jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

Wow! Yeah...we've come a long way, baby. *sigh* A little shocked

1. TheGlassSpider profile image81
    TheGlassSpiderposted 6 years ago

Check this out. A shining moment in politics. *drip drip goes the sarcasm*

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn(dot)com/2010/04/23/gop-apologizes-for-put-her-back-in-the-kitchen-slap-at-democrat/?fbid=KIJNYfIsVJC

Replace the (dot) with a . and see what I mean.

What are your thoughts?

2. Shadesbreath profile image88
    Shadesbreathposted 6 years ago

Yeah, that was not a good political move on the part of the people who put out the flyer, but I gotta tell you, her response is a sad reflection on the weak, pathetic variety of politicans we have these days.  You think Winston Churchill or Ronald Reagan or Margaret Thatcher would have cried "Boo hoo, they insulted women everywhere" like that?  (I'm not putting the latter 2 on the same plane with the former, btw.)   They would have blasted back, some witty one liner that turned that line back around on its originators. 

Surely she could have come up with some, "Yes, and while I'm in the kitchen, maybe I'll whip up some headcheese as clearly you could use a brain" or something (something actually funny, but you get it)... just... that was a sad moment in politics when all they can do is, "I'm telling on you for what you said."

God, if our politicians are going to all be weak and ineffective, they could at least be clever.  That was an awesome opportunity for her to shine and she blew it. Not like she doesn't have a team of writers.  <sigh>

3. TheGlassSpider profile image81
    TheGlassSpiderposted 6 years ago

I certainly see your point; although I’m not sure a pithy one-liner would get to the heart of the matter…although that seems to be all most people want these days.

However, Sutton’s response: “I can't imagine how making such a belittling comment about women could be in any way educational"

beats the crud out of Heck’s spineless idiocy: "So the words themselves weren't intended to be offensive or sexist."

Hell, he could have made it into a shining moment by firing an aide and being bombastic about how such drivel wasn’t going to be allowed in his Republican Party, i.e., “who wrote this crap, get them out of here!” (I mean, either response is a load of BS, right?) He could have at least attempted appalled spin and made himself look less like a caveman. LOL

1. Shadesbreath profile image88
      Shadesbreathposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I think it was probably an attempt at glib humor that back-fired. This is not the political climate, or social climate, for that kind of thing.  That was just bad political decision making.

I still say, Winston Churchill would have turned it on them and not made himself look thin-skinned or like a panderer.

TheGlassSpiderposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Well yeah, but Churchill was...well, Churchill. You know?

1. Shadesbreath profile image88
          Shadesbreathposted 6 years ago in reply to this

lol true.  I shouldn't compare mortal wit with his, should I?

TheGlassSpiderposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Well, if you do the result is likely going to be disappointment.

working