jump to last post 1-14 of 14 discussions (18 posts)

Get your pantries ready -

1. elayne001 profile image45
    elayne001posted 6 years ago

I read this post on:

The unpronounceable Icelandic volcano (Eyjafjallajokull) that is currently erupting and disrupting air traffic mostly over Europe is becoming quite a demonstration of natures ability to mess with our technology. A much bigger worry is a nearby volcano called Katla which is also located under a huge ice cap on iceland. Katla is one of the most dangerous volcanoes on the island and in the northern hemisphere. There seems to be a historic connection between the eruptions of Eyjafjallajokull and Katla which is potentially a very bad thing. These volcanoes are of a scale significant enough to literally cool the climate enough to effect agriculture on a world wide basis. One of the eruptions of Katla is being tied to the french revolution (famine) and if you don't think that major social upheavals can be food related, then you need to be reading the P.E.T.A. web site not this one.

In other words, if this volcanic system starts to really clear it's throat and start singing, we won't be worrying about global warming for a while. But we will be worried about the food lines and rationing cards put out by the government to control the flow of rare commodities such as edibles. A serious volcanic event is just about all it would take to through many world economies that are teetering on the brink regardless, right over the edge. Massive quantities of SO2 thrown into the stratosphere will cool the planet rapidly and likely could give us several years of terrible harvests. Get your pantry in order if it's not already.
    So, what do you think?

2. LeonJane profile image87
    LeonJaneposted 6 years ago

Could be survivalblog just blowing smoke out of their you-know-what’s (pardon the pun), although I have been noticing more volcanic/tsunami/earthquake activity lately (or is that just the media jumping on the hysteria bandwagon). If it is true i've gotta make sure that i've got plenty of baked bean tins in the pantry...

3. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 6 years ago

Oops! I thought this said, "Get your PANTIES ready"!

1. Betty Reid profile image60
      Betty Reidposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yeah, I read it that way a couple of times too.  I guess if the climate change ruins the cotton crops, we'll have to switch to synthetic undies.

2. elayne001 profile image45
      elayne001posted 6 years ago in reply to this

hehehehe - that would be a good idea too - you may need some extras if we have a big one!

4. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 6 years ago

5. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 6 years ago

Ok after reading all the posts I went back out to check out the other threads and now I can't see this ones title without reading panties! mad lol tongue

Thanks guys! tongue

6. 0
    sneakorocksolidposted 6 years ago

Very, very smart thread!smile

7. 0
    Poppa Bluesposted 6 years ago

But wait! Isn't the volcano spewing carbon? And doesn't caron lead to warming? Now you're saying the Earth is going to cool? I'm so confused!

1. princess g profile image60
      princess gposted 6 years ago in reply to this

All the ash in the air could block sunlight, which could lead to cooling. It's happened before. But this volcano isn't really a big one, so I doubt that's much of a threat.

8. Wayne Orvisburg profile image81
    Wayne Orvisburgposted 6 years ago

I'm sure this old planet still has a trick or two up her sleeve to keep us all in check.

9. maven101 profile image75
    maven101posted 6 years ago

Oh, habee...Freudian mind-slip..?

10. 69
    logic,commonsenseposted 6 years ago

Does someone have their pantries in a bunch? smile

1. Betty Reid profile image60
      Betty Reidposted 6 years ago in reply to this

11. CrystalStarWoman profile image84
    CrystalStarWomanposted 6 years ago

It's actually a bit of a wake up call seeing how this 'little volcanic eruption' has had such a huge knock-on effect with the major disruption caused by all the planes being grounded! The whole transportation system is in complete choas over here at the moment.

It's even effecting my own little business as people order their birthday, anniversary and christening gifts, etc, I can't guarantee how quickly they will receive them as the postal service usually uses internal flights to move mail around the UK and Ireland - now it's having to go by road and sea...

Millions of pounds are being lost every day. Imagine if the bigger one goes off and the planes are grounded for weeks? How long before it effects food transportation, etc. If this continues I could certainly see the need for getting our pantries in order!

12. LeonJane profile image87
    LeonJaneposted 6 years ago

We just got one of the worst quakes on record here in Western Australia, today 20-Apr-2010. It was only a small one by most standards, only 5.0 on the scale. But we never get earthquakes here in Australia. What's with this earthquake weather!?

Mother Nature must be cleaning out her pantry in her panties!

Must be time for the next ice age? or the next continental tectonic plate shift? or the next island creation or destruction?

13. 0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 6 years ago

oh, sorry I thought it said panties,

so glad I did not post the photo I was about to *whew*

14. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 6 years ago

Who's wearing pantries? Raise your hand!