

What was Bill thinking??

1. 0
      LegendaryHeroposted 6 years ago in reply to this

"Good job Monica" lol

5. lovemychris profile image78
    lovemychrisposted 6 years ago

I agree. NAFTA was a rotten idea. For us and for Mexico. The workers at least...but some people (you know who) did rather well.....
    Same ones who always do well in a Corporatocracy.
    Who was against it? Kucinich!
    Who was against The Patriot Act ("I voted against it because I read it") Kucinich!
    Who was againt the bail-out? Kucinich!

and yet...people call him a kook.

6. MikeNV profile image75
    MikeNVposted 6 years ago

Clinton just started it rolling.  George Bush was a huge force behind NAFTA.

Ever been to Texas?  Heard of the Trans Texas Corridor?

There is a master plan... and it doesn't involve Americans... it involves ways for the Super Wealthy Elite to consolidate their power quest.

1. JeniferD profile image62
      JeniferDposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I'm with you on that.  The super wealthy, in my opinion, are worthless to this planet.  They only live to steal people's lives, their money, resources and they look upon the common man as cattle to be slaughtered.  I never saw the movie "Soylent Green", but, I heard enough about it.

Seriously creepy stuff.  hmm

7. mikelong profile image82
    mikelongposted 6 years ago

Absolutely...for the plutocracy.

Yet, the development of cross-border ngo's will be severely cut, in my opinion, if NAFTA, or smaller aspects of it, are thrown out with the "bath water."

To better protect both American and Mexican workers and endeavors, the nation that lauds itself on being the "city on the hill" and a figure of international responsibility needs to support labor reform in Mexico.

Great wealth will be made in Mexico, as it is naturally rich.
    There will be even greater wealth once the ports of Punta Colonet and Lazaro Cardenas are finished...which will put an effective end to the dominance of the Los Angeles/Long Beach corridor....

Either way, companies like Burlington Northern/Santa Fe win....and so does Guy Slim, who is not only behind this railroad, but who is a key financier behind the costruction of both aforementioned ports as well as infrastructure developer through companies like Ideal.  His wealth will greatly increase...but the workers at in Southern California will lose income, benefits, and jobs...

Jobs will be created both in Mexico and the United States...about one and a half million jobs stand to be created in Southern California over the next 20 years in the logistics sector...but 8-10 dollar an hour temp-jobs do not feed families.... What of their counterparts in Mexico?

Great wealth will be reaped, but how much will "trickle" back down?

How do we get it to flow in a more representative way? Or should Guy Slim and others like Maersk simply take what they wish?

http://www.caltrade.com/news/regions/no … a-colonet/