jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (10 posts)

What Happens When Government Decides What Freedom Is?

1. profile image0
    Poppa Bluesposted 6 years ago

Belgium, France, and Italy are all planning to ban the wearing of the Burqa and face veils called Niquabs because lawmakers view them as a symbol of subjugation of women. Perhaps they are, but shouldn't it be okay for women to allow themselves to be subjugated, or at least to wear clothing of their choice?

If this law stands can the government than bar people from wearing a cross or a star of David? If the law is struck down can I than be allowed to walk around completely naked?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100416/ts_ … istan_veil

2. Aya Katz profile image87
    Aya Katzposted 6 years ago

Belgium, France and Italy have never had separation of Church and State. Hopefully, a law will like that will never pass in the United States.

1. profile image0
      Poppa Bluesposted 6 years ago in reply to this

You gave me a thought. What if a Muslim woman that wears a Burqa is elected to office, will she be allowed to wear her garb in Congress or will this be considered an endorsement of a religion by the government?

1. PrettyPanther profile image85
        PrettyPantherposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Well, let's think this through.  Are Christians allowed to wear religious symbols (such as a cross on a chain) in Congress?  I'm guessing they are.  Why would a burqa be any different?

1. profile image0

It wouldn't! So I could see them banning a cross or a star of David too, or at least making it illegal to display it.

2. Aya Katz profile image87
        Aya Katzposted 6 years ago in reply to this

She'll be allowed to wear whatever she wants.

3. tobey100 profile image60
    tobey100posted 6 years ago

You mean they haven't yet?  It thought it was all decided

1. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 6 years ago in reply to this

If I see a person's face - I see a person. I see his/her approximate age, gender, his disposition, mood, his/her intentions towards me - friendly/unfriendly. if he/she has a flower, book or a weapon/nife in her/his hands. If I see a bunch of shapeless clothing with two holes for eyes,  I do not see a person, I do not know his/her intentions. It's insulting for me and disturbing to deal with a"shadow" instead of a person. That's how I feel. it's not like you are wearing clothes, It's like your clothes are wearing/hiding you!

1. profile image0

I agree with you there, but doesn't everybody have a right to be a shadow and to hide, or to be naked, open and revealing? Seems naked has been outlawed, so maybe they will ban the burqa.

4. habee profile image89
    habeeposted 6 years ago

I hope that never passes in the US! If a woman wants to wear a burqu, she should be able to. If she's being forced to wear one against her will, that's a different story.

working