jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

To avatar or not to avatar

1. 0
    chasingcarsposted 6 years ago

Before I signed up on HubNet, I considered whether of not to join as an individual or as a voice.  I chose the latter because I wanted to engage in intelligent discourse without personalities getting involved; I wanted my writing to speak for itself.  Another hubber thought the idea of not revealing oneself to be creepy.  What do you think?

2. 0
    Website Examinerposted 6 years ago

Not at all, it depends on your conduct. People who use their own names have different personalities, sometimes. Once you get in contact with other Hubbers directly, like email, probably you will end up using your name.

3. Urbane Chaos profile image93
    Urbane Chaosposted 6 years ago

I really don't think it matters at all - although I don't like having my real name out there; I don't like psychofreaks looking me up when I'm not ready for them.

I recently decided to share some information about me, but that's because I don't get to get on here as much as I'd like to.  It's nice to know a little about the author, but not so much that you know when they go to the bathroom.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image68
      Ralph Deedsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

One consideration is that consequences could arise if a prospective employer accessed comments or information you've posted on the Internet under your real name and was influenced not to hire you. Or if you have plans for running for a public office voters' opinions might be influenced favorably or unfavorably by what they found about you in the Internet. When I signed up for Hubpages I debated whether to use my real name or an avatar, and I decided to use my real name and a photo of myself because I'm retired and have no plans to run for public office. Nevertheless, I don't post anything that I don't believe to be true and that I'm willing to stand behind before anyone.

4. William R. Wilson profile image61
    William R. Wilsonposted 6 years ago

I'm writing on Hubpages to promote my writing (among other reasons).  So it makes sense to use my real name.

I also feel like I shouldn't hide my beliefs.  I refuse to be intimidated into anonymity. If someone weirdo truly wants to find me and harm me, a fake avatar probably wouldn't stop them. 

So it's partially a marketing strategy and it's partially a matter of conviction.  If someone refuses to hire me because of something I've written here, I probably don't want to work for them anyway.

5. Rafini profile image81
    Rafiniposted 6 years ago

I don't think you have to hide your personality behind an avatar, or even that you have to have an avatar in order to hide your personality.  Just do what feels right.