jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (12 posts)

Obama Saves the World

1. theirishobserver. profile image61
    theirishobserver.posted 6 years ago

Good morning,

I'm writing you from the largest gathering of world leaders that the United States has hosted since the founding of the United Nations 65 years ago. Forty-seven countries are joining forces at President Obama's Nuclear Security Summit to address the most daunting security threat of our time: nuclear terrorism.

Securing loose nuclear materials is a good example of some of the immediate challenges being discussed, but the focus is also on how we get to a place where the threat of nuclear weapons to humanity is eliminated altogether.
    To go over the progress that's been made, President Obama will hold a press conference at 4:30 p.m. EDT that you can watch live on WhiteHouse.gov. But you don't need to wait until then: Deputy National Security Advisor Ben Rhodes will answer your questions in a live web chat at 1:00 p.m. EDT.

So tune in to http://www.WhiteHouse.gov/nuclear-security-summit later today for both the web chat and the press conference.

Three very important things have happened recently to make our Nation – indeed the world – a safer place.

Last week the Defense Department released the President's Nuclear Posture Review, laying out a vision to, as the President put it, "reduce the role of nuclear weapons in our national security strategy and focus on reducing the nuclear dangers of the 21st century, while sustaining a safe, secure and effective nuclear deterrent for the United States and our allies and partners as long as nuclear weapons exist."

Two days after that, President Obama and Russian President Medvedev signed the landmark New START Treaty, which requires the United States and Russia to reduce -- by 30 percent below the levels in a treaty signed in 2002 -- the number of nuclear warheads they have deployed on intercontinental ballistic missiles, submarine-based ballistic missiles, and bombers.

Then, beginning on Sunday of this week, the President engaged in a steady stream of bilateral meetings before personally welcoming every delegation last night and holding a working dinner. Today, the President is chairing plenary sessions all day long to work toward solid, consensus approaches to this issue.

It's been a very busy, but productive few weeks, and there is much to talk about. So bring your questions to the live chat and tune in after that for the press conference:

1:00 p.m. EDT: Web chat with Deputy National Security Advisor Ben Rhodes
    4:30 p.m. EDT: Press Conference with President Barack Obama
    Both will be live on: http://www.WhiteHouse.gov/nuclear-security-summit.
    Thank you,

Denis McDonough
    Chief of Staff, National Security Staff

1. prettydarkhorse profile image64
      prettydarkhorseposted 6 years ago in reply to this

thank you Irish for the post, and I think China is backing up sanctions towards IRAN.

1. Sab Oh profile image60
        Sab Ohposted 6 years ago in reply to this

That falls under 'believe it when you see it.' Especially if trade talks sour between us.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image64
          prettydarkhorseposted 6 years ago in reply to this

lets see what will happen!

1. Sab Oh profile image60
            Sab Ohposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Not much else we can, I suppose!

2. 0
        Brenda Durhamposted 6 years ago in reply to this

"..a steady stream of bilateral meetings" by this President will do nothing to make U.S. safer, because this President has heretofore engaged in a steady stream of bilateral bullcrap that weakened US.    If he's so good, he should've already deterred Iran;  instead, he let it go until Iran built up its nuclear capabilities.

THIS President is a tyrant.
        A tyrant works his agenda by tearing down foundations and then "re-building" as HE sees fit.

Don't trust Obama to "save" anything but his own hide.

2. skyfire profile image74
      skyfireposted 6 years ago

Waiting for Sab Oh, Padrino's one liner post...

1. AdsenseStrategies profile image72
        AdsenseStrategiesposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I'll give you one, just to be deliberately provocative. I don't think Obama is so bad, but he is no superhuman, and besides, a government is not just made up of one person... This is a press release from the government itself, therefore it is not worth the paper it is written on. As usual these high level summits are by-definition an exercise in arrogance because we, the people of the world, are not deemed smart enough to be let in on all the details of what is said. So I am taking this all with a grain of salt.

That said, better an effort to tackle the problem than none at all.

Oh, that wasn't a one-liner after all. Oh well. roll

3. theirishobserver. profile image61
      theirishobserver.posted 6 years ago

skyfire - this tasty morsel should draw him out smile

1. alternate poet profile image74
        alternate poetposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Them out you mean big_smile   Isn't it also Poppa Blues and others ?  Maybe we could start a thread about how many splinters this particular thorn is made up from.

4. SparklingJewel profile image68
      SparklingJewelposted 6 years ago

I am all for what they appear to have accomplished...who can we really trust to abide by their word?   not terrorists, for sure.

and how much more US sovereignty and citizens' rights and freedoms will be laid on the chopping block to meet international "unity" on the issue?

I haven't read the "contracts" between the nations...have you?

No, Obama still hasn't proven his trustworthiness to me on this or any issue...as far as Constitutional freedoms go.

5. brethodge profile image59
      brethodgeposted 6 years ago

Different people different views.. some consider Obama as a villian of democracy and some people admire him.. what the fuss is all about.. I am not very political but really wnat to know the reason.. be short guyz..