jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (40 posts)

How do you feel when someone criticizes your political party?

1. profile image0
    woolman60posted 7 years ago

When some criticizes your political party, how do you respond, and do you find yourself using sarcasm to retaliate?

1. AdsenseStrategies profile image67
      AdsenseStrategiesposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I don't trust political parties, so I wouldn't say I "had" one

1. Sab Oh profile image58
        Sab Ohposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I don't trust anyone who claims to be an 'independent.' The two parties cover a broad spectrum.  I think some people are just afraid of being 'identified' and that's a shame.

I'm not American, or in America. So I don't live in a "two party state" roll

Yeah, good luck with that parlimentary mess.

Sadly, I would say that the "Westminster" model (the British model, more or less what Canada has too), is approximately as bad as the US model... I think they're both pretty dismal, frankly. What I mean by this is that the individual's vote gets drowned out in both cases... in the US your presidential vote goes into a big pot called an electoral college, and Canada and Britain it goes into a riding, where, if someone is a strong incumbent, and you don't like him or her, it's essentially pointless voting. (I'm sure Congressional and Senate elections are the same).

For all intents and purposes my presidential vote goes for who I voted for. Congressional votes are even more direct. The US system is focused on individual candidates. The parlimentary system is based on party.

1. Greek One profile image77
                  Greek Oneposted 7 years ago in reply to this

how many independents get elected to high office?

Relatively few. Much harder for them to raise money and do without the infrastructure a party offers.

2. AdsenseStrategies profile image67

The Westminster system is also based on candidates. You cannot vote for a party. You can only vote for a local representative. So this is the same as the US system (except that you have a presidential election on top of this).

1. Jeff Berndt profile image89
                    Jeff Berndtposted 7 years ago in reply to this

"The Westminster system is also based on candidates. You cannot vote for a party. You can only vote for a local representative. So this is the same as the US system (except that you have a presidential election on top of this)."

No, it's not the same, because in the US, you can vote a "straight ticket." There is a place on the ballot for voters to vote for one party's candidates across the board.

I suppose it's possible that in Sab Oh's state (wherever he lives), they don't have a straight ticket option, but in Michigan we do.

2. Padrino profile image57
          Padrinoposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I claim to be independent, I think there are good people on both sides of the political spectrum. I have voted for many Republicans and Democrats throughout my life and have only regretted one choice, that of voting for the current President.

2. Jeff Berndt profile image89
        Jeff Berndtposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Yeah, me neither. I've never voted a straight ticket in my life, and have voted for 3rd party candidates when there was one that was worth anything.

I tend to defend policies rather than parties, and if someone criticizes a policy I like, well, it depends on his mode of criticism. If they person is a blowhard who's just spouting a party-line, he'll get sarcasm. If he's honestly criticizing  the policy based on facts and honest analysis thereof, well, I say, let's talk. Heck, I might learn something to my benefit, and discover that the policy I was supporting isn't such a great idea after all. Or the opposite might happen.

It is possible for intelligent people of goodwill to disagree on matters of policy without one of them necessarily being a scoundrel. This is important to remember.

2. profile image0
      Poppa Bluesposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Actually I don't mind if anyone criticises my politics, or my party, actually I'm a registered independent and have been all my life. Any discourse is good it helps you to understand your own position as well as that of your opposition.

Yep. Once more agreeing with you... What is this??? What have you done to my mind... wink

3. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Yes it's irritating.  Yeah I'll use sarcasm in response sometimes.   Because I'm Republican.  And it's not the PARTY that needs criticism, it's the people who make up the Party who may need criticism.   The Republican Party Platform is sound and good.   Too bad that Platform isn't being adhered to like it should be.

4. lych200520022 profile image57
      lych200520022posted 7 years ago in reply to this

simply, well stay what you believe, listen sometimes their comment just be calm..

2. cupid51 profile image43
    cupid51posted 7 years ago

Positive criticism is always good!

3. Greek One profile image77
    Greek Oneposted 7 years ago

No, I don;t mind...

but if they start bad mouthing my favorite sports teams, then we have a serious problem

4. stephensaldana profile image61
    stephensaldanaposted 7 years ago

Political parties critism should not be hyped and must not e felt bad.. it is the one side of the same coin.. When you have come up with some idea than it has merits and demerits for different people as they see it differently... so not so bad...let people critisize and let me enjoy!

5. SparklingJewel profile image63
    SparklingJewelposted 7 years ago

...see.?....see how certain words and the use thereof bring unity across diversity???

Once we all learn that partisanship of politics hurts everyone, we will stop...oh, what a glorious day that will be big_smile

...there are many other aspects to that, I know, but one day.....................

6. habee profile image90
    habeeposted 7 years ago

I'm a Southern moderate Republican, and my best friend is a Northern liberal democrat. We discuss politics all the time and NEVER get upset with each other. I wish we could do the same on the forums!

7. profile image0
    Madame Xposted 7 years ago

Parties per se are not relevant and I think people get caught up in all the left-right stuff too much. What's really important is what someone with power is doing and why. It's irksome when someone decides I'm of one party or another and I will sometimes respond with sarcasm usually out of frustration over their unfounded assumption.

Assumptions also cut off any meaningful discussion.

8. europewalker profile image81
    europewalkerposted 7 years ago

Doesn't matter to me,everyone is entitled to their own opinion

9. Ralph Deeds profile image70
    Ralph Deedsposted 7 years ago

Intelligent, factual, criticism is one thing, name calling something else. Seems to me there's too much name calling and too little intelligent criticism on the HubPages forums. Before someone else points it out, I plead guilty to occasional name calling.

working